Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

C8 Z06 Info

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Whatever happened to him?
I don’t know, but I lost his number…

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I’d like to see the zz632 in the C8.

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I got to test drive a few hot laps at Lime Rock Park in one of those (Got invited to Ford Performance Day - Trying to sway other brand owners).

The car definitely handled great, but I was definitely a little thrown off when going flatout in the straight. It kept revving, but it didn't FEEL as fast as it was going. I think it had much to do about the torque curve; I think those had something like ~42x? ft/lb torque and like 52x HP from the factory?

I guess I was just used to my super torquey V10, which is the only car I've driven on a road course aside from a super slow Miata. The sound from the flat plane cranks are amazing though.
the low end torque is not there with this car, it won’t snap you back on acceleration like a Hellcat at all. As a track car it is setup quite well. On the straightaways it does have me wanting for more, but it’s important to not take away from where the vehicle excels. It’s lighter than most mustangs, it’s balanced pretty good, it has outstanding brakes. And it corners very well ( with a track alignment), also the high revving engine lets you work the corners with allot of technique.

it’s important to keep the RPMs in the power band at all times so the car carries the power, making sure the speed carries well and then so it rotates into the straights or following corners smoothly.

It’s easy to make acceleration in the straights as a weak point to the car, but I would point out, once you get really good at driving, and I mean really good, where your at 97-100% of the vehicles capability on every angle of the track, then it doesn’t mean so much on a Lap time.

it takes 10 plus seconds to get to your straightaway speed but it only takes 2 second to get stopped into a corner. Can having that crazy acceleration mean a faster LapTime? Sometimes. When you add extra power your now coming in hotter into a corner, can you hit the same brake marker as before? Not without meeting the barrier wall. Unless the brakes are upgraded then your stopping shorter. And when your making the turn you can’t make it any faster because you have more horsepower.

when you have the extra power, just getting it to straighten out and setup for exiting a corner is important.

I routinely destroy faster cars at the track every week because power doesn’t mean faster lap times. I can’t count how many times a faster car gets on the track and tried to run with me, we get to the main straightaway he makes a pass at high speed, then bam he’s on the brakes and I zip right past him and out brake him and I never see him again, because he can never catch up. No matter how fast his car

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
They claim that the car just keeps pulling and pulling… and if it basically the C8.R motor… it’s proven to be amazing.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #45
the low end torque is not there with this car, it won’t snap you back on acceleration like a Hellcat at all. As a track car it is setup quite well. On the straightaways it does have me wanting for more, but it’s important to not take away from where the vehicle excels. It’s lighter than most mustangs, it’s balanced pretty good, it has outstanding brakes. And it corners very well ( with a track alignment), also the high revving engine lets you work the corners with allot of technique.

it’s important to keep the RPMs in the power band at all times so the car carries the power, making sure the speed carries well and then so it rotates into the straights or following corners smoothly.

It’s easy to make acceleration in the straights as a weak point to the car, but I would point out, once you get really good at driving, and I mean really good, where your at 97-100% of the vehicles capability on every angle of the track, then it doesn’t mean so much on a Lap time.

it takes 10 plus seconds to get to your straightaway speed but it only takes 2 second to get stopped into a corner. Can having that crazy acceleration mean a faster LapTime? Sometimes. When you add extra power your now coming in hotter into a corner, can you hit the same brake marker as before? Not without meeting the barrier wall. Unless the brakes are upgraded then your stopping shorter. And when your making the turn you can’t make it any faster because you have more horsepower.

when you have the extra power, just getting it to straighten out and setup for exiting a corner is important.

I routinely destroy faster cars at the track every week because power doesn’t mean faster lap times. I can’t count how many times a faster car gets on the track and tried to run with me, we get to the main straightaway he makes a pass at high speed, then bam he’s on the brakes and I zip right past him and out brake him and I never see him again, because he can never catch up. No matter how fast his car
Smooth is fast and fast is smooth. Good write-up. Yes, the new one will exit out of a corner far faster than others if driven correct, some margin will exist to accelerate.

Every Hellcat owner who has a good driving buddy with a C7 understands. @TraxMoe can demonstrate that, no way to catch a well driven one. Unless he gets behind traffic. But, if your not so good then your C7 may not work well against a well driven Hellcat. Must know your weakness and strengths.

Damn need a lottery win, because I want my RE AND one of these!! Looking forward to hearing just what kind of a lap time they pulled or will be pulling over in Germany. Good thing they are not available for a while yet.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #47
Hey! Wait your turn!
The line is what 100,000,000 people long or are the odds even greater?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Ah, the lottery, the tax on folks who are bad at math. ;)

Or as my dad said, the stupid tax.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
The line is what 100,000,000 people long or are the odds even greater?

~290M last I looked...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Ah, the lottery, the tax on folks who are bad at math. ;)

Or as my dad said, the stupid tax.

<--- Stupid

Of course, you can't win if you don't play.

:cool:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Just messing w yall

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #52
~290M last I looked...
Damn, off by a factor of three the wrong way. I think that is the only line longer than the Vette wait line at the dealers!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Waste of time and a line. Rather be standing in line at the Braves game tonight. Shorter, cheaper, more exciting.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
I use this app -

https://jackpocket.com/referrals/q2ope7

For transparency, you’ll get $2 to play with and I’ll get a credit if you use this link to buy your tickets. It’s made buying lotto much more convenient and easy to track. I’ve won a few bucks, here and there, but I only throw $2 at Powerball and $2 at Mega Millions when they get up to +100M.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #55
I use this app -

https://jackpocket.com/referrals/q2ope7

For transparency, you’ll get $2 to play with and I’ll get a credit if you use this link to buy your tickets. It’s made buying lotto much more convenient and easy to track. I’ve won a few bucks, here and there, but I only throw $2 at Powerball and $2 at Mega Millions when they get up to +100M.
Hey, you need to play to win something. Good luck.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Agree. Made one of my Porsche friends disappointed. Drove his beautiful new machine. On a straight, gave it all it had. When it was obviously not going to give me anywhere near the Hellcat pull and power, I looked at him and simply said, it that it? Ha, he knew exactly my point. 500-600 hp is not 800 hp with the super torque we have when at speed.
weight matters too...how much was the Mustang? Gotta think the Z06 will be at least 1K lbs less than a hellcat

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
weight matters too...how much was the Mustang? Gotta think the Z06 will be at least 1K lbs less than a hellcat

I would have guessed 3600-3800??

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
I just found this...I had a similar thread started an hr ago....didn't know this existed. reposting the guts here:

This PR release has a Demon anticipatory vibe to it. In fact that part is on steroids since the dealers I spoke with are telling me the wait to get one (once it actually becomes available to order in a few months) will be anywhere from 2-4 YEARS! Part of that is the seemingly never-ending chip shortage but part of it is also limited production for all Corvettes (not exactly sure why that is). Anyhow, with GM clearly on the EV train (as they have promised a full phase-out of ICE by 2034) this may be the LAST HP that features a V8 and that's it. Speaking of "that's it", many were expecting a supercharged version. Somehow Chevy managed to put together a naturally aspirated small-block capable of 670Hp and an eye-popping 8K+ RPM. Both numbers are mind-boggling. Most surprising of all (to me at least) is how this one looks. It really is attractive from all angles. That's not something I could say about ANY Corvette since the release of the 1969 L-88. I was so impressed that I decided to call all dealerships in Colorado to see about getting in line. Not surprisingly they all want BIG ADM to be put on their list. 35K was the lowest. Literally, the last dealership I called was the lone exception. MSRP and no deposit. Wow. I am all in was my insta-reply. What made it crazier still was I was the final order they were taking. Number 25. They won't take more since they are already looking at 3 years before taking delivery. I know the guy was not lying since my brother tried the next day and he was shut out. If I found one in my state, hopefully, others will find a few similar non-greedy dealers Nationwide. if the Demon is any guide, they will be few and far between.

Anyhow, I would love to get your thoughts, including if you think we will see anything top this in the All-ICE realm for the Corvette. I know they are working on an EV Corvette as we speak. I suppose before then we could see a supercharged Z06 but I have heard that was nixed early on and why they went to the ultra-high revving flat-plane V8 with this release instead. I suppose an all-new ZR-1 variant is possible but with a 2-4 year wait for the Z06 already in place, I seriously doubt that an all ICE ZR-1 happens.

PS Here is a (clunky) Z06 builder link GM put out this week. Very cool (when it's not crashing!)

https://visualizer.chevrolet.com/ui...=chevrolet&language=en&country=US&channel=b2c

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I would have guessed 3600-3800??
Believe I saw someplace 3700-3850 depending on options

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Believe I saw someplace 3700-3850 depending on options
For the flathead mustang or the new z06?