Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Anyone with 18 x 6 Weld Alumastar 2.0 fronts using a larger tire ?

Indigo Joe

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
The sticks
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Does anyone with the 18 x 6 Weld 2.0 Alumastars over a big Brembo stock setup use a wider front tire than the typical skinny? I am looking at the Goodyear or similar 225/60R18.

For limited street use, more rubber on the ground. Also, I have to drive 100 miles on the expressway to the track. Tire in consideration is 28.6" tall and will fit on a 6" wheel. (My rears are 29 tall 305 MT R's) Note the specs on the bottom of the photo.

I would like to see front/side view photos of the 225/60R18's on a Narrow Body car with Alumastars, if possible.
OR MT 28" S/R #6688 photos as well. Plan B. Again, on a narrow body.

They weigh 25lb's same as the 28" tall MT S/R #6688 skinny. I will never exceed the V, 140 something speed rating for what I will do with them in the quarter mile.

Basically, will they work and look ok is my concern?

They have a hard compound I notice. Not sure if that is good, or potentially bad.

2019 NB Redeye

Open to opinions/suggestions.

Thanks.

225 60R18.jpg
Alumastar fronts.JPG

Last edited:

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Does anyone with the 18 x 6 Weld 2.0 Alumastars over a big Brembo stock setup use a wider front tire than the typical skinny? I am looking at the Goodyear or similar 225/60R18.

For limited street use, more rubber on the ground. Also, I have to drive 100 miles on the expressway to the track. Tire in consideration is 28.6" tall and will fit on a 6" wheel. (My rears are 29 tall 305 MT R's) Note the specs on the bottom of the photo.

I would like to see front/side view photos of the 225/60R18's on a Narrow Body car with Alumastars, if possible.

They weigh 25lb's same as the 28" tall MT S/R #6688 skinny. I will never exceed the V, 140 something speed rating for what I will do with them in the quarter mile.

Basically, will they work and look ok is my concern.

They have a hard compound I notice. Not sure if that is good, or potentially bad.

2019 NB Redeye

Thanks.

View attachment 8624
View attachment 8625
Just out of curiosity. Tire weighs 25lbs. What does the rim weigh?

OP
Indigo Joe

Indigo Joe

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
The sticks
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #3
Good question. I don't know. Was considering purchasing those and have not come across a weight.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet

Basically, will they work and look ok is my concern?

2019 NB Redeye

Thanks.

View attachment 8624
View attachment 8625

I have run that exact tire on my Demon on a 18X6 wheel. In fact it is the same weight as the Mickey Thompson Sportsman SR skinny (which is heavy for a Skinny). But the Goodyear will 100% drive better. I have driven BOTH setups because my Friend stretched the Sportsman Skinny on the very same rims and I drove his Demon to get rid of fuel so he could blend his octane up to 100 to run the 840 mode. He told me to drive it like I stold it. I like the Goodyears much better.

0418191402_Burst01.jpg IRWINDALE 4-4-2019.jpg

OP
Indigo Joe

Indigo Joe

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
The sticks
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #5
Dang thanks for that info. Don't make any special effort, or any effort at all if you don't feel like it, but if you happen to think about it at some point snap a photo from the front, maybe off to the side just a hair so I can get a better idea of how much the sidewall bulges out and I will try to picture it on a NB. And maybe a couple more but no big deal. Thanks again. EDIT and great photos BTW

Last edited:

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
OP
Indigo Joe

Indigo Joe

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
The sticks
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #7
Great photos and info. I appreciate you taking the time for this. I see these Goodyears have over a 500 treadwear rating if I remember right so they must be somewhat hard, but obviously you don't have any trouble stopping or anything else. I need to find the weight, and offset of the typical NB Alumistars and then do what you suggest, and that is picture them on an NB. One more question....Would your S-71 18 x 6 fit over the large 6 piston Brembos ? Seems to me they won't . Reason I ask is that I that have S71s 18 x 10 with black centers in the rear. Thanks

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Great photos and info. I appreciate you taking the time for this. I see these Goodyears have over a 500 treadwear rating if I remember right so they must be somewhat hard, but obviously you don't have any trouble stopping or anything else. I need to find the weight, and offset of the typical NB Alumistars and then do what you suggest, and that is picture them on an NB. One more question....Would your S-71 18 x 6 fit over the large 6 piston Brembos ? Seems to me they won't . Reason I ask is that I that have S71s 18 x 10 with black centers in the rear. Thanks
They will not fit a Hellcat. I have been 140 mph on them at the drag strip and they drive really well on the street. That is in fact my street setup. I sold my OEM Demon wheels and tires a while ago.

OP
Indigo Joe

Indigo Joe

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
The sticks
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #9
I found out that the Alumistars are 2.7" BS. Looking at your car, and taking into consideration that the Alumistars will be outward .4" more, plus considering that the sidewall will bulge about 1.5" on each size being they are advertised at having a 9" section width, I am really not sure how they would appear on a NB with the 225/60's. I need to see a NB with that setup which probably aint gonna happen.
So I have a question. Are your front brakes and rotors the same as the 08-14 SRT's ? My '09 stops fine from any speed, and the conversion is simple plus I already have a set of 4 piston calipers. Steve White sent me the entire changeover list and links to the parts. I could run 18" S71s all the way around and paint them black like yours. And use the 28.6" tall 225/60's up front on an 8" wheel. What do you think ? Oh get this, as a side note, my tire would always slip on the wheel somewhat and I see people using hi-tack and what not and they still slip. I just deal with it and beadlocks are not in the plan right now. So some old geezer told me to use molasses and swears by it....He said back in the day that was the answer. I thought to myself that was when top fuelers were running 10's lol But I might give it a try and if it screws up I won't tell anyone lol

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
If you do a brake conversion then at NHRA tracks you must run 11.50 or slower or get a Roll Bar. Most Tech Guys would not catch this. Take a chance?
I personally would not touch a brand new car's brake system. Just go to a matchig 20" front wheel and be done with it. If you are obsessed with weight reduction you have the wrong wheels already.

https://www.weldwheels.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Dodge-and-Chrysler-RT-S-Application-Guide.pdf

BTW the Demon caliper is bigger so anything that fits an 08-14 SRT will fit a Demon.

OP
Indigo Joe

Indigo Joe

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
The sticks
State
MI
Country
United States