Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Cost of taking a Hellcat from 707hp to 800-850 RWHP?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If going to the same dyno after making changes SAE will tell you if it picked up or lost power.

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
The more I’m reading I think it sounds like E85 would be a better route.. I have to look more into the availability of this in my area. But that 10 mile away wawa gas station has it apparently.. so what do you think a proper build on E85 that does get me 800-850 Whp cost? And what’s an itemized list look like? I guess the 10 percent lower I’d want and probably a diff brace.. would the charger DS be okay just doing street pulls at that power level? Not like blasting it too hard out of the hole.. or would I have to go aluminum DS?
You will make more power on e-85. You can always buy some VP gas containers and fill them up so you dont have to travel that 10mile trip. That e-85 burns much faster than pump. I know you have a budget but look into some drop in pistons and rods. Labor will be expensive on that part. Then you will know your block is beefed up.
e-85= 1300cc injectors too.
Up your build cost to 15K and get it done right.
Just my opinion
Your gonna love the knew power no matter what you do.
Good luck 👍

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
If going to the same dyno after making changes SAE will tell you if it picked up or lost power.
That is correct. I always ask for my dyno run files. The dynojet Winpep software is free to down load and you can switch back and forth.

I'm on Flex Fuel E85 with ID1000s by the way, twin pumps though. I tested on full E85 in like 40 degree weather and the injectors were close but not maxed out. Having said that get whatever injectors your tuner wants as that's a big deal in getting things right and they'll have done research on that.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I wouldn't get too hung up on STD vs SAE. STD is what the car actually made in the conditions it was tested in. SAE is just a base line adjustment so dyno information from all over the world in differing conditions can be compared. SAE could read higher than STD depending on conditions, or vice versa.
I agree, I'm not hung up on it, just pointing out that some Dyno #'s get blown out of proportion depending on conditions & Dyno settings. It does make a difference.
STD will show hp for that particular moment in time.
SAE compensates for temp to 72* & 65% humidity.
So depending on what time of year & temps, will depend on what the Dyno will show.
If you do it when it's hot, SAE will show more hp.
If it's done in colder weather, STD will show more hp.
Most the time I see STD #'s on others sheets.

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
When publishing for others to see I use SAE so it's comparable. Personally I don't care much about dyno numbers other than baseline/mod type stuff. The track is where it's at.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
When publishing for others to see I use SAE so it's comparable. Personally I don't care much about dyno numbers other than baseline/mod type stuff. The track is where it's at.
Same here, the track #'s tell it, & then there's track conditions, DA & track prep. :LOL:

WidebodyCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Holbrook
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Widebody Hellcat
Stay at or below 800rwhp on 93. That's really all it can support safely. That goes for standard HC, or RE.

The recipe is pretty simple, 2.85 Hellraiser pulley, tune, injectors. Make sure to use a well known tuner. Mike@OSTDyno, Curt Dusterhoff, Josh from HHP all come to mind. I run a 2.72 Hellraiser pulley on 93 but it only makes 20 or 30 more RWHP than a 2.85 on 93. I just wanted more for good fuel at the track and it works great there, so purchase according to your intended use. Straight up fast street car stick with a 2.85.

I wouldn't fool with cats or anything like that. Makes the cars obnoxiously loud in my opinion and a pita to pass emissions if you have that where you live. Mine has cats and runs great. HPIndy is a special case as in Canada they get 94 octane and he's using a RE blower so more volume of air on less boost, so not apples to apples for your setup.

The Hellcat motors have shown over time to have a weak area in terms of rods. That's what failed on my original motor. RE engine is supposed to be 30% stronger in that regard, but who really knows. AJ claims no more than 850rwhp on a stock engine whether Hellcat or RE.

I've been on 93 for over a year and lots of pulls on the highway, but never race on 93. I put good Renegade RM109 race fuel in the car for that and bump the power to take advantage at the track.

I've recently started fooling with Flex Fuel and it's the business. If you have E85 10 miles from your house, that's the way to go for sure. Mike@OST setup my Flex Fuel tune and Curt Dusterhoff is known for them as well. It's awesome to pick up 70-100rwhp from a simple fuel change that's $1.53 a gallon around here.
So “just” the flexfuel mod gives you 100hp?
What else do you have to change in that mod?

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
So “just” the flexfuel mod gives you 100hp?
What else do you have to change in that mod?
It requires a dual fuel pump set up and would also work better with an even larger injector. ID 1200 or 1300 injectors plus the tune for it.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
The "fuel" in flex fuel is where the power comes from LOL.

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
You say 93 only. Do you have e85 available at all? The safety issue is pump gas. You’re looking to add another 200whp to a motor that already is proven to pull timing on occasion to be safe. Speedy has done a lot of data logging with these things and even lost a motor in the process. He definitely has something to say about what you should and shouldn’t try to do with pump gas. Even the lower percent ethanol is going to be better for safe hp than pump gas. The flex fuel route is going to be a better choice for a increase like you’re wanting. Ultimately it comes down to the tuner. The good ones will usually tune on the conservative side because they don’t want to get a rep for blowing up engines. When you start increasing the boost, you start taking away its ability to protect itself and do you really know what is coming out of that pump? The shop I work with won’t even do pump gas builds. It’s not that they can’t produce increased dyno numbers.... they know that with all the variables on the street and at the pump it’s a disaster waiting to happen followed by the blame game. I suggest that you call a couple of the known tuners (the ones that don’t need your business) and see what they say they can safely give you on pump gas. The cost of the build itself doesn’t need to be expensive. Fuel pumps and injectors would be the most costly part of it. A pulley and the unlocked pcm and tuning, the rest of it. You don’t need to change your exhaust for a moderate pump gas build.
Speedy knows yo