Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

$25 barrel oil damn $1.25 gas is here and or less!

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I kept an old Sunoco credit card receipt from 5/3/1972. Found it in an old suitcase years later and thought it was worth saving. I did so much running around and street racing that I never had enough cash so I got a Sunoco credit card. My bill was sometimes $175/month not counting the gas I paid for in cash. Figure how many gallons that was at $0.39! I had a 4.30 rear in my 69 Road Runner and made around $2,000 that Summer street racing for $10-$20/race. Very rarely would run for $50. That was a lot of money back then! I would only use Sunoco 260 @104 octane. 10CD3829-B1ED-4F1B-A055-D6D77907EA71.jpeg

Last edited:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Saw today reg gas was at $1.91 and falling. Can't sell the shit cause no one can go to work. No work. Now cable companies are giving away premium channels for a time to get ya hooked on their up coming paying crap. Lock down with a 65 inch tv is supposed to be fun. Nope. Cat starting to talk back. Or is that the mirror? Start moving again next week.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
I kept an old Sunoco credit card receipt from 1972. Found it in an old suitcase years later and thought it was worth saving. I did so much running around and street racing that I never had enough cash so I got a Sunoco credit card. My bill was sometimes $175/month not counting the gas I paid cash for. I had a 4.30 rear in my 69 Road Runner and made around $2,000 that Summer street racing for $10-$20/race. Very rarely would run for $50. That was a lot of money back then! I would only use Sunoco 260 @104 octane.
View attachment 14680
Wow, blast from the past. Based on inflation rate that would cost $2.35/gallon now. Why doesn’t race gas cost proportionally the same.

I remember those old sliding plastic hand held credit card holders. your right those were the days. Much simpler times.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Why not? Because you'll pay more. So they charge more.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I kept an old Sunoco credit card receipt from 5/3/1972. Found it in an old suitcase years later and thought it was worth saving. I did so much running around and street racing that I never had enough cash so I got a Sunoco credit card. My bill was sometimes $175/month not counting the gas I paid cash for. I had a 4.30 rear in my 69 Road Runner and made around $2,000 that Summer street racing for $10-$20/race. Very rarely would run for $50. That was a lot of money back then! I would only use Sunoco 260 @104 octane.
View attachment 14680
OMG..does that bring back memories of workin in the station...anybody remember S&H green stamps...gas stations were very competive back in the day..on wk ends..we'd have double and triple stamp days...SOP back then..check oil..squeegee front and back windshield....as a school kid...I loved that job.

Last edited:

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I thought it might remind some of you older guys like me about the good old days.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
OMG..does that bring back memories of workin in the station...anybody remember S&H green stamps...gas stations were very competive back in the day..on wk ends..we'd have double and triple stamp days...SOP back then..check oil..squeegee front and back windshield....as a school kid...I loved that job.
Hell yes I remember those S&H Green stamps!! My mom had those books all over the place. She used to get me to lick the stamps and put them in the book for her...under the guise that I might get something fun from the catalog....kids are so gullible. We had a warehouse or the store where you could go to redeem them and get stuff not far from our house. When those stamps were coming to an end, people were trying to buy partial books of them to finish out theirs to get their 'free" stuff. Kids got loaned out to mow other peoples lawns or shovel snow when winter came in exchange for some partial books of stamps. Fun times.
I also remember that when our parents wouldn't give us a nickle or two for ice cream on a hot summer day, we would go to the basement step area of someone's house and grab a couple of soda bottles and trade them in for the deposit. Then we'd have money for ice cream :)
Glorious times to be a kid.

I want to say gas was somewhere between 25 and 35 cents per gallon then....early '70's before the oil embargo. My old man had a '70 Road Runner, and after he totaled my mom's '62 Impala convertible, she got a '70 Satellite. Fun times hanging out at the local car joints, eating hot dogs and fries on a warm summer night. All of those shiny new muscle cars parked everywhere. Seemed to be just about 1 of everything in my neighborhood....Mopars, Mustangs, 442's, GTO's, Camaro's, and Chevelles were a big time favorite car for plenty of people. Guys would break parts street racing and then go to the new car lot to shop at the midnight auto supply.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I still have S&H stamps saved up in books (with a redemption catalog) stored away in an army first aid kit lol

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Wow, blast from the past. Based on inflation rate that would cost $2.35/gallon now. Why doesn’t race gas cost proportionally the same.

I remember those old sliding plastic hand held credit card holders. your right those were the days. Much simpler times.
So how did the retailer know you're CC was in good standing?

(I know the answer, just seeing who else) 😂

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle

I don’t remember? I know it was hard to pay some Summer months but I never had it cancelled. Did they call it in if they had doubts?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Hell yes I remember those S&H Green stamps!! My mom had those books all over the place. She used to get me to lick the stamps and put them in the book for her...under the guise that I might get something fun from the catalog....kids are so gullible. We had a warehouse or the store where you could go to redeem them and get stuff not far from our house. When those stamps were coming to an end, people were trying to buy partial books of them to finish out theirs to get their 'free" stuff. Kids got loaned out to mow other peoples lawns or shovel snow when winter came in exchange for some partial books of stamps. Fun times.
I also remember that when our parents wouldn't give us a nickle or two for ice cream on a hot summer day, we would go to the basement step area of someone's house and grab a couple of soda bottles and trade them in for the deposit. Then we'd have money for ice cream :)
Glorious times to be a kid.

I want to say gas was somewhere between 25 and 35 cents per gallon then....early '70's before the oil embargo. My old man had a '70 Road Runner, and after he totaled my mom's '62 Impala convertible, she got a '70 Satellite. Fun times hanging out at the local car joints, eating hot dogs and fries on a warm summer night. All of those shiny new muscle cars parked everywhere. Seemed to be just about 1 of everything in my neighborhood....Mopars, Mustangs, 442's, GTO's, Camaro's, and Chevelles were a big time favorite car for plenty of people. Guys would break parts street racing and then go to the new car lot to shop at the midnight auto supply.
Them were the days....Highway oil company...discount gas in buffalo..two locations..4 pumps..and a booth little bigger than a telephone booth..cash only..24.9..early 1970..was bringing home 95.70 a week...

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I worked on the Rez pumping gas and stocking cigarettes for a little while. I had a $0.50/gal discount... was a big deal when I was 16 driving a Trans Am with a burnout problem.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
I don’t remember? I know it was hard to pay some Summer months but I never had it cancelled. Did they call it in if they had doubts?
Not sure how it worked at the gas stations specifically, but in retail they had a book with all the bad CC people who were over limit or behind on payments. My mom worked part time at a JCPenny. Of course that was store cards and the like. Not sure about Visa or MasterCard. That was the 70's and NOT everyone had CC back then.

Talk about good faith in running your card. The idea that if you had one, then it's gotta be good. 😂

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Not sure how it worked at the gas stations specifically, but in retail they had a book with all the bad CC people who were over limit or behind on payments. My mom worked part time at a JCPenny. Of course that was store cards and the like. Not sure about Visa or MasterCard. That was the 70's and NOT everyone had CC back then.

Talk about good faith in running your card. The idea that if you had one, then it's gotta be good. 😂
I remember thinking when people paid with a Sunoco card...they were rich

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I also remember..gas deliveries..when the tanker showed up...The Sunoco charge card receipts were put in a money bag along with cash..and given to the driver as payment for the load...things were a lot less complex back then

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I was a poor college kid in a work study program putting myself through school. If I remember, it took some convincing by me to get Sunoco to give me a card. Luckily, my college coop job was with IBM. Between my overtime, my street racing and my poker winnings ( always thought I won more than I lost), I survived and had a good time doing it.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I also remember..gas deliveries..when the tanker showed up...The Sunoco charge card receipts were put in a money bag along with cash..and given to the driver as payment for the load...things were a lot less complex back then
I think you are right. They did have a pamphlet with pages thin as a phone book. It had delinquent credit card numbers in it. If your number was in there, the operator would confiscate the card.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I was a poor college kid in a work study program putting myself through school. If I remember, it took some convincing by me to get Sunoco to give me a card. Luckily, my college coop job was with IBM. Between my overtime, my street racing and my poker winnings ( always thought I won more than I lost), I survived and had a good time doing it.
LOL..patience is not my strong suit....but a good poker game...I've been known to sit on a wooden chair 8hrs straight...win or loose...I love the game...

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
How long are my D & D pole dancing gift cards worth. My life time or theirs's?? Or their grand children's in 2032??

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

There was a printed book that came out every month, and if you seemed suspicious the attendant might check through the book, but if you were a known local, they mostly didn't that i remember. They might have checked more if you were out on the interstate getting gas. OMG I'm f'n old......