Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Project Farm Pennzoil oil comparison

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I know I will be in the mason jar on a shelf in my garage.
I'll be in pepper shaker at fancy steak house.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I think it would scary everyone if they saw how @16GoManGoHC2 drove that thing! It knows it's speed governor daily :ROFLMAO:
But It’s the sport model, I thought that’s what they were for?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Years ago I used to worry of this kinda stuff, but as I tested stuff and learned a little I quit doing that. You can find some posts from me over on BITOG from back then, same username.

My 4Runner is 20 years old and I've owned it almost the entire time. It's gone to once a year oil changes regardless of mileage driven and I've used Penzoil Platinum for a LONG time. Like 15 of those years I think. People fret over what oil they use when they probably won't even own the car more than 4-5 years or only drive a few thousand miles a year.

PUP is the obvious winner, but I can't find it around here. Just the virgin oil analysis alone with the good additive pack result is enough to show that, however with it being hard to find looks like the standard synthetic is the better way to go so I'll be switching to that going forward I reckon.

Mobil 1 0W40 Euro for the Hellcat. It's the best off the shelf stuff around here.

Last edited:
OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #24
Amazon

Shows up like magic, almost like I ordered it...

: p

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Wally World is about 5 minutes from the house, and something satisfying about just walking in and grabbing it off the shelf for me I guess. I grab the oil and the Mobil1 filter for whatever car I'm working on for that day and back home. Bonus the car is up to temp for the oil change. Just my preference.

The PUP 0W40 being locked down by Penzoil due to the contract with Mopar makes it more challenging to find and I'm just not willing to play the "find the deal" game with Amazon or NAPA. I get a discount at my local dealer but I'm not willing to work around their parts dept hours to go pick it up, and with the discount it's still $60 for just the oil. It's not so much the money per se' as it is I don't think you really get what you pay for in terms of the difference vs the Mobil 1 I can get for $22 a 5qt jug. Ran Mobil 1 in the old car for 10 years racing all the time etc so it's proven for my use case.

I've considered going to the Super Syn brand for the 4Runner. Last I checked it had really good analysis results. I need to look in to that again.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I think it would scary everyone if they saw how @16GoManGoHC2 drove that thing! It knows it's speed governor daily :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, that's why I prefer driving the 'Cat over the TRX. It hits the limiter at a measly 118 mph.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
And @16GoManGoHC2 I've got some work to do on my 4Runner as well that I keep putting off for basically the same reason. Toyotas, at least our models, are great vehicles but man they sure make them a PITA to work on. I need to do valve cover gaskets on mine as both have developed a small leak at 150,000 miles but to get to them I have to pull half the engine apart, remove the supercharger, etc. It's like a 10 hour job I bet. I'll be curious how the top end looks when I get in there. I'll be sure to post pics of how once a year oil changes have done. Oil analysis has said good to go, but I'm still curious how it "looks" in there.

I actually paid the dealer to do my timing belt and pulleys for this same reason. I had a coupon and it made the labor like $600. Was a no brainer to save my weekend and my knuckles. Book says to change the t-belt at 90K miles, but I went to 140K on mine and the belt actually still looked good. One idler pulley was a little "rough" feeling, but not crazy bad.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Yeah, that's why I prefer driving the 'Cat over the TRX. It hits the limiter at a measly 118 mph.
I could fix that for you :ROFLMAO: I'm actually surprised it is that high. I wonder what the speed rating on the tire is.

As far as oil and filters go. I have always ran Pennzoil in the hellcat as I can usually find it cheap on amazon here and there. I ran Valvoline once in a car was not a fan. After the oil change the car smelt like it was burning oil so I changed it. Mobile1 had a really good sale at costco a few months ago so I bought a bunch for the explorer.
I think most good named full synthetics do the trick especially for a daily driver.

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
From the way it performed on the recommended crap Monday, how all the Dodge programming, recommendations, expectations, and the subsequent “change engine oil” idiot light that appears after reaching over 290 degrees many times, (like we don’t know to change it) I don’t give a rip. That case of Mobil that has been hanging around for too long is going to be used. Thanks @Speedy! if it is good enough for your car, mine will do fine for a few more months on it also. Same goes for the damn warranty worries! Done, rant over.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Well, I just considered that Mobil 1 was THE oil for SRT vehicles until FCA took over and the contract changed. I had an analysis done by Blackstone and after 6,000 miles the TBN was still 5.0 on the M1 0W40 euro which is phenomenal.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I could fix that for you :ROFLMAO: I'm actually surprised it is that high. I wonder what the speed rating on the tire is./QUOTE]

Yep, it's the OE tire that limits it. Then I made it a little bit worse by changing to another (narrower) tire with a slightly lower speed rating.

But since I won't be at max load, for sustained periods, or in high ambient temps, I'm not concerned with the tires. What does concern me is when passing someone that's poking around at 70 or so, and there's only a limited passing opportunity.

Hitting the limiter isn't on the top of my list when trying to spend as little time as possible in the opposing lane, being done before running out of straight road and/or line of sight.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Well, I just considered that Mobil 1 was THE oil for SRT vehicles until FCA took over and the contract changed. I had an analysis done by Blackstone and after 6,000 miles the TBN was still 5.0 on the M1 0W40 euro which is phenomenal.
I tried Mobil 1 Euro ( the correct grade) in a 6.4 Ram, and that resulted in lots of lifter noise at startup. So back to the recommended oil I went.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
And @16GoManGoHC2 I've got some work to do on my 4Runner as well that I keep putting off for basically the same reason. Toyotas, at least our models, are great vehicles but man they sure make them a PITA to work on. I need to do valve cover gaskets on mine as both have developed a small leak at 150,000 miles but to get to them I have to pull half the engine apart, remove the supercharger, etc. It's like a 10 hour job I bet. I'll be curious how the top end looks when I get in there. I'll be sure to post pics of how once a year oil changes have done. Oil analysis has said good to go, but I'm still curious how it "looks" in there.

I actually paid the dealer to do my timing belt and pulleys for this same reason. I had a coupon and it made the labor like $600. Was a no brainer to save my weekend and my knuckles. Book says to change the t-belt at 90K miles, but I went to 140K on mine and the belt actually still looked good. One idler pulley was a little "rough" feeling, but not crazy bad.
@Speedy!
What year is your Runner?