Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Jokerz Ported Magnuson 2650 426 stroker Build!

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Hope you get it working. Brings me back to the days of being one of the first to get a F1 pro charger to work "well" on an LS f-body....needed a spring loaded tensioner. Tossed belt after belt after belt. R&D...

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Welcome to R&D, it’s a special club where you sponsor mopar. And pay for everything.

Don’t you feel special?

OP
Primetime Hellcat 17

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #163
Lmao......think god you guys are hear to keep me from going insane 😬🤨🥴. I just don’t get when a shop has solved the issue that are the same as mine, & their not willing to share the information. WTF it’s not like it came from outer space or worth millions of dollars. I told 2 shops I’m willing to pay$$ just to hear or tell me what they did & I hear I will get back to you or sorry it was a 1 time special bracket for their customer. This is not Primetime! I will keep on grinding away and researching. Also what Marc said up top...... absolutely 100% agree! Magnuson is not ready for me lol. Also H Pindy I agree with your comment that magnuson slapped that SC on a stock Hellcat & was like ok we’re good now let’s sell it.
Now when this is all figured out and SRT AutoWorks gets my car dialed in with Tim Barth I’m gonna tell Magnuson to go to Hell lol.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I find a lot a places are like this . They keep everything secret and are not willing to share . They think it's black magic or something. The worst part is I have seen them asking questions on multiple forums asking for help or ideas when they have a problem.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I still have high hopes for the little Maggie. This whole snafu could be because of a bad tensioner. The report is that the American Racing Solutions billet tensioner proved to be off when the laser was used to check alignment. These tensioners have proven to be good on many of the high boost cars that have used them (mine included). So getting a oddball would just be bad luck. For those that are learning.... the stock tensioner has a very weak spring in it compared to the billet version. Like much of the issues us “R&D” folks run into..... it was designed for 11 lbs. When you throw 25 lbs at that belt, it slams that stock tensioner to the stop like a hammer. A number of them have broken as a result. One thing some don’t realize is that the belt stretches when working against the force it takes to accelerate the blower like this. That’s what the spring loaded tensioner is there for. To keep that slack under control. The idler pulleys are added if necessary to increase the wrap on the supercharger pulley so it has enough belt on it to do the job without slipping. This is where the Magnuson layout is lacking. Without idlers, it doesn’t have enough belt wrap to start increasing the boost past a certain level. I don’t know what that level is (stock?) but James here has exceeded that by a bunch. He went to 25 lbs instantly and past 900whp by just over 4000rpm when the belt let go. So this is where the two steps forward/one step back part of “R&D” comes in. Put the stock (straight) tensioner back on to address that problem and go with a less aggressive pulley on the supercharger. I am going to suggest getting some video of that stock tensioner and supercharger pulley while reving the engine and then put the camera on a tripod to see it on a full pull on the dyno (I know I sure as hell wouldn’t be standing that close during that). Anyway... I predict that the aftermarket will address the belt issues for Magnuson and will come up with the necessary dual idlers and other pieces to get the job done, and then Magnuson will follow with a factory package once all the R&D has been done for them.

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Can you buy an adjustable idler pulley? In the picture above that looks like the supercharger pulley is adjustable. I have the after market 3 inch metco idler pulley. I was thinking of going to their 3.5 inch idler pulley.

OP
Primetime Hellcat 17

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #167
Well woke up to some good news. This set up might be available to purchase soon. They are quit a few requests for his custom bracket and pulley set up.
I told him that I’m first lol. 7C257E3A-52AE-4B05-A062-D822480EA37B.png AD3FE315-F798-4C84-97E5-EFA0527600DA.jpeg

OP
Primetime Hellcat 17

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #168
Can you buy an adjustable idler pulley? In the picture above that looks like the supercharger pulley is adjustable. I have the after market 3 inch metco idler pulley. I was thinking of going to their 3.5 inch idler pulley.
I have a Tim Barth adjustable idler pulley on the car right now. Tommy put the 3.5 pulley back on and put a knew belt on it yesterday. He is gonna do some street pulls and see if everything looks good. If so I will wait till this bracket/ pulley combo is available to purchase. Then after that we’re gonna put the 3.25 on turn it up.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
You need to crop your pictures! That dual idler setup is as trick as it gets. Magnuson...Wake up!!! 250C1440-35BC-49D4-8ACC-47D2CEEEA99E.jpeg

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I was hoping to see this combo done. Good luck on getting this figured out.

I have decided to remove my 4.5 for a stock ported 2.4 S/C with a new rotor plate. I'm thinking I should be making between 1000 and 1100 WHP with a stock motor.

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
The problem is we are building racing setups and using crappy street blowers that these manufacturers are putting out for the general public. None of these blowers are designed for what we are doing at all.
And I can assure you that they never tested these blowers under these capacities that we are.

aside from that, there are countless threads of guys like us and I can asssure you thousands more that aren’t on the internet who have run into all these problems.

we are dropping all this money on engines and drivetrain and the blower we put a street blower for the general public on the car.

the whipple 4.5 uses the same cooling brick as the whipple 2.9. Go figure. The blower cannot force anymore air through the system. It’s inefficient.

this magnuson will eventually run into the same problems, that’s until you have belt slip or many other types of gremlins along the way.

rant over

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
The problem is we are building racing setups and using crappy street blowers that these manufacturers are putting out for the general public. None of these blowers are designed for what we are doing at all.
And I can assure you that they never tested these blowers under these capacities that we are.

aside from that, there are countless threads of guys like us and I can asssure you thousands more that aren’t on the internet who have run into all these problems.

we are dropping all this money on engines and drivetrain and the blower we put a street blower for the general public on the car.

the whipple 4.5 uses the same cooling brick as the whipple 2.9. Go figure. The blower cannot force anymore air through the system. It’s inefficient.

this magnuson will eventually run into the same problems, that’s until you have belt slip or many other types of gremlins along the way.

rant over
I’ll say one thing about that...... Whipple 3.8. 🤩

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
I have a Tim Barth adjustable idler pulley on the car right now. Tommy put the 3.5 pulley back on and put a knew belt on it yesterday. He is gonna do some street pulls and see if everything looks good. If so I will wait till this bracket/ pulley combo is available to purchase. Then after that we’re gonna put the 3.25 on turn it up.
So you put the old Metco 3.5 back on?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

rant over
You ranter you. 😂 I had a long and very interesting talk with a tech at Whipple. You know all about the plenum spacer. So did he. When I told him I saw a solid 100whp increase with that.... he wasn’t surprised. “There’s more than that to be found in that area”. But..... it’s all about marketing. You can’t sell a supercharger that is going to require cutting or replacing the hood. So they had to compromise the hell out of that 4.5 to sell it. You’re right... as that is, it’s very inefficient. All that being said... the 4.5 is a dinosaur compared to the new Gen 5 coming out. I asked about the stories I’ve been hearing rumored. He said the new 3.8 will blow people’s minds. I said... so what are we looking at? Well... depends on what you’ve got under it but as far as the supercharger capability goes...... 2200hp. 🤯

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
The gen 5 Whipple is bad ass. This is another reason I'm getting rid of my 4.5. Once the new Whipple comes out you won't be able to get rid of the 4.5.

I was really looking forward to seeing what the 2650 Maggy would do as I'm a big fan of the TVS 2300. I have 4 cars with the TVS 2300's on them.

DMNkilr

Founding Member
Premium Account
Doctor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Highlands Ranch
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
I’ll say one thing about that...... Whipple 3.8. 🤩
Or....... 91004799_141185000645645_7310052118956605440_n.jpg

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
The gen 5 Whipple is bad ass. This is another reason I'm getting rid of my 4.5. Once the new Whipple comes out you won't be able to get rid of the 4.5.

I was really looking forward to seeing what the 2650 Maggy would do as I'm a big fan of the TVS 2300. I have 4 cars with the TVS 2300's on them.
Lol. I have to admit the 4.5 resale question has already crossed my mind. As much of a dinosaur as it may be... I love mine. It is making good power now (1202whp) and is remarkably responsive. Much more than the 2.4 ever was. Throttle response is outstanding. I’m at only 22 lbs now with the 4.0 pulley and I asked my tuner (Barth) if we wanted to kick it up and he said yes. That’s what initiated the call to Whipple. To see if a 3.5 pulley would be something to do considering rotor rpm. He asked the questions and did the math. He said that the 3.5 would be perfect. 1250+whp here we come.

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
The 4.5 Whipple works much better on a larger CID motor. You have an additional 50 CID.

OP
Primetime Hellcat 17

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #179
So you put the old Metco 3.5 back on?
It’s the 3.5 SC pulley from Magnuson.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
The 4.5 Whipple works much better on a larger CID motor. You have an additional 50 CID.
Haha. Yep. About the only thing putting the 4.5 on a stock motor does is change what it looks like under the hood.