Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

track vs sport mode

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thanks! I completely missed that. So now I'm wondering what happens in a custom mode?
From everything I've ever read it's the 'Trans' setting that determines how the baffles work, none of the other stuff matters.
So, if true, you could set everything to 'Street' but the Trans to 'Track' and they should be wide open all the time, which is why the M6 guys have been asking how theirs works since they have no Trans setting !

Would be interesting to see data logs on all this to confirm. Even tho I don't have an M6 would also be curious as to how the baffles work in that config & what setting actually triggers the wide open mode.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I will sea tonight. I have a 6. I do know that when you pull away from a light, the RPM needs to be 2,000 or more or you are going to stall. Might seem a bit much but that is it's nature. People look at ya funny like over reving but it smooths out nicely.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
I just got in from a drive, And in all honesty I cant tell any difference in sound from one mode to the other, changing them going down the highway. I guess noise is noise! LOL

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
You have to turn the engine on. You Canadians crack me up.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
I will sea tonight. I have a 6. I do know that when you pull away from a light, the RPM needs to be 2,000 or more or you are going to stall. Might seem a bit much but that is it's nature. People look at ya funny like over reving but it smooths out nicely.
LOL I know exactly what you mean. I had a 2012 392 Yellow Jacket m6. and I have driven sticks all my life. and when I picked it up from the dealer, I stalled three times getting out of the parking lot! I had know feed back from the clutch as to when it was about to grab. There is an orifice in the slave line going to the clutch. it is located just below the connect at the back of the engine block.Disconnect the connector and use a long wood screw to twist into the center of the orifice and pull it out. reconnect the hose, and add fluid to replace the amount lost, and pump the clutch to bleed the system. and you will be amazed at how good the clutch now feels.

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
From everything I've ever read it's the 'Trans' setting that determines how the baffles work, none of the other stuff matters.
So, if true, you could set everything to 'Street' but the Trans to 'Track' and they should be wide open all the time, which is why the M6 guys have been asking how theirs works since they have no Trans setting !

Would be interesting to see data logs on all this to confirm. Even tho I don't have an M6 would also be curious as to how the baffles work in that config & what setting actually triggers the wide open mode.
Gonna have to see if there's a PID that can data log the valve position. I took a quick peek at a M6 tune file and the active exhaust settings look to match those of an A8. Hmmmmm. The fact that these settings are under the "System" section of the tune makes me wonder if the BCM has some influence.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
It has to be led down that yellow brick road by sumtin. There has to be a plemental some where cause the trann's are 2 entitely different critters. The auto is a forced condition and the M6 is a give it up situation.M8 has perimeters.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
When everything is sorted out it will probably be the TPS is in control. LOL

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
It honestly doesn't matter a whole lot since they're fully open anyway above 3,000 rpm and above 346 lb/ft of torque, but it's fun to look in to.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Gonna have to see if there's a PID that can data log the valve position. I took a quick peek at a M6 tune file and the active exhaust settings look to match those of an A8. Hmmmmm. The fact that these settings are under the "System" section of the tune makes me wonder if the BCM has some influence.
in hptuners you can log the “active exhaust” channel. Used to do this to confirm for people when I would tune it out.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
It honestly doesn't matter a whole lot since they're fully open anyway above 3,000 rpm and above 346 lb/ft of torque, but it's fun to look in to.
I've always been curious about how it works and what triggers the various stages.

The one thing I miss from my Roush 'stang was the variable exhaust valves that I could adjust with a knob mounted on the trans tunnel.
At the time they were even talking about a module that would tie it to the GPS so your exhaust noise could be tapered automatically based on where you were.
For example, it would be at the min setting driving thru your neighborhood, then open up @ the main road.

Sucks that Dodge never made provisions for the exhaust setting to be independent of the trans, seems like it would have been easy enough to do since the code to manipulate them is there !

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I will have to ask the neighbor next door. He just bought anew Rousch stang er. We were supposed to go to the local car show this evening. But the clouds have moved in and rain is here. Getting dark.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
It will be rough to hear and distinguish open or closed at the higher RPM’s, but give it hell Hick!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
The weather is going to have to straighten up or the H/C ain;t cuming out of the garage. Just rained and moe hea by 1 hour. Learned my lesion last week on the damp road. Sheeez. On street mode is dangerous.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Mine stays in the garage if it looks like rain, just no fun to drive in the wet unless you granny it the whole time !

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yepper,,, maybzen tundra. Those slick damp roads are as bad as any snow from the frozen tundra. We pay our dues through the tropical storm season and the heat. But to have 2 days in a row with high 80s and no rain wood be asking too much?? 2 more months and we will be there. Yea,,, under water.