Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tim Kuniskis on AutoLine

hell on wheels

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
An EV is an appliance. I may have one some day for a daily if they catch on enough to really be viable, but a hot rod they are not.

I don't HAVE to accept anything and there were more 40 year old muscle cars at Moparty than modern ones by a large margin. No ones gonna care about EV racing. It's kinda like seeing which microwave can heat the frozen dinner the quickest.

Tim said we're not their target customer anymore right? Ford seems to want our money though.
I watched your moparty race on YouTube.
You could stand to benefit from
a “push to pass” button on your steering wheel.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Don't feed the trolls.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
What good is a used ice...when you're in the market for new...I don't agree free market is driving this initiative..
Well, when it's used ice or NO ice. That's when it's good.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
At least for "fun" cars. Like I said before, if it gets to where I can't buy what I want I'll build my own or have one built.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Well, when it's used ice or NO ice. That's when it's good.
To my point...it shouldn't come to no ICE...give consumers what they want...the auto industry was built on that premise

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
And these cars and cars like it, if they ever see enough at the drag strip, will be off in their own little corner by themselves and the real gear heads on the other side of the track in the pits wrenching on their cars. They'll end up in separate classes because no one who's really in to hot rods will give s crap about them and you'll end up racing each other to empty bleachers because the race will be forgettable. No sound, no drama, just two cars with computers doing most everything for them running within .00001 of each other. Tell me I'm wrong.

Several motor sports arenas have already tried EVs and it's been a huge flop. Remember, Dodge isn't marketing these cars to us as Tim clearly stated. How many millennials do you see at the drag strip?
First, I have a huge respect for you. But I think you are a little outdated in your thinking. In my EXPERIENCE, a lot of this is not true. Also, are you saying that the Dodge Musclecar will not be welcome at your events? What if it clearly fits in a race Class based on the name/description of the class and the intent of the class? Are you going to ban them? Are you planning on pitting electric cars in a separate area?

Maybe for a NHRA Pro Electric class the stands might empty out when they run. But I bet that happens for other classes as well. How many pics of Stockers have you seen in National Dragster where there are 5 or 6 people in the stands. NHRA wants to expand so they are not going to commit to anything that is not a big hit. It just does not make sense.

I bet you money that the Dodge Musclecar will be running MSHS index class or any other class that they fit in. Dan is and has always been fair in running his events. Fair for the ICE and the Electric I would imagine.

At Irwindale I have personally run 2 different Tesla Plaids, new 2022 models. I beat one by a hair and the other got me by just a hair (.02 MOV). So, both good races. One was arranged and the other was just coincidence and I did not even know what it was at the time. I went over and talked to him later. So you think the Tesla’s are shunned at Irwindale? NOT. Lots of them run and many are the slower ones. They mix right in, in the Pits and the Staging Lanes.

We run Modern Muscle Class at Irwindale as part of the Match Race Madness. I bet you money that the 2024 Dodge electric Musclecar will be running this class. And I doubt anyone will get up and leave when that happens.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
And I feel sorry for such a brilliant young man as yourself.
Your corner will get much smaller every year. Until you won't have a corner someday.

People seemed to have missed years ago when FCA sold out to Peugeot and pointed out the fact the Europeans had a big jump on EVs verses any other partner.

If it's just this year the news is new to the forums...people haven't been paying attention.. so sorry for you..that cannot read between the lines

EV and or a combination of ICE/EV is the wave of the future.
Deal with it.

As for me as does the Dragracer guy admits

Are you all coming along? Or just stand by and throw rocks at what's coming?
The future is not ready for EV yet...maybe a 20% market share within 5 years...any more is just not sustainable...regardless of what you may think...

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
The future is not ready for EV yet...maybe a 20% market share within 5 years...any more is just not sustainable...regardless of what you may think...
The libtards in charge don’t even have a plan to get the grids up to handling all the EVs they want. As much as it would suck maybe what needs to happen is the grid fail like back in 2003 to wake their dumb asses up.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
First, I have a huge respect for you. But I think you are a little outdated in your thinking. In my EXPERIENCE, a lot of this is not true. Also, are you saying that the Dodge Musclecar will not be welcome at your events? What if it clearly fits in a race Class based on the name/description of the class and the intent of the class? Are you going to ban them? Are you planning on pitting electric cars in a separate area?

Maybe for a NHRA Pro Electric class the stands might empty out when they run. But I bet that happens for other classes as well. How many pics of Stockers have you seen in National Dragster where there are 5 or 6 people in the stands. NHRA wants to expand so they are not going to commit to anything that is not a big hit. It just does not make sense.

I bet you money that the Dodge Musclecar will be running MSHS index class or any other class that they fit in. Dan is and has always been fair in running his events. Fair for the ICE and the Electric I would imagine.

At Irwindale I have personally run 2 different Tesla Plaids, new 2022 models. I beat one by a hair and the other got me by just a hair (.02 MOV). So, both good races. One was arranged and the other was just coincidence and I did not even know what it was at the time. I went over and talked to him later. So you think the Tesla’s are shunned at Irwindale? NOT. Lots of them run and many are the slower ones. They mix right in, in the Pits and the Staging Lanes.

We run Modern Muscle Class at Irwindale as part of the Match Race Madness. I bet you money that the 2024 Dodge electric Musclecar will be running this class. And I doubt anyone will get up and leave when that happens.
Ron, the respect is mutual and thanks for that. I'm always open to intelligent debate, and I've asked people I thought would have opposing views to mine to see what they think and I've not found anyone that really cares about EV racing.

If at some point in the future I'm still doing ChallengerFest when there's enough Dodge EVs showing up for a class (10+ required) they'd run each other in their own class. If they wanna pay to race each other who am I to turn them down. Pairing an AWD electric car with RWD ICE muscle cars doesn't make much sense to me, but at the end of the day I put on ChallengerFest for the drivers. If they wanted them mixed in fine by me I don't race at my own event anyway. I used to not allow shop cars to run in the race classes but a lot of the racers wanted them allowed so we usually take a vote at the event during the driver meeting if shop cars wanna get in the mix and take some prize money. We could do the same with EVs I guess.

My comments aren't based on conjecture. I've asked around to random people just to see what they think and none have been interested at all in watching electric cars race around here. We occasionally have a Tesla show up at our local strip, although rare, and it pretty much sits off by itself makes a couple passes and leaves. It's not that everyone intentionally shuns the owner, there's just no interest in it. It pulls up dead quiet, no burnout, goes down the track in silence, and no one really even notices. No one talks about it being fast, or not, and I don't think anyone even goes in the lane next to it. They just let it go by itself. I don't personally care about racing one, kinda like I wouldn't line up next to a motorcycle either whether I'm the faster competitor or not. I've got an RC truck that's AWD and will carry the front tires 20 feet if I grab a handful of trigger on the control and does 70mph so yeah electric is instant torque and can be fast, but just not the same for me. No sound, no burnout, no pulling the front tires off the ground, no drama, no wondering what's gonna happen as it goes down the track. What's the point?

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Build both versions and let consumer decide what they want to drive. Government is forcing people. Fuck them.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
And I feel sorry for such a brilliant young man as yourself.
Your corner will get much smaller every year. Until you won't have a corner someday.

People seemed to have missed years ago when FCA sold out to Peugeot and pointed out the fact the Europeans had a big jump on EVs verses any other partner.

If it's just this year the news is new to the forums...people haven't been paying attention.. so sorry for you..that cannot read between the lines

EV and or a combination of ICE/EV is the wave of the future.
Deal with it.

As for me as does the Dragracer guy admits

Are you all coming along? Or just stand by and throw rocks at what's coming?
You can take your EVs and shove them right up your ass with the rest of the electric dildos.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
Damn that’s a nice way of putting it! No EV’s with fake motor sounds for me. That was all gone when I was 2

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Definitely. I remember when fuel injection was finally used in mass production. People were scoffing and calling it blasphemy lol. Carbs were the norm and all I heard was how they were ruining things.
Front wheel drive was another. Oh the horror lol.
Fuel injection sucked in the beginning.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I remember my first TBI truck, it was like an electric fuel leak LOL. It's awesome now though with everything you can do with these Hellcats in the tuning.

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
10,R/T12YJKT,15SPS,16 HC,19RE,22 S/S
CEO Sergio Marchionne Would be turning in his grave, as HE was the driving force of the big boy viper ACR 6.4/392 and Hellcat development. You may, in fact, be right about in the future EV's will play a more prominent role, But not now or in the next 10 years, AS our infrastructure can not handle it, in some places it can't handle it now. Yet you two sit here and lecture us about accepting things that some of us may not even feasibly use because of location or infrastructure, or maybe we just don't like the damn things and the fact that we are older than 50, and are retired and just enjoying what we already have puts us in that, " I frankly don't give a damn, class, I've paid my dues and don't feel sorry for me I've got to do some cool s#$t and am very secure in who I am." And yes I know different folks have a different grasp on that statement. But it was the best way for me to project that "shove your EVs up your A@# politely". and I'm way more advanced than using rocks should the need arise, god forbid.

Last edited:

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Fuel injection sucked in the beginning.
Agreed. My point exactly. Kind of like EV's now. But who knows about the future...kind of like FI.

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
10,R/T12YJKT,15SPS,16 HC,19RE,22 S/S
Agreed. My point exactly. Kind of like EV's now. But who knows about the future...kind of like FI.
That awesome crossfire injection on the Z- 28's what a powerhouse all 165hp

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Then wait until it works.
So many times people changed fuel injection over to carbs.
Should people switch electric to ICE?

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Ron, the respect is mutual and thanks for that. I'm always open to intelligent debate, and I've asked people I thought would have opposing views to mine to see what they think and I've not found anyone that really cares about EV racing.

If at some point in the future I'm still doing ChallengerFest when there's enough Dodge EVs showing up for a class (10+ required) they'd run each other in their own class. If they wanna pay to race each other who am I to turn them down. Pairing an AWD electric car with RWD ICE muscle cars doesn't make much sense to me, but at the end of the day I put on ChallengerFest for the drivers. If they wanted them mixed in fine by me I don't race at my own event anyway. I used to not allow shop cars to run in the race classes but a lot of the racers wanted them allowed so we usually take a vote at the event during the driver meeting if shop cars wanna get in the mix and take some prize money. We could do the same with EVs I guess.

My comments aren't based on conjecture. I've asked around to random people just to see what they think and none have been interested at all in watching electric cars race around here. We occasionally have a Tesla show up at our local strip, although rare, and it pretty much sits off by itself makes a couple passes and leaves. It's not that everyone intentionally shuns the owner, there's just no interest in it. It pulls up dead quiet, no burnout, goes down the track in silence, and no one really even notices. No one talks about it being fast, or not, and I don't think anyone even goes in the lane next to it. They just let it go by itself. I don't personally care about racing one, kinda like I wouldn't line up next to a motorcycle either whether I'm the faster competitor or not. I've got an RC truck that's AWD and will carry the front tires 20 feet if I grab a handful of trigger on the control and does 70mph so yeah electric is instant torque and can be fast, but just not the same for me. No sound, no burnout, no pulling the front tires off the ground, no drama, no wondering what's gonna happen as it goes down the track. What's the point?
I say, mix them in as long as they do not have any unfair advantage. Example, the car comes with 3 power levels. What are the odds that one of the power levels lands exactly on the 11.00 index? So then you will have to add weight, let up on the throttle etc just like always. The Tesla Plaids I have raced are leaving off the foot brake. So reation time is driver skill and nothing else that I know of. And my Demon is about .1 quicker in the 60. Which surprised me. The Dodge Musclecar will likely 60 foot way better. I hope for all wheel drive and Nexens on all 4 corners AND a 3 speed Transmission. In the Tesla, YES the motors have instant torque but it is direct drive and the drive ratio is set up for the overall top speed. So there is a gearing disadvantage that the Dodge will not have.

I am 63, an Old Guy, and I am never going to stop learning and moving forward with all this amazing stuff. I feel sorry for all those that will not. Honestly I think most people like electric cars, because they are fun to drive. I have not driven one my self so this is just an assumption that I have. But they ARE more expensive. Once the price comes down sales will catch on fire (JK).

Last edited:

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
I’m personally waiting for hell to freeze over, then the power grid chances are I’ll never see this as a option in my lifetime. But never say never because you can get proven wrong.