Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2020 Challenger changes preview

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Honestly, they probably had a problem getting the 426 to pass emissions.

The LS7 was a really dirty engine for GM and they couldn't do better for the C7 so that Z06 got a supercharger.

I think it would be great for a 7L/426 to come out but i think it will have an electric motor attached to it for emissions/mpg
Emissions is probably the culprit along with their 'fleet" average MPG numbers, which has triggered fines and FCA buying carbon credits from Tesla. What a bunch of [rant]

I hope the 426 isn't riddled with cylinder deactivation, stop/start shut off, etc. Current administration has extended current MPG/emissions further out...so who knows? The politics of it is really increasing the hidden costs to manufacturer these types of cars we cherish and love.

I

Intense

Emissions is probably the culprit along with their 'fleet" average MPG numbers, which has triggered fines and FCA buying carbon credits from Tesla. What a bunch of [rant]

I hope the 426 isn't riddled with cylinder deactivation, stop/start shut off, etc. Current administration has extended current MPG/emissions further out...so who knows? The politics of it is really increasing the hidden costs to manufacturer these types of cars we cherish and love.
The start stop I absolutely agree with.

I actually enjoyed the cyl deactivation when cruising on road trips with the 392 and in no big hurry. I think it’s quieter than the pre 15’s. I have the stereo loud enough to not notice and care about the slight exhaust sound. It’s amazing to get 29 mpg in a 4.3k lb car with two people, luggage, & 485hp these days.

More power and even 28 mpg possible would be even better in between romps.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
The start stop I absolutely agree with.

I actually enjoyed the cyl deactivation when cruising on road trips with the 392 and in no big hurry. I think it’s quieter than the pre 15’s. I have the stereo loud enough to not notice and care about the slight exhaust sound. It’s amazing to get 29 mpg in a 4.3k lb car with two people, luggage, & 485hp these days.

More power and even 28 mpg possible would be even better in between romps.
My concern is long-term reliability. Maybe they have figured it out? Just familiar with some of the problems back in the day...thus my knee jerk aversion and bias.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
The politics of it is really increasing the hidden costs to manufacturer these types of cars we cherish and love.
Who needs more than 4 cylinders or electric to get from point A to B? If you need more than that, then you're not a good driver. I've heard politicians make this argument somewhere else...just can't put my finger on what. :unsure:

How much MPG can they save by shaving off some weight. I don't see a problem with those MPG saving nannies...AS LONG as you can fully turn them off yourself. Most preferably a one time deal, so you don't have to every time you drive.

I

Intense

My concern is long-term reliability. Maybe they have figured it out? Just familiar with some of the problems back in the day...thus my knee jerk aversion and bias.
I get it and have heard of a few problems but I think it’s an outlier vs the norm really. They have sold many of the 392’s and sales are still good so I guess all is well enough in the public’s overall perception. Hopefully that’s based on the norm being that they’re reliable. As a past builder who still loves NA power, this 392 is super impressive.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I never let other people (manufacturer) make my decision on wheels. I have never made a decision to buy a car on their wheels either. If I did, I might as well have ordered a Vette with a chrome wheel choice. BUT, whoever is making their decisions is deaf, dumb and blind! All those black and variants of black wheels are ugly and they suck DODGE!
Dodge went with black wheels because of all that brake dust from the Brembos. They think it'll hide it more.

!!!!Not_Impressed.jpg

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392

PIERRE M.

Member ID
Reactions
City
CIUDAD JUAREZ
State
Non-US
Country
Mexico
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat.
I wonder when the 2020 will be available to order as I just saw this in youtube, Power dollar rebates are now valid through 09/30.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I can't find wheel images...

PIERRE M.

Member ID
Reactions
City
CIUDAD JUAREZ
State
Non-US
Country
Mexico
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat.
I can't find wheel images...
What they describe as “warpspeed” is definitely the WB slingshot I posted on a charger a little higher.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
What they describe as “warpspeed” is definitely the WB slingshot I posted on a charger a little higher.

And so no Warpspeeds for the Challenger? Completely lame.

PIERRE M.

Member ID
Reactions
City
CIUDAD JUAREZ
State
Non-US
Country
Mexico
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat.
And so no Warpspeeds for the Challenger? Completely lame.
They appear in the press kit shared two or three posts higher as an option for the challenger, although it isn’t clear if the wheel style or the low gloss granite color is the optional part.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
They appear in the press kit shared two or three posts higher as an option for the challenger, although it isn’t clear if the wheel style or the low gloss granite color is the optional part.

Thank you for talking me off the ledge. Was starting to spiral.

CPRHDSRT

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fork
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HC Challenger
I was bummed to hear of B5 but hoping I will really like the Frostbite as a replacement. Can't really tell until I see it in person.
I’m with you on that, but I do like the photos of Frostbite.
@srt10 and I saw frostbite live at Carlisle. Of course under the sun beaten red tent you couldn't get a sense but when they pulled it out - oh ya.

@Slowpoke387 - there are your wheels too.

Attachments

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Well I am happy. I didn't want to buy another Challenger. I wanted this one to be my forever car. If Dodge was smart they would have released the Redeyes now and had them limited with 50th badges.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
So to be clear, the new "Warpspeed" wheels are the same as the original "Slingshots"??

CPRHDSRT

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fork
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HC Challenger
The wheels on the 2020 WB HC Charger at Carlisle were granite, so I would definitely say they are the "Warp Speed" wheel. A deep dish version of the original slingshot wheels. Sounds like same will be optionally available for the WB Challenger.

From the 2020 Charger press kit ….

For 2020, Dodge//SRT offers a wide variety of newly designed wheels, wheel finishes, new and updated Packages/Equipment Groups, new premium interior materials, three new exterior colors and new badges to give customers even more factory-custom options.
  • New wheels on Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody include:
    • Standard 20-inch by 11-inch forged split-five spoke with standard Low-gloss Carbon Black finish
    • Optional 20-inch by 11-inch “Warp Speed” deep dish, with Low-gloss Granite finish
    • Optional 20-inch by 11-inch Brass Monkey

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
I take it the new "Hellraisin" was the 2019 1320 one-off press car color they called "black eye" then.

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
I take it the new "Hellraisin" was the 2019 1320 one-off press car color they called "black eye" then.

Sure looks like it...

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
Who needs more than 4 cylinders or electric to get from point A to B? If you need more than that, then you're not a good driver. I've heard politicians make this argument somewhere else...just can't put my finger on what. :unsure:

How much MPG can they save by shaving off some weight. I don't see a problem with those MPG saving nannies...AS LONG as you can fully turn them off yourself. Most preferably a one time deal, so you don't have to every time you drive.
Well now that's the difference between government control and freedom....you have the right to buy whatever idiotic nonsense you want with your money, but the government decides hey nobody NEEDS that stuff....let's ban it......Let the market decide! Communists always focus on just giving you your needs (unless you are a high level government "leader" or bureaucrat)....well hell no wonder they live in squalor! HAHAHAHA [histerical]