Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Cost of taking a Hellcat from 707hp to 800-850 RWHP?

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
With 2.85 & 93, I don't think the BAP is needed, I guess it can't hurt.
He said he’s seeing the older models loosing fuel pressure due to aging pumps

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Would you recommend the aluminum DS? What else is an option for the half shaft that works?
DS - yes , stock axles are good up to 850 > 900 hp.

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
He said he’s seeing the older models loosing fuel pressure due to aging pumps
Yeah, that might be, or see about replacing the stock pump if racing it, because if the fuel pump goes bad then even the BAP might not save it.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I bought a used low miles set for $300 that I've had for 2 years, haven't needed them yet but have them incase I do.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Had both of mine replaced 3,000 miles ago. They went bad. Just buy a red eye and stick a CAI and belt on it. I looked into it before purchasing a Hell Cat instead of a Red Eye. For $10,000 to get that extra 100 HP,,, hell I could do that myself in the back yard. Belt, tune it your self, tuna commander, injectors, ect. Can't add up to $10,000.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Stay at or below 800rwhp on 93. That's really all it can support safely. That goes for standard HC, or RE.

The recipe is pretty simple, 2.85 Hellraiser pulley, tune, injectors. Make sure to use a well known tuner. Mike@OSTDyno, Curt Dusterhoff, Josh from HHP all come to mind. I run a 2.72 Hellraiser pulley on 93 but it only makes 20 or 30 more RWHP than a 2.85 on 93. I just wanted more for good fuel at the track and it works great there, so purchase according to your intended use. Straight up fast street car stick with a 2.85.

I wouldn't fool with cats or anything like that. Makes the cars obnoxiously loud in my opinion and a pita to pass emissions if you have that where you live. Mine has cats and runs great. HPIndy is a special case as in Canada they get 94 octane and he's using a RE blower so more volume of air on less boost, so not apples to apples for your setup.

The Hellcat motors have shown over time to have a weak area in terms of rods. That's what failed on my original motor. RE engine is supposed to be 30% stronger in that regard, but who really knows. AJ claims no more than 850rwhp on a stock engine whether Hellcat or RE.

I've been on 93 for over a year and lots of pulls on the highway, but never race on 93. I put good Renegade RM109 race fuel in the car for that and bump the power to take advantage at the track.

I've recently started fooling with Flex Fuel and it's the business. If you have E85 10 miles from your house, that's the way to go for sure. Mike@OST setup my Flex Fuel tune and Curt Dusterhoff is known for them as well. It's awesome to pick up 70-100rwhp from a simple fuel change that's $1.53 a gallon around here.
Here, we have no E85 (which makes no sense). Nearest is 45 miles in two directions.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
If you’re even considering e85, that changes things :cool:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Stock axles are fine.
Unless you're a "prepper" or know you're going to just go absolutely ape with it regularly in locations where you will have good traction. If you're hooking hard and working the car often enough, it is something to consider. If you're looking mainly to talk up the car (and there's nothing wrong with bragging) with a few roll races or hard launches every now and then, you'd probably be fine leaving them alone.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I saw Racer X break his axles and he upgraded. I know even with a solid rear, dr's and wheel hop will break shit. Figure if you have the power to go 9's axles are not a bad idea

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I saw Racer X break his axles and he upgraded. I know even with a solid rear, dr's and wheel hop will break shit. Figure if you have the power to go 9's axles are not a bad idea
Yep, anything can happen, I even ran 10.20's with stock DS with DR's, stock boost, 93 tuned, but when I did 2.85 then I went with the dual cv DSS DS. But still on stock axles & race as much as I can.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Thread Starter #73
He also drag races his cars. I watch his channel too. If I do this it’ll probably not be till the end of next year. But all this well informed information definitely got my noggin going

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #74
Had both of mine replaced 3,000 miles ago. They went bad. Just buy a red eye and stick a CAI and belt on it. I looked into it before purchasing a Hell Cat instead of a Red Eye. For $10,000 to get that extra 100 HP,,, hell I could do that myself in the back yard. Belt, tune it your self, tuna commander, injectors, ect. Can't add up to $10,000.
Thanks for the advice hickster.. I may be able to write a better punctuated sentence then you.. but I definitely don’t have your handy skills. My handy skills are pretty low.. aside from doing small bolt on operation catch can, CAI I’m not really comfortable doing pulley, tune or injector stuff.. I’ll leave that to a professional that’s not me pissing in the wind 😂

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #75
I am a very good listener though. And I’m taking all the advice in.. it seems where I’m at it wouldn’t really make sense to just pulley tune the charger on 93 octane tune because well I already have a Redeye with .309 gears. So if I’m gonna dump some cash I figure at this point I might as well go big. As I said I really need to research this E85 availability a little more carefully.. see if it’s in any other spots I take my car.. or heading to the shore points of OCMD where I go sometimes.. I want to see if there’s E85 availability on that route.. the idea of a flex tune does interest me.. but I’d probably rather just have the shop do it on one fuel type and be done so I’m not playing around with things I may potentially be unaware of... it’s seems from what I gather if I do like 800-850 wheel HP build and run E85 I should be safe and I can potentially add and probably will add most of the important stuff to give the car the backbone to handle. Obviously I’ll need another tire mod. Because the 295 rear ps4s while adequate at 707 crank power will probably be boloney skins for a 800WHP+ build.. maybe just throw a 305 Nitto on my 10.5s at first and see how squirrelly it could potentially be then look into upping that setup too.. $$$$$ lots of dollar signs haha. My plan is the charger I should have paid off sometime in the beginning of next year.. so by the end of the year 2021 I’ll have some extra money and that will be about the time ill make a decision on modding.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #76
Definitely love my charger.. but I’ve started to find I’m driving it less because well no surprise here the Redeye is faster.. and honestly to me the Redeye feels fast enough.. at least for now.. and it got my brain to thinking.. well I know the charger is fast but imagine if I did a build like we have been discussing.. It’ll be like a 4 door sleeper so to speak. I mean people are already going to know it’s fast because it’s a kitty.. but they won’t know just how fast until they want to test it.. All these new cars are only getting faster.. so I’m definitely keeping it in mind for the end of next year like I said.. maybe it’s time I up my game on the Charger.. it’ll make me want to drive the car more for sure. I’ll probably fall in love with it all over again.. but the important part is it’s my baby! So I want the build to be SAFE. That’s #1 most important to me. So I’d probably just do DS, rear brace right from the get go.. so I’m not playing the ticking time bomb game. Because even though I’ll take it easy most of the time.. we all know what happens some of the time when you have the road to yourself at the right time of the day.. and that’s usually when shit happens right.. when you least expect it.. so I definitely don’t want one of those “Oh Shit!” moments..

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #77
Another thing I’ve been thinking is you see challenger builds everywhere right.. our members and YouTube challenger builds everywhere.. which hey challenger builds are great but there’s a lot less charger builds in comparison.. I just think that aspect is kind of cool. And a 4 door with real modern supercar power would be hilarious.. of course I’d keep it full weight... put myself and 3 of my friends in it comfortably and find the nearest c8 or GT500 to blow off 😂. Or just toy with anyone that has a quote unquote fast car..

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
He also drag races his cars. I watch his channel too. If I do this it’ll probably not be till the end of next year. But all this well informed information definitely got my noggin going
I think everyone turns their car up to go drag race just because that is what I do:) If not going to the track you shouldn't need a driveshaft or axles

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
If I'm not mistaken, Racer X broke his axles here in Houston where I race too at HRP on around 900 > 950 rwhp ?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
It had a little over 1000 hp on stock axles.