Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Development Status - Inconel brake rotors

CDT Rotors

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Frederick
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger Hellcat
[TL;DR - We are now developing an Inconel625/718 based rotor]

It has been some time since we've spoken to the public on the open forum, and excuses being what they are, we've had issues to contend with.​

We've been testing various iterations of core design, coatings (more on this in a bit) and slight variations in material, both on the brake-dyno in Detroit as well as on-car testing with @BULL's Challenger. And while there was a certain level of success in that testing, our goal is not to deliver anything short of 100%. If we weren't trying to satisfy halo-car drivers, for cars that weigh 4400lbs and can achieve 200mph, we might have been done ages ago.​

(Fun Fact: One of the DOT standards for brakes is to test a car at BOTH 90% Vmax and Gross vehicle weight - Who does this?)

==============================================
20210223_090944.jpg

(A couple of on-car shots of two different iterations)
20230311_141554.jpg
20230416_173147.jpg
20230417_141556.jpg
=================================

Ultimately, our original A1000-RAM10 material, was not fully compatible with "off the shelf" pad linings. We were working with a few different pad manufacturers, but ultimately our focus was on the rotor and being able to provide a solution to the broader market, not one that required a specific and "only" pad material.​

Earlier, "coatings" were mentioned. One of these coatings was a nickel based "cold-spray" application, and this was very promising, but had adhesion issues. As a result, it was scrapped from development, but we never forgot the initial performance realized in this design iteration. Pad CoF (Coefficient of Friction) was very good!​

• Our primary goal was, and is, to offer a rotor at least as light as carbon-fiber, for notably less money, longer life than cast-iron, more durable than other exotic offerings, and at least the same performance, not only for drag racing (light weight/E.T.), but also road racing (CoF/Heat). Not an easy task.

=================================

3D printing is at the heart of this design challenge, it allows for a heat-exchanger design (really what a brake rotor is) that can not be cast due to internal channels and paths, as well as what is generally referred to as "thin-wall" features. In a simplified way, these features are the basis for our patent. This is what makes this rotor so much better, it's ability to dissipate heat energy. All materials have various thermal properties, and among other reasons, this is why we initially chose the A1000-RAM series material. The thermal conductivity is very high. The initial A1000 designs that went to Detroit to be tested, on the same brake-dynos that the Big-Three use, performed so well that the technicians had to dramatically shorten the dwell time between test sections because the rotor was cooling off so much faster than they were used to!​

IMG_3939 simple.jpg

But in the end, we need to move on to another material that is more inline with the industry and the OTS pad linings that we all love and use. Remember that nickel cold-spray coating? Here comes Inconel...​

Inconel is an advanced aerospace "super-alloy" and is normally reserved for the toughest design jobs like holding jet engines together. It has very good high-temperature performance and is not only very strong, but also very corrosion resistant due to it's high nickel content. It is also one of the leading materials that is being used in advanced 3D metal printing. By contrast it is heavy compared to the A1000 that we were using, however it makes up for it in high-temperature strength, so we can use much thinner wall sections in our "core". Another benefit to this is that in heat-exchanger design, a thin-wall feature is able to shed energy at a proportionally faster rate than the same material in a "thick-wall" condition, despite having the same thermal coefficient! We did gain a bit of mass, but don't worry, they're still lighter than the CF offerings and it is fully expected that the pad compatibility issues that we've been fighting should be addressed! We don't like to share CAD images because we think they tend to be less than fully credible, but as soon as we have some good shots available, we'll post them up.​
The very first Inconel units recently came off of the printer and are headed to post-processing. It won't be long now before they are in testing, and while we don't plan on shortcutting testing, it's expected that because this material is at its heart a "steel", and not an aluminum-ceramic MMC, things should progress with less "issues".​
Feel free to ask questions and discuss, we'll answer what we can...​

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
When it became apparent that Inconel was a viable material, I became very excited.

Edit: Removed forward looking statement about Inconel

Last edited:

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
  • “Our primary goal was, and is, to offer a rotor at least as light as carbon-fiber, for notably less money, longer life than cast-iron, more durable than other exotic offerings, and at least the same performance, not only for drag racing (light weight/E.T.), but also road racing (CoF/Heat). Not an easy task. “

Very lofty goal there. You’ve set the bar quite high for yourselves! I look forward to seeing the progress and end product, and I’m just a street driver…

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
do you plan on a rotor to work with 15in conversions ?

OP
CDT Rotors

CDT Rotors

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Frederick
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Perfect! Right now we do not have a great durable option. My 15in conversion does not do great and get hot fast. I do believe they have since come out with a new design but this is something I would be interested in.

OP
CDT Rotors

CDT Rotors

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Frederick
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
Perfect! Right now we do not have a great durable option. My 15in conversion does not do great and get hot fast. I do believe they have since come out with a new design but this is something I would be interested in.

We'll initially cover all of the various SRT rotors/calipers, 4 and 6 pot, and 350, 390 and 400mm etc, from MY2015 forward. Others (including other makes/models) will come on a demand basis. Lingenfelter at one point was interested in a large order for their Vettes.

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
These are cool and yes inconel is a really awesome material. I used to make mining components out of it! If only we had this type of 3D printing 25 years ago🤣

OP
CDT Rotors

CDT Rotors

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Frederick
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
These are cool and yes inconel is a really awesome material. I used to make mining components out of it! If only we had this type of 3D printing 25 years ago🤣

In "powder" form used in DMLS (Direct Metal Laser Sintering), the version we are using with some proprietary components runs about $130/kg.

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
Thanks for the update and looking forward to the finished product.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Better than stock and lighter weight. I'm in.

OP
CDT Rotors

CDT Rotors

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Frederick
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
Thanks! We are excited to be moving forward again!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Following with fingers and toes crossed on test results being positive.

OP
CDT Rotors

CDT Rotors

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Frederick
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #14
Following with fingers and toes crossed on test results being positive.

You too? We thought it was just us... :p

;)

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Those fender wells seem to clean for a test car 😉

OP
CDT Rotors

CDT Rotors

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Frederick
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
Those fender wells seem to clean for a test car 😉

He can be a bit OCD

2fast4u

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
We are WAITING...LOL. I am extremely happy to see the forward progress, hope these will be ready soon!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
We are WAITING...LOL. I am extremely happy to see the forward progress, hope these will be ready soon!

Alex, I'll take "Things That Eat At My Soul" for $100...

: (

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
When it became apparent that Inconel was a viable material, I became very excited.

Edit: Removed forward looking statement about Inconel

:oops:
Precision castparts corp own special metals corp and is privately traded, they own the rights to most Iconel formulas, was hoping to snatch up some stocks as you drive up prices. ;) Also please be careful with statements like this, FTC doesn't take too kindly to speculative financial assertions... as Elon... meanwhile Ill be over here buying Iconel commodities

little known fact Iconel has a property like aluminum in which it forms an oxide layer, that's what gets attacked instead of the base metal, very cool property and awesome that you got this moving along...

Edited Forward looking statement

Last edited by a moderator:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Precision castparts corp own special metals corp and is privately traded, they own the rights to most Iconel formulas, was hoping to snatch up some stocks as you drive up prices. ;) Also please be careful with statements like this, FTC doesn't take too kindly to speculative financial assertions... as Elon... meanwhile Ill be over here buying Iconel commodities

little known fact Iconel has a property like aluminum in which it forms an oxide layer, that's what gets attacked instead of the base metal, very cool property and awesome that you got this moving along...

Hmmmmmm....

"My previous post contains 'Forward Looking Statements'"..... Or however it is that that disclaimer goes... :unsure: