Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

POLL - Do you want the EV (MY24+ Dodge Charger Daytona Banshee) offering from Dodge SRT???

Do you want the EV offering from Dodge SRT???

• (+) Yes, I want it as soon as I can order it.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • (n) - I'll wait and see.

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • (n) - Not as currently revealed (i.e. Style, fake trans/exhaust), but maybe with significant changes

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • (n) - I was interested (maybe) in the hybrid trans possibility on the existing platform of RE/HC

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • (-) NEVER! Long live I.C.E.!

Votes: 39 39.0%
  • (-) NEVER! EVs based on Climate Change are a lie!

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other... Yeah, you know the deal, say it below...

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • (-) No, Not for me

Votes: 37 37.0%
  • (+) I am interested but want to learn more

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • (+) I am interested as an option after my current car?

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters
OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #121
I spent my career in product engineering and manufacturing and I must have heard people tell me 1000 times in the last 50 years that manufacturers design their products to fail so they will be able to sell them a new one, they called it Planned Obsolescence. Any attempt I made to say otherwise fell on deaf ears.

Well, here we are today, cars with batteries that can cost $10k-$15k or more, and warrantied to last 8-10 years. Then what? After 10 years of driving you need to drop another $10-15k?!?!? And what is the warranty on the replacement? Anyone wanna’ bet it ain’t goin’ to be no 10 years?!?!?

The so-called Planned Obsolescence has arrived, and it seems like most now embrace it. I have lived my life on another world and I do not understand this one.

Similar career path myself

Project budget constraints on the production side equates to "Planned Obsolescence" perceptions on the end user side.

I could easily make things last MUCH longer, but nobody was ever willing to pay for it.

I've had so many end users tell me that's "good enough" only to complain later...

And they never remember the "good enough" statement either.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
Bull wrote:

"I could easily make things last MUCH longer, but nobody was ever willing to pay for it."

There are a lot of things some people would be willing to pay for - if they understood there was an option.

I once asked a home builder why they didn't use stainless steel nails and screws on exterior parts of homes and he said, "Money".

I countered, "What would it cost to upgrade from nails and screws that rust and leave vertical rust stains where people can see it? $50? $100?"

He shrugged and said, "Money."

I said, "If you'd ask me to pay such a small difference to avoid rust stains, something I'd value as well as any future home buyer, I would."

He said, "You aren't the average home buyer."

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
When my shop was built it was like $150 to go from base level concrete like 3500psi or whatever to 4500psi. It was a no brainer. I don't mind paying more for something that lasts.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 HCM6 2022 RENB
Similar career path myself

Project budget constraints on the production side equates to "Planned Obsolescence" perceptions on the end user side.

I could easily make things last MUCH longer, but nobody was ever willing to pay for it.

I've had so many end users tell me that's "good enough" only to complain later...

And they never remember the "good enough" statement either.
Many preimum companies have gone out of business because they didn't have a cheapo alternative which is why even premium brands these days have low end offerings.

Most "prudent" (cheap, like me) shoppers look very carefully at price, and often pick the cheap alternative. Example: I have since replaced all the cheap faucets in my house with Simmons. When you have a limited budget you tend to go cheap. You never have enough money to do it right the first time, but you learn you need to pay up to be happy the 2nd time around!

Is that a 53E?

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
311570566_10222806078684220_4917315190177663102_n.jpg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 HCM6 2022 RENB

Unfortunately both are now not only obsolete, but are now enemies of the state. We are obsolete also.

Sad as it is, we have had a good run, and I am happy beyond expression that I have been able to participate in and enjoy this resurgence of the Muscle Car. I drooled over the 340, 383, and 440 Challengers and Chargers. (I never actually saw a real 426 until about 1978.) Resurgence is an understatement, we have experienced the pinnacle of muscle car history like no one before, and no one will after (unless you like golf carts).

We did well, the stars aligned, we got ours, maybe we shouldn’t have, but no one is taking it away. FROM MY COLD DEAD RIGHT FOOT!

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
Many preimum companies have gone out of business because they didn't have a cheapo alternative which is why even premium brands these days have low end offerings.

Most "prudent" (cheap, like me) shoppers look very carefully at price, and often pick the cheap alternative. Example: I have since replaced all the cheap faucets in my house with Simmons. When you have a limited budget you tend to go cheap. You never have enough money to do it right the first time, but you learn you need to pay up to be happy the 2nd time around!

Is that a 53E?
I try and identify the "value point" in any product's line up, whether within a brand's offerings or comparing brands. It takes effort, but unless you're made of money and don't care it is worth it. Take a look at the top model and decide if you really need all the features. Usually I don't, and I suspect the profit margin expands at the top models. Sometimes though, especially with electronics, you want to think about longevity of the product. Take a look at the cheapest models, keeping in mind you usually get what you pay for. I often find the price point/feature list about 70% from the bottom model is the value point.

Another thing I learned from a plumber about 20 years ago was that residential hot water heaters come with various length warranties. I think the offerings for a replacement one had a 7, 12 and 20 year warranty. Big price differences. He said they are all the same water heater - you're only buying the warranty. What? Yep. So I bought the 7 year model for about half the price of the 20 year model. Same heater.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
I try and identify the "value point" in any product's line up, whether within a brand's offerings or comparing brands. It takes effort, but unless you're made of money and don't care it is worth it. Take a look at the top model and decide if you really need all the features. Usually I don't, and I suspect the profit margin expands at the top models. Sometimes though, especially with electronics, you want to think about longevity of the product. Take a look at the cheapest models, keeping in mind you usually get what you pay for. I often find the price point/feature list about 70% from the bottom model is the value point.

Another thing I learned from a plumber about 20 years ago was that residential hot water heaters come with various length warranties. I think the offerings for a replacement one had a 7, 12 and 20 year warranty. Big price differences. He said they are all the same water heater - you're only buying the warranty. What? Yep. So I bought the 7 year model for about half the price of the 20 year model. Same heater.
But did your heater last 20 years? ;)

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 HCM6 2022 RENB

Sometimes you can go cheap, I love the $10 on sale 4.5" angle grinder from HF, the $6 on sale float charger too. Lots of their stuff is fine. Never bought their driver drills and related items.

On the other hand, going cheap on some things is absolutely stupid. Firearms are a good example, a smart person will completely ignore the lower 2/3 of the market. A quality gun will last 2-3 lifetimes making you, your kids and grandkids happy., a cheap gun will not make you happy, and no one will want to buy it from you. It's like buying a Yugo.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Sometimes you can go cheap, I love the $10 on sale 4.5" angle grinder from HF, the $6 on sale float charger too. Lots of their stuff is fine. Never bought their driver drills and related items..
You must not use your grinders much. I've burnt up several of those HF ones. Used to keep them in a few vehicles for emergencies, then started using them.

Wouldn't trust one of their chargers even in your garage. With mine a couple of hundred feet from the house, a defective charger couldn't affect the house if it caused a fire, but still. Too much at stake in my mind.

Their "expensive" drill bits aren't half bad, though. Brittle as all hell, but once you get used to treating them accordingly, they do cut really well.

Last edited:

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
I'm honestly not sure why I'll consider the bicycle and not the car?
Political agendas aside, it is because of critical, logical thinking, and application of a reasonable solution/technology for the application. You will not find a bigger opponent of EV than me, but electricity is wonderful - in it's proper place - the primary propulsion system of an automobile ain't one of them by any stretch.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
OP
BULL

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #134

Wow...

"Reaction was off the charts," he told MotorTrend in an interview on the auto show floor. Media coverage quickly garnered more than 20 million views—the equivalent of about $47 million in marketing costs, he says. "It started off super negative,"

:unsure:

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Wow...

"Reaction was off the charts," he told MotorTrend in an interview on the auto show floor. Media coverage quickly garnered more than 20 million views—the equivalent of about $47 million in marketing costs, he says. "It started off super negative,"

LOL it is what they say it is. Don't ask any questions ;)

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
I don’t know. I can’t say I’m a fan of the gimmicky noise this thing puts out but if they were able to actually replicate the sounds of our Hellcats would that be a bad thing?🤔 obviously not necessary in the function of the vehicle but would be interesting.

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I don’t know. I can’t say I’m a fan of the gimmicky noise this thing puts out but if they were able to actually replicate the sounds of our Hellcats would that be a bad thing?🤔 obviously not necessary in the function of the vehicle but would be interesting.
I will totally pass on any car karaoke. The EV sounding "like" a Hellcat is like a drunk old lady thinking she is Pasty Cline all the sudden.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Wow...

Only mostly negative now

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I will totally pass on any car karaoke. The EV sounding "like" a Hellcat is like a drunk old lady thinking she is Pasty Cline all the sudden.
Car Karaoke [twothumb]

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
It was important to make sound with the movement of air, not with some speakers."
...pretty hard to make sound without the movement of air. :rolleyes: