Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Let’s build a race car

Am I insane?

• Total voters

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I would choose the area that’s not a dead air zone and pin them both TMAP, block the rest. I would be looking to see how this is handled with a 6.4/5.7 hellcat supercharger adapter kit. Not quite apples to oranges, since you’re still on dealing with one sensor in the Holley kit as you would stock 6.4/5.7 harness. Even though others couldn’t speak to the bypass, I’m sure @Marc W couod provide some insight on the mat/map
Option 3
De-pin both. Put MAT sensor pin and map pin on one tmap sensor.

In any instance block off ports will be needed. Easy day on those

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #262
I would choose the area that’s not a dead air zone and pin them both TMAP, block the rest. I would be looking to see how this is handled with a 6.4/5.7 hellcat supercharger adapter kit. Not quite apples to oranges, since you’re still on dealing with one sensor in the Holley kit as you would stock 6.4/5.7 harness. Even though others couldn’t speak to the bypass, I’m sure @Marc W couod provide some insight on the mat/map
MMX provides a plug n’ play harness for gen 3 hemis that do the ihi 2.4 to 5.7/6.4 swap. i have a call out to them and am awaiting a reply.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Freaking hellcat swaps seems to be the hardest to do. A LS or Coyote swap you can buy everything you need from 1-3 places.

Mopar it seems to take 50 places and you have to piece it all together?

Or am I missing something?

You have much more resolve than I have. Enjoy!

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
You may be the only one ever doing what you are. Very few are doing any stand alone stuff with the Gen 3 Hemi. I know because several of the name shop guys have contacted me with questions. None of them were trying to make a IHI supercharger with its electronic bypass work. The others (us included) went straight to the Whipples with manual throttle bodies and bypass. You order them that way and there isn’t any need to figure anything out like you’re doing. I have spent zero time thinking about any of what you are needing to. I simply ordered the DragPak package and plugged it all together. It’s obvious that you have the necessary background to understand and take on this challenge. I’m watching, as I do not. I didn’t do the complete system setup as you are. I simply watched and learned some as it was done by the guy who did. Once you get this figured out, it will allow you to move over to a more powerful supercharger without being limited to the less common non-electronic versions. Once you get everything set up and running, I think you’ll really enjoy the tuning capabilities and all the options there are compared to the OE.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #265

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Option 2 sounds cleaner to me personally. However building plugs and harnesses is pretty easy if you have the de-pin tools and crimpers/connectors. I've done it both ways. I'd pick the one that is the LEAST invasive and easiest to service/trouble shoot if necessary. Keep good wiring diagrams color coded of course. I build mind in Visio, but you probably have something more sophisticated.

Here's an example from my 4Runner:

1705340981292.png

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Freaking hellcat swaps seems to be the hardest to do. A LS or Coyote swap you can buy everything you need from 1-3 places.

Mopar it seems to take 50 places and you have to piece it all together?

Or am I missing something?

You have much more resolve than I have. Enjoy!
There are a couple companies I believe give you everything to swap in an old mopar. Jon had a 69 plymouth with a hellcat swap at his house last spring for tuning. The guy that brought it over has done a few

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #269
Feast time
IMG_1601.jpeg

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #271
tell me you have the whole gen 3 hemi dominator setup without telling me you have the whole dominator setup 😂
IMG_1606.jpeg
if you break off the noodles in the sauce pan you are as bad as the pineapple on

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #272
And the alternator is going to have to come off again to be converted to a one wire. If you haven’t done that already…. you’ll need to if you go with the Holley EFI. 😁
Just went through the montions on this, was pretty easy setup. Good thing a lot of the resto mod guys have figured this out. Can never have enough MSD relays 😂

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
How much is a bag of 6?

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #275
OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #276
Need some advice, hopefully will hear from the good idea fairies here.

I have items in the car that can be controlled in various ways via switches, the holley efi or thermistors. I'd like to hear what other people might have done.

Thermistors
These are elements that are self regulated at a pre-set temperature. For example the thermistor setup for the trans cooler would be a static 165*F. Once the temperature is reached the circuit that is open would close and allow the flow of angry pixies into the fan and she'll whirl till the temperature condition is not met. Rinse and repeat.

Pros: easy management, less wiring (ground and positive to relay and that's it), relay is still required but I'm using MSD 4-1 relays.
Cons: thermistor is a mechanical device, prone to wear and tear and breaking, if it goes at the track the racing day is over.

Manual Switches
Painless makes some great switches, low budget Jegs and Summit are also snazzy pieces as well. These would still be hooked up to a MSD relay and would be ground activated. Once I learned what ground switching is, I think it's the bee's knees! I expect my ground buss bar to have a lot of hookups...

Pros: easy management as well, one wire on a switch to the relay. The Jegs and Summit pieces are inexpensive. Allows full control of item no matter the condition.

Cons: The Painless switch is expensive, they also want you to buy into their harness and if you don't you void warranty immediately. The Jegs and Summit pieces although inexpensive may be Chinesium, also since it's ground switch you won't get the fancy leds potentially lighting up.

Holley EFI
Coolant temp sensor, trans temp sensor (has to be wired in in any case), oil temp sensor would all be monitorable in the software. This allows you to create output triggers to the relays which means you can do something as cool as.

If "above" 600 rpm AND trans temp > 175 kick the fans on.
1705767803903.png

There is nothing special about the above, no secret sauce, this is Holley I/O 101. While not cranking and temp sensor is above 175, turn the fans on.

Pros: Electronic "thermistor" per say. Also wouldn't jar the electrical system as the RPM gate would stop the fans turning on if the car was already hot while cranking. Easily configurable. Unlimited options and logic gates from Holley. Can do ground switching from the Holley so no 12v+ needed.
Cons: No manual control, if the EFI goes down, the whole car goes down, sensors be damned.

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated. I know this is really race specific but I know @Marc W might have some feedback.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I knoooow nothing! 😂

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Why not use two of the options you presented together. Holley for control but also have manual override switches for functions you might need beyond what you might have programmed in.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Actually I have one of the Painless Switching panels mounted to the role bar overhead. Ignition (power on). Fuel pump. Start. Intercooler pump. One fan that is switched. The other is auto. Accessory switch (lights). That’s it for me. I’ll have to find a picture of that.

Last edited:

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I didn’t keep the pictures I had of that. May be one in my build thread. Here’s something else though…. The shop Magnum is running the Holley EFI and uses this. Not even using all the switches. He has another device that operates lights, signals, horn and wipers because it’s a drag n drive car. You can see that to the left of the steering wheel in the second picture IMG_3631.jpeg IMG_4041.jpeg