Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

TH400 in A8

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
you have one in your car?
What's the point of asking .."You have one in your car?" I Daily drive and dragrace my Hellcat!

I stated the Fastest Hellcats are changing over to TH400s.

Most of those Hellcats are race built and track purposed.
Sure, take the shoot off and they can street drive it, but most do not.

These guys have been modding and Tuning their Hellcats in stages for years now.
From my own experience, adding Parts &Tuning, learning, gaining the experience and knowledge along the way is a good thing to do.

The middle of the chain builds will always be much larger than those at the Top. But the Top will help make it better for the middle .

Now, that other Hellcats are starting to use the TH400's the trickle down of more parts and better parts will become available. Another level or stage kit will be offered.

BTW, If it means anything to you @vortecd, I do have a 2010 SRT8 Challenger which has a TH400 in it. 😎

Happy Easter,
Enjoy your Day!

Linda :)

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
In the Mustang world as u make more power the auto becomes unreliable due to gearing and the TH400 becomes necessary. Anyone going low to mid 8's in a Hellcat should stick with the auto. They can be made to handle a shit ton of power these days.

But lets be real.... Marc's M&M Shifter looks bad f-ing ass and that alone is reason enough to swap to a TH400 lol.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
What's the point of asking .."You have one in your car?" I Daily drive and dragrace my Hellcat!

I stated the Fastest Hellcats are changing over to TH400s.

Most of those Hellcats are race built and track purposed.
Sure, take the shoot off and they can street drive it, but most do not.

These guys have been modding and Tuning their Hellcats in stages for years now.
From my own experience, adding Parts &Tuning, learning, gaining the experience and knowledge along the way is a good thing to do.

The middle of the chain builds will always be much larger than those at the Top. But the Top will help make it better for the middle .

Now, that other Hellcats are starting to use the TH400's the trickle down of more parts and better parts will become available. Another level or stage kit will be offered.

BTW, If it means anything to you @vortecd, I do have a 2010 SRT8 Challenger which has a TH400 in it. 😎

Happy Easter,
Enjoy your Day!

So my point was the OP asking has not even run as fast as your best time. In a full out race car the 400 may be the way to go but for a street cat just into the 8s the A8 should be fine

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
So my point was the OP asking has not even run as fast as your best time. In a full out race car the 400 may be the way to go but for a street cat just into the 8s the A8 should be fine
I understand that, but I beleive he is building his Hellcat for race only.
Maybe he will install a TH400 and maybe not.
Many A8 Transmissions that are racing 8s get way more refreshed than we see posted about.

Knowing the availability and knowledge of what it takes to install a TH400 ahead of time is good information.
It will help with set future goals for those who want to take their Hellcats to the next levels.

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #25
Sell 8hp90, torque converter, flex plate, headlamp to dash harness, engine harness, brake pedal, install brake/clutch pedal assembly/slave cylinder (needed to start the car), bench flash pcm with m6 OS, install m6 engine harness, m6 headlamp to dash harness, sell ESM, sell driveshaft, sell crossmember, get reverse lockout solenoid for tr6060, reconfigure bcm, and car will start/run with your regular m6 tune with a th400. Won’t pay for all of it, but would pay for half

Last edited:
OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #26
My car has been through multiple configurations, as I said I was going to go with the th400 originally over the a8 - I know what it takes for a th400 to work with an m6 car, which is literally nothing - it just works. Was curious if there had been some additional aftermarket development to make it work with an a8 car that doesn’t involve ($$$) what I stated in my post above

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #27
The RFH control module also learns the configuration of the car from the BCM - no need to program that. Biggest secret is after you do everything, you have to run the ABS diagnostic procedure and actuate it

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whats the weight difference between the two? Anyone?

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #29
Just a lot more tried and true aftermarket solutions when it comes to the th400 and you’ll always be able to get parts because of the aftermarket. Good luck in a few years when production winds down, stock is depleted and you need an 8hp90 case. I like doing things a bit differently. The trans brake options alone for staging is worth a th400 when chasing 10ths of a second. Just my opinion on things. Getting too hot to race, getting ready to take car apart (as usual) so just looking for some info and contemplating options. With a gear vendor, you can drive the car across country with a th400 if you wanted

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #30
Whats the weight difference between the two? Anyone?
That’s a good question, also curious about that

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #31
The hp90 weighs a lot more than the tr6060 I know that much

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
If I can remember (sometimes I can’t) the weight savings is 40 lbs. There can also be some savings with the converter. The OE Demon Converter I was running when I switched weighed a lot. The new billet one I have now is half of that thing.

Blown7

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Woodstock
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Trackhawk
Why anyone would decide now...years later...
A 4L80E is hands down a winner over the TH400
I've running a 4L80E in a Jeep CJ7 behind a Hellcat ....it is so much more drivable and just not for raceday.

Blown7

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Woodstock
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Trackhawk
:unsure:
Besides all the internal beef ups fit the 4L80 with overdrive

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #35
:unsure:
Besides all the internal beef ups fit the 4L80 with overdrive
I want to say there’s 1 person who has a 4l80 in a hellcat, and they’re much more expensive than a th400.

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes, if I TT my Redeye it will be 4l80. Ive looked at a couple. With billet converter its about $15k to handle 2500 hp. But thats heavier than a TH400. Do u have it set up to shift automatically or just manual?

Why anyone would decide now...years later...
A 4L80E is hands down a winner over the TH400
I've running a 4L80E in a Jeep CJ7 behind a Hellcat ....it is so much more drivable and just not for raceday.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Does anyone here have experience with the BCM/RF hub reprogramming for an A8 to th400 swap. Car 2019 Widebody ScatPack R/T. An associate of mine can’t get it to work after getting the modules back from a well known tuner.

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #38
Does anyone here have experience with the BCM/RF hub reprogramming for an A8 to th400 swap. Car 2019 Widebody ScatPack R/T. An associate of mine can’t get it to work after getting the modules back from a well known tuner.
Charger or challenger?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
There’s a lot more to it than just plug and play with the hacked control modules. We had to do some repinning at the PCM. You have to wire in a neutral safety that works with the shifter so the car will start. You also have to retune. Auto and manual tunes are not the same. Your car is a manual now and the auto tuning files you have been using can’t be used.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
For clarity this is not my car, however the tuning has been changed, the pcm has been re-pinned and a neutral safety switch is wired in. The issue this person is having is a bitch of the time once he got the modules back.