Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Cost of taking a Hellcat from 707hp to 800-850 RWHP?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Cat deletes have been proven time and time again to increase performance. YMMV, but just because the RE and Demons have cats doesn't mean that it wouldn't make more power without them.

Any restriction he can remove from the exhaust will allow the motor to make more power on less boost - which is what you need when running 93oct.
Imagine ARH headers to tips and no cats... it'll free up some HP for sure.
It's been proven that there is no hp gains until over 850 hp. It's maybe 5 hp. , not worth the money until over 850, & the cats are not as restrictive as some may think.

I had mine Dyno'd b4 & after & it made no difference. So I took off & sold.

Last edited:

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Hey Matt
I'm guessing you want some more Fsssdt Fun on the streets?

Linda :)

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Stay at or below 800rwhp on 93. That's really all it can support safely.
I wouldn't fool with cats or anything like that. Makes the cars obnoxiously loud in my opinion and a pita to pass emissions if you have that where you live. Mine has cats and runs great. HPIndy is a special case as in Canada they get 94 octane and he's using a RE blower so more volume of air on less boost, so not apples to apples for your setup.
I agree !

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
@Hpindy is probably pushing well over that on 93 octane and has run 9.6s. He is the guy to talk to about pump gas as he holds the record.
Isn't he using 94 octane + Boostane ?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Did you do spacers and Blanket? Did you put dual fuel pumps in it?
I do have spacers & blanket & on stock fuel pump.

It's all in my sig. vvv

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Thread Starter #26
Hey Matt
I'm guessing you want some more Fsssdt Fun on the streets?

Linda :)
Yup what’s your recommendation Linda? I see down the boulevard on route 1 10 miles from my house they have a E-85 gas station.. This will be strictly for the streets.. and I will use HHP if I do it.. but as I said preferably I’d like a to probably keep it on 93 octane

Last edited:
OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Thread Starter #27
I do have spacers & blanket & on stock fuel pump.

It's all in my sig.
Ty I constantly just use my iPhone Straight up so I forget to turn it sideways to see the signatures

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Isn't he using 94 octane + Boostane ?
I use 94 octane pump gas here in Canada but I can use 93 also . I don't normally use and octane booster but I have tried it twice so far this year when I was testing my HO button .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I use 94 octane pump gas here in Canada but I can use 93 also . I don't normally use and octane booster but I have tried it twice so far this year when I was testing my HO button .

I like the Boostane for a safety net.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I like the Boostane for a safety net.
Im comfortable running my car on pump gas as I have many many hours data logging and fine tuning my car ( with the help of Mike @ OST) .

I now have the HO button and I started testing it 1 degree of timing at a time. I used a product called "race gas" to increase octane as a safety net just to make sure the HO mode works properly before I buy race gas and really crank the timing up .

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Im comfortable running my car on pump gas as I have many many hours data logging and fine tuning my car ( with the help of Mike @ OST) .

I now have the HO button and I started testing it 1 degree of timing at a time. I used a product called "race gas" to increase octane as a safety net just to make sure the HO mode works properly before I buy race gas and really crank the timing up .

Race gas the better option but for me the Boostane is convenient & cheap & the HO button is sweet but I have 1 tune & I don't tinker with it & at 13* of timing, very safe & conservative.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'm not seeing anyone talking about cost. From the research I have done the most expensive part is the tune. Tune will be around $2000 including trans. Still not understanding this. The rest of it isn't too bad and if you can do the work yourself it is a plus. You would be 5K ish for what you are looking at

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Stay at or below 800rwhp on 93. That's really all it can support safely. That goes for standard HC, or RE.

The recipe is pretty simple, 2.85 Hellraiser pulley, tune, injectors. Make sure to use a well known tuner. Mike@OSTDyno, Curt Dusterhoff, Josh from HHP all come to mind. I run a 2.72 Hellraiser pulley on 93 but it only makes 20 or 30 more RWHP than a 2.85 on 93. I just wanted more for good fuel at the track and it works great there, so purchase according to your intended use. Straight up fast street car stick with a 2.85.

I wouldn't fool with cats or anything like that. Makes the cars obnoxiously loud in my opinion and a pita to pass emissions if you have that where you live. Mine has cats and runs great. HPIndy is a special case as in Canada they get 94 octane and he's using a RE blower so more volume of air on less boost, so not apples to apples for your setup.

The Hellcat motors have shown over time to have a weak area in terms of rods. That's what failed on my original motor. RE engine is supposed to be 30% stronger in that regard, but who really knows. AJ claims no more than 850rwhp on a stock engine whether Hellcat or RE.

I've been on 93 for over a year and lots of pulls on the highway, but never race on 93. I put good Renegade RM109 race fuel in the car for that and bump the power to take advantage at the track.

I've recently started fooling with Flex Fuel and it's the business. If you have E85 10 miles from your house, that's the way to go for sure. Mike@OST setup my Flex Fuel tune and Curt Dusterhoff is known for them as well. It's awesome to pick up 70-100rwhp from a simple fuel change that's $1.53 a gallon around here.

As Speedy said, a flex fuel tune is a great option for these cars. It allows you to run E85 or 93 whenever you want. Run 93 for about 750whp or switch to E85 and add 75 - 100 more whp. HHP doesn't offer this type of tune though.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
It's been proven that there is no hp gains until over 850 hp. It's maybe 5 hp. , not worth the money until over 850, & the cats are not as restrictive as some may think.

I had mine Dyno'd b4 & after & it made no difference. So I took off & sold.
I will be testing this for sure on mine. The Daytona picked up close to 15hp. And with the stock exhaust I think the cats deletes made it sound great. I don't like loud cars. Now a blower can change things as far as noise so until I swap them out I can't say for sure. I want to get some more runs in before I swap them out. May be able to next week

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I'm not seeing anyone talking about cost. From the research I have done the most expensive part is the tune. Tune will be around $2000 including trans. Still not understanding this. The rest of it isn't too bad and if you can do the work yourself it is a plus. You would be 5K ish for what you are looking at
It all depends, my 93 tune - pcm tune $700, trans tune $400, 2.85 pulley $250, injectors $450 = $1800, & I did all the labor.
Oh & spacers $350, total $ 2150

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I also am more concerned with what it does at the track. I have had huge pick ups on a dyno but didn't see it at the track

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
It all depends, my 93 tune - pcm $700, trans tune $400, 2.85 pulley $250, injectors $450 = $1800, & I did all the labor.
I must be reading all this shops wrong online then. I'm starting with doing my computer at $250 and it is coming out to $2000?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
been on different sites

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Would be great if I'm wrong cause it doesn't make sence. My Daytona with buying an unlocked computer was around $1300

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I must be reading all this shops wrong online then. I'm starting with doing my computer at $250 and it is coming out to $2000?
Yeah unlocking the pcm, forgot about that, I first did stock boost tune for first 2 years b4 I did pulley so when I did pulley I already had pcm unlocked.