Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

C8 Z06 Info

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
It still will be an amazing runner. We will be ok.

We both know we will go out and lap it until we get tired of it, and don’t want to replace those brakes, I don’t even want to know what a replacement CF wheel may cost. Plus my car will need to NOT wear black wheels, I hate black wheels.
I'll agree with you on the black wheels. When the Demon came out I was disappointed on that point initially but...going with a "bright" exterior color really does help. It's why my choices for Z06 exterior will be light to counter the black wheel effect.

As for replacing brakes, I get that. But why would you ever have to replace the CF wheels themselves? I'm thinking Ill be extra careful about curb rash, lol!

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #103
I'll agree with you on the black wheels. When the Demon came out I was disappointed on that point initially but...going with a "bright" exterior color really does help. It's why my choices for Z06 exterior will be light to counter the black wheel effect.

As for replacing brakes, I get that. But why would you ever have to replace the CF wheels themselves? I'm thinking Ill be extra careful about curb rash, lol!
Oh gosh, I would, I could, owning all the custom wheels I do, prior ownership of a custom bike also, wheel damage is not my largest worry. What if on a random day the wife takes it out? I do want her to feel like she could drive it anytime. That could be my largest challenge, but necessary. But regardless of the potential weight savings, my eye will need shiny wheels on it. That is most of the reason to resist the CF actually. Or, I suppose, like the Hellcat, I could have Biz make me street wheels and take the CF wheels to the track. Zhit, gets expensive! Since it wears great tires on the street, I hope to be using only one set of wheels and tires regardless of track or street. Most likely will only change the brake pads between the street and track, potentially the rotors also, like I do the Hellcat brakes.

I am not sure we can get only the CF wheels without checking the entire Z07 option yet either. They talk about an entirely different (set-up and settings) and bit more firm Z07 suspension than the Z06, to take advantage of the combined unsprung weight difference the wheels and brakes produce. Could be exciting times!

There is also a day that will come soon, where I need to sit and drive one. That may take until spring or a plane ride now that the snow and cold has settled upon MN for the year! I am praying that it will not feel like sitting in a Camaro, which has fatal flaws for me.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Oh gosh, I would, I could, owning all the custom wheels I do, prior ownership of a custom bike also, wheel damage is not my largest worry. What if on a random day the wife takes it out? I do want her to feel like she could drive it anytime. That could be my largest challenge, but necessary. But regardless of the potential weight savings, my eye will need shiny wheels on it. That is most of the reason to resist the CF actually. Or, I suppose, like the Hellcat, I could have Biz make me street wheels and take the CF wheels to the track. Zhit, gets expensive! Since it wears great tires on the street, I hope to be using only one set of wheels and tires regardless of track or street. Most likely will only change the brake pads between the street and track, potentially the rotors also, like I do the Hellcat brakes.

I am not sure we can get only the CF wheels without checking the entire Z07 option yet either. They talk about an entirely different (set-up and settings) and bit more firm Z07 suspension than the Z06, to take advantage of the combined unsprung weight difference the wheels and brakes produce. Could be exciting times!

There is also a day that will come soon, where I need to sit and drive one. That may take until spring or a plane ride now that the snow and cold has settled upon MN for the year! I am praying that it will not feel like sitting in a Camaro, which has fatal flaws for me.
Great reply, thanks! I think I get your concerns now. One question...Upon digging some more, it seems like the ZR1 (set for 2023 MY as well they say) will also use this same high-revving LT7. With twin turbos! So, the question must be asked. Bail on Z06 and get ZR1? I was under the impression that a ZR1 would -not- use a flat-plane crank, high revving V8 like the Z06. Now I am not so sure!

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
I believe the ERay will come next and be basically a Z06 with front wheel motors much like the NSX.
I expect the cf wheels will be at least a 15k option. For that price I'd likely get some good aftermarket wheels and the same Cup 2R tires and get the vast majority of the benefits. I do find it interesting that the OE combination changes spring rates and shock cals and steering cal for use with the cf wheels and Cup 2R tires. It would be disappointing to lose that.
The Cup 2R tires are run flat for this car. Typically that means a very stiff sidewall and extra weight vs a normal track tire. I wonder if they will come out with a track oriented variant to remove some weight.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
...I do find it interesting that the OE combination changes spring rates and shock cals ...for use with the cf wheels...
Makes sense...

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #107
I believe the ERay will come next and be basically a Z06 with front wheel motors much like the NSX.
I expect the cf wheels will be at least a 15k option. For that price I'd likely get some good aftermarket wheels and the same Cup 2R tires and get the vast majority of the benefits. I do find it interesting that the OE combination changes spring rates and shock cals and steering cal for use with the cf wheels and Cup 2R tires. It would be disappointing to lose that.
The Cup 2R tires are run flat for this car. Typically that means a very stiff sidewall and extra weight vs a normal track tire. I wonder if they will come out with a track oriented variant to remove some weight.
Ha, TD another reason to stick with the “base” Z06. Good catch on the run flats, I did not know that fact. I am not too worried about missing that tweak for the Z07. My guess is that even without that upgrade the thing will keep up fairly well with good inputs;)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I must admit I'm not in love with my wifes C8...she absolutely loves it..my son has spent hours teaching her to launch it...and says she's got the hang of it..He said from a dig...I might be in trouble with the M6 cat..but not the Demon...well I put my deposit on the ZO6 in early august (@MSRP)...told her we were trading up..you would have thought I told her she was gettin the hope diamond..(she has this fascination with jewelry)...in our twenties she always shared my passion for cars and motorcycles..that faded with time..well that's changed..she now bugs the shit outta me as to when we get it..she's read every release on the ZO6...she said her goal is to tear my monkey ass up with that banana colored Demon...(she still thinks she smoked me in the infamous non race...)..after almost 48 yrs. of marriage its funny to see her excited about cars again....and she doesn't seem to have as many wrinkles...her C8 is an amazing car...it's just not me...it will be interesting to see how the ZO6 stacks up...who knows...I may even get laid more often...

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
I must admit I'm not in love with my wifes C8...she absolutely loves it..my son has spent hours teaching her to launch it...and says she's got the hang of it..He said from a dig...I might be in trouble with the M6 cat..but not the Demon...well I put my deposit on the ZO6 in early august (@MSRP)...told her we were trading up..you would have thought I told her she was gettin the hope diamond..(she has this fascination with jewelry)...in our twenties she always shared my passion for cars and motorcycles..that faded with time..well that's changed..she now bugs the shit outta me as to when we get it..she's read every release on the ZO6...she said her goal is to tear my monkey ass up with that banana colored Demon...(she still thinks she smoked me in the infamous non race...)..after almost 48 yrs. of marriage its funny to see her excited about cars again....and she doesn't seem to have as many wrinkles...her C8 is an amazing car...it's just not me...it will be interesting to see how the ZO6 stacks up...who knows...I may even get laid more often...
I'm on my local dealer's list for a ZO6 too at MSRP. No deposit though (even though I kind of pushed for it). Makes it more official. The owner says don't worry you are number X and you will get to order it when your number is up. Here's to blind faith, lol.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I'm on my local dealer's list for a ZO6 too at MSRP. No deposit though (even though I kind of pushed for it). Makes it more official. The owner says don't worry you are number X and you will get to order it when your number is up. Here's to blind faith, lol.
My dealer was almost reluctant to take a deposit.... I insisted..it's very generic....2000.00 deposit received for first allocation ZO6 corvette @ msrp..I did the same thing with the C8...mine was the first deposit ..and my C8 was the first delivered..Here in WNY there are dealers with long lists for the ZO6..and many dealers that will have no allocation..If these things have any production issues..or GM work slowdowns that the 2020 run experienced...I can .see huge ADMs on the early ones...40/50 over would not shock me...and in this market..there will be those that will pay it...It's going to be an exciting car for sure

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
My dealer was almost reluctant to take a deposit.... I insisted..it's very generic....2000.00 deposit received for first allocation ZO6 corvette @ msrp..I did the same thing with the C8...mine was the first deposit ..and my C8 was the first delivered..Here in WNY there are dealers with long lists for the ZO6..and many dealers that will have no allocation..If these things have any production issues..or GM work slowdowns that the 2020 run experienced...I can .see huge ADMs on the early ones...40/50 over would not shock me...and in this market..there will be those that will pay it...It's going to be an exciting car for sure
I agree. 8600 rpm alone makes my head spin (at 8600rpm of course!)
Around here, most dealers are asking 25-50K ADM but I found one (and only 1) that sells all its cars at MSRP(max). I'm #20 on that list which they say will be a year 2 car (2024 MY). I'm fine with that. Better still, I'm also number 2 for the ZR1 (also at MSRP). Yes, they have a list for that already lol. No one is sure if that will be a full ICE car or not though. I'm only interested if it is. Soon all cars will be hybrid or all EV. I'm looking for the last, highest performance ICE Vette and it will be this ZO6 or the ZR1, imo. I guess I'm hedging my bets as to which one it will be!

I kinda wonder how GM will be able to build an 8000+ revving motor with boost. I know it's possible but do they want to/are they willing to warranty that with say 1000hp? If the ZR1 uses a modified version of the Z06 flat-plane V8 that becomes a lower revving, higher torque turbo-boosted (lagging?) machine then maybe the Z06 is the one to get and hang on to. If the ZR1 is slated for electric assist then I'm pretty sure I'll opt to keep the 06.

Anyhow, we shall find out soon enough. Meanwhile, we wait! Having both options certainly makes it easier to decide when the time comes! First-world problems, I know! :p

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I agree. 8600 rpm alone makes my head spin (at 8600rpm of course!)
Around here, most dealers are asking 25-50K ADM but I found one (and only 1) that sells all its cars at MSRP(max). I'm #20 on that list which they say will be a year 2 car (2024 MY). I'm fine with that. Better still, I'm also number 2 for the ZR1 (also at MSRP). Yes, they have a list for that already lol. No one is sure if that will be a full ICE car or not though. I'm only interested if it is. Soon all cars will be hybrid or all EV. I'm looking for the last, highest performance ICE Vette and it will be this ZO6 or the ZR1, imo. I guess I'm hedging my bets as to which one it will be!

I kinda wonder how GM will be able to build an 8000+ revving motor with boost. I know it's possible but do they want to/are they willing to warranty that with say 1000hp? If the ZR1 uses a modified version of the Z06 flat-plane V8 that becomes a lower revving, higher torque turbo-boosted (lagging?) machine then maybe the Z06 is the one to get and hang on to. If the ZR1 is slated for electric assist then I'm pretty sure I'll opt to keep the 06.

Anyhow, we shall find out soon enough. Meanwhile, we wait! Having both options certainly makes it easier to decide when the time comes! First-world problems, I know! :p
My guess is we will be seeing the first run of ZO6 hit the dealers earlier than some think..(late August is my guess)..price point .for standard C8's is still crazy in WNY...10 over for used low mile 2020's...whatever the case..I can wait.(after all it's only a Chevy)..my wife on the other hand is drivin me (and the dealer) crazy...she replaced home and garden mags with Car and Driver in all the bathrooms..