Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Jon's Hellcat

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I believe it can be with the right built bottom end and the 3.0 Whipple, along with a built trans and the right driveline parts.
I mean if Jon and I know a few others who have gone into the high 8's on the stock bottom end, trans and rears. I think with right built bottom end and supporting mods 8.5's will be capable and reliably done.
I would have it caged at those speeds.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #922
I would have it caged at those speeds.
i like to look at it as a street car before a race car. A cage changes this. That’s why there is a big desicion to be made.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #923
@RGPIII if I’m not mistaken from the Facebook groups summit tunes your car but I don’t think I know your mods

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
i like to look at it as a street car before a race car. A cage changes this. That’s why there is a big desicion to be made.
You're young and have kid(s). You need to be there for them. Just my opinion.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Ya. I don’t know. I think I could port the blower and turn the tune down a little and it would be a safer setup. But what’s next geesh. I have an ice box to install but I have been thinking a chiller would be easier to use. Ice seems to be a pain. So maybe I do a chiller and a port over winter. Both making the car more reliable at the same power level. But I have to say I made a 9.3 pass in a charger this week and it cut a 1.4 60. Let me tell you I’m not giving up the 1.2 60s they just feel so much better.
I guess you and I need to keep each other posted one what we decide is the best thing to do. A chute no problem. A cage yuck.
I keep thinking to spray a 150 shot to it. But at the same time then I’m dealing with bottles. I thought about adding the hellion compound kit. But we’ll then I need to think more about a cage and built engine. So who knows. With parts shortages if I want a built engine I need to order parts now b
I currently am running an ice box in the trunk. I plan on switching to the IC Chiller over winter and removing the ice box. I think my biggest issue right now is the weight of my car. With me in it it crossed the scales at 4700lbs. I've cut 1.3 60's but I know that's asking a ton of the driveline parts. I plan on the 15 inch conversion over winter so I can get that added traction to also try and lower the 60 or at least get it more consistent. Definitely agree cage=yuck haha. I personally don't think the hellion twins will run as fast as the Whipple cars. My current goal is to finish this season out at a 8.99 or better. Then switch to the 15's in the rear, add the chiller, remove the ice box, and add the parachute. then let winter take its toll on my brain and see where we end up. :devilish: my ADHD and need to be faster will undoubtedly win.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
@RGPIII if I’m not mistaken from the Facebook groups summit tunes your car but I don’t think I know your mods
yes, Sumit Tunes my car, really simple mods, 3.0 Whipple, 3.0 upper stock lower, 2 inch headers, 1700idx injectors, tapped triple pumps, E85, I run Ethanol one R for overkill on knowing I have good fuel in it to lean on. all of the other normal supporting upgrades. factory front seats, rear seat delete. car is crazy heavy and me being 270lbs doesn't help.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #927
yes, Sumit Tunes my car, really simple mods, 3.0 Whipple, 3.0 upper stock lower, 2 inch headers, 1700idx injectors, tapped triple pumps, E85, I run Ethanol one R for overkill on knowing I have good fuel in it to lean on. all of the other normal supporting upgrades. factory front seats, rear seat delete. car is crazy heavy and me being 270lbs doesn't help.
I also run one ethonal R. It’s made an hour north of my house. Great fuel! I buy it by the drum.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I also run one ethonal R. It’s made an hour north of my house. Great fuel! I buy it by the drum.
I'm not nearly as close to them but I buy it buy the drum as well. Amazing fuel.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #929
I'm not nearly as close to them but I buy it buy the drum as well. Amazing fuel.
@vortecdis almost the identical setup. He just went 9.1. His car may even be heavier than yours. Being a stock 2016 engine just like you has been the concern. If he wasn’t stock engine he would have seen 8s this weekend. But the power it would have taken to knock a 10th off wasn’t worth the engine.
If you aren’t worried about it I think you’ll have no issues with 8s. We are only shifting his car at 6300 to 6350. Which is very low. If I felt comfortable spinning it to 6700 and 2 more degrees of timing I think he would have been dang close to that 8.99 mark.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
@vortecdis almost the identical setup. He just went 9.1. His car may even be heavier than yours. Being a stock 2016 engine just like you has been the concern. If he wasn’t stock engine he would have seen 8s this weekend. But the power it would have taken to knock a 10th off wasn’t worth the engine.
If you aren’t worried about it I think you’ll have no issues with 8s. We are only shifting his car at 6300 to 6350. Which is very low. If I felt comfortable spinning it to 6700 and 2 more degrees of timing I think he would have been dang close to that 8.99 mark.
I agree there, we have been keeping it about 6500-6600. I think I will push it to 6800 at Cecil. pretty sure we are over here thinking the same on not wanting to hurt the engine. These Whipples seem to come alive with rpm. There is another local Charger with this same setup that's been in the 8's already. He's been spinning 7000-7100 and his is still alive and running. I just cant bring myself to be that brave.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
You guys heard anything about these superchargers having problems when ice boxes and more specifically the IC Chillers are used? A couple folks left comments on my YT channel about the temp swing causing some kind of issue with the rotors expanding from heat and the case contracting from the cooling and they make contact.

While safety is obviously very important, I agree on the cage thing. I've never ridden in a car with a cage that was comfortable. Squeeky, creeky, rattley, and just generally not fun to ride in on the street.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #932
You guys heard anything about these superchargers having problems when ice boxes and more specifically the IC Chillers are used? A couple folks left comments on my YT channel about the temp swing causing some kind of issue with the rotors expanding from heat and the case contracting from the cooling and they make contact.

While safety is obviously very important, I agree on the cage thing. I've never ridden in a car with a cage that was comfortable. Squeeky, creeky, rattley, and just generally not fun to ride in on the street.
Josh told me he stopped warranting certain things that use chillers but at the same time he uses one. I’ve had concerns about to cold of temps. Colder isn’t always better. But I think as far as heat goes it has to be better than doing passes on a really hot blower.
you have to be careful with those YouTube guys sometimes 😂😂

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

There seems to have been a run of them that were built that have had rotor or bearing issues. Seems Whipple is aware of them. I've run mine with the ice box since day 1. I have popped my throttle body off on occasion to inspect the front of the rotors to see if there is any damage and so far so good. Also I have seen the guys with lowers and smaller uppers are having the most issues with them. I believe the chiller will offer more stable temperature swings than the ice box does.

absolutely agree with you and Jon on the cage situation. It takes the street car aspect of the car away. I attend many car shows with my car and enjoy just driving it around when not racing it.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #934
I agree there, we have been keeping it about 6500-6600. I think I will push it to 6800 at Cecil. pretty sure we are over here thinking the same on not wanting to hurt the engine. These Whipples seem to come alive with rpm. There is another local Charger with this same setup that's been in the 8's already. He's been spinning 7000-7100 and his is still alive and running. I just cant bring myself to be that brave.
I see no problems with this. Espicially, since you are aware of what you are doing. Not like if it blows you will blame summit. Even when his car blew. I commented and said go fast stuff like this happens. And it does. Someone asked me the other day about a stock demon engine wanting to run 8s safe. I said 8s and safe aren’t the same thing 😂 something will eventually go wrong. Can you do it. O yes you can.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I just got mine :ROFLMAO:

1667239146074.png

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I also think that the crazy freezing temps aren't needed. My passes have all been 40 degrees and end at about 60 degrees. Then I let it cool down between passes. circulating intermittently while in the pits. with the chiller I do not plan on running an additional storage tank, just my factory overflow.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I see no problems with this. Espicially, since you are aware of what you are doing. Not like if it blows you will blame summit. Even when his car blew. I commented and said go fast stuff like this happens. And it does. Someone asked me the other day about a stock demon engine wanting to run 8s safe. I said 8s and safe aren’t the same thing 😂 something will eventually go wrong. Can you do it. O yes you can.
I trust Sumit. I know he knows what he's doing, I also look over every log myself. IF mine lets go it will not be blamed on Sumit. we are testing limits for sure.

I was there with him when it did. It had nothing to do with RPM, We know exactly what caused it to happen. a very good learning experience. That is his story to tell. But it was not due to anything that most believe.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I trust Sumit. I know he knows what he's doing, I also look over every log myself. IF mine lets go it will not be blamed on Sumit. we are testing limits for sure.

I was there with him when it did. It had nothing to do with RPM, We know exactly what caused it to happen. a very good learning experience. That is his story to tell. But it was not due to anything that most believe.
Should I post what I was told happened?

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Should I post what I was told happened?
Its not my story to tell. I'm sure there are all kinds of different stories floating around but it was a very simple oversight that was the issue.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Its not my story to tell. I'm sure there are all kinds of different stories floating around but it was a very simple oversight that was the issue.
That's exactly what I was told. Could happen to anyone.