Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Aftermarket parts - what works and what is a waste of cash?

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Looks just about optimal for a heavy car with poor weight distribution.
I forgot to ask, what are the temps across the tread?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #262
Reading your post I had a first thought of, "Why doesn't Dodge enable the chiller system to work in other than Track Mode?"

Followed by, "Probably because cooler SC and engine temperatures don't optimize combustion, or oil temperatures (or...something) when we don't have the right foot into it?"

You have made a believer out of me that Track Mode has to be selected for road course driving. Also somebody posted that chart about engine wear happening way faster at higher engine temperatures. I'm doing a day of HPDE July 17 at NCM and it will be the hottest day I've ever run the car hard.

Glad to hear the new stuff in the engine compartment is all good!
On the newer models it can be turned on in any mode. They need to upgrade our software to do that.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #263
I forgot to ask, what are the temps across the tread?
I don’t remember plus the temp begins to go down as soon as we come off. Every time I have checked recently the temps seem fairly constant across the tire. I do remember that part.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
I don’t remember plus the temp begins to go down as soon as we come off. Every time I have checked recently the temps seem fairly constant across the tire. I do remember that part.
Yeah, almost impossible to do it yourself. It needs another set of hands to try to get on it ASAP.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #265
Want to give an update on keeping my track camber and toe settings the same on the street. It works fine!!

In late June after being without the car since its’ interesting weekend at RA in May for about a month, I have been breaking in a new engine. I knew I would not be tracking it again until my new shoulder joint I received on August 5th heals so I can work on it and drive it appropriately again early in 2022 at best. So all the street stuff was installed, and I decided to drive it easy and enjoy it.

I mounted my street brakes up, put on the street wheels and tires. I wanted to try this experiment, so I did not change any of my alignment settings front or back. The front tires are near new 325/30 soft Cup 2’s, the rears continue to be PS4S 345/30’s in their third season.

I am pleased to report and confirm a couple of things for everyone. The rear settings that approximate the near straight toe and for me near zero rear camber not only feel great on a track, this thing hangs great on the street. Our drag racing friends know these settings work great, well so do I now. I cannot imagine getting better traction overall with the lack of any hop due to my other rear mods. Tire wear? Non-existent unless I purposely file them down with too much throttle at the wrong time.

The fronts are where I am more than pleased to share info. I like reading discussions about camber settings and tire wear. Some of us know camber don’t do the tire wear, it is the toe setting that makes a tire wear difference. I discovered and minimized or eliminated the old outside shoulder wear nemesis in May. A set of brand new Cup 2’s up front showed NO shoulder wear after some aggressive track sessions!! That was both at RA and Brainerd. Previously I could bust a noticeable outside shoulder off in one session. What did I do different? AFTER adjusting the AAD fronts to maximum negative camber, I carefully adjusted the front toe. Before adjusting it, we discovered the change in camber blew it way out. I mean way out! That is why last year after driving it about 60 miles down a Oklahoma interstate we were absolutely blown away that the outside shoulder of the previous new Cup 2’s had no shoulders remaining early on Saturday morning BEFORE it even saw the track. All we could do then was note it and scratch our heads. I have the camber at around -2 degrees on each side up front, the toe is nearly straight on to just a hint of toe-in. A couple of you have talked with me and I have shown some pictures previously here. These racing fronts show NO excessive outside shoulder wear.

Better yet almost. After nearly 2000 street miles my other set of new Cup 2’s up front show NO inside OR inside shoulder wear! It steers so perfect straight it is an absolute pleasure to drive.

With some moderation of temps and humidity and with the engine okay to play now, all I am going to say is the previous unit may have been dog shit! Can’t wait to get this thing up to BIR and get some sector and lap times, because I believe I may have something different here.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
Thanks for the update, DGatzby. Glad the new drivetrain components are feeling strong!

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #267
I hope I am not just imagining that this thing absolutely rips a lot better. I nailed it a couple times last night and was really impressed. The air is cooler, but I drove the last one in cool weather.

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #269

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yes sir,, got my 1st and last, so far, drive shaft up the ying yang by the only. Ex Mz Hickster. That drive shaft lasted a while being broke off in the keyster. Have not dun that again. Sumtin K Y can't help. That is not fer you kids in kentucky.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #271
My ‘15 Hellcat did a big 4” unit up before I got my foot to the floor.
That car still uses the prototype 2.5” diameter QA1 fiberglass driveshaft, and the owner loves it.

CB3C5509-66C1-4276-8904-4AEFE24FF213.jpeg

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Enough said.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My ‘15 Hellcat did a big 4” unit up before I got my foot to the floor.
That car still uses the prototype 2.5” diameter QA1 fiberglass driveshaft, and the owner loves it.

View attachment 52527

That's ugly...

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
That's awful. Glad to seaya up there Bull ster. Thought after today and the threats we had over younder,,, sum of us wood be hunkered down.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #275
Fuckin starting line, it either hooked and busted when something flexed, or it hopped once. Felt like it grabbed so I nailed it and it busted before my foot hit the floor. Wow, these things are torque monsters. So I will just apply the power a bit slower on the road courses.[bash]

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Fuckin starting line, it either hooked and busted when something flexed, or it hopped once. Felt like it grabbed so I nailed it and it busted before my foot hit the floor. Wow, these things are torque monsters. So I will just apply the power a bit slower on the road courses.[bash]
They send you a new one? Can't believe it snapped like that

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #277
They send you a new one? Can't believe it snapped like that
Nope, did not desire another one either.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Want to give an update on keeping my track camber and toe settings the same on the street. It works fine!!

In late June after being without the car since its’ interesting weekend at RA in May for about a month, I have been breaking in a new engine. I knew I would not be tracking it again until my new shoulder joint I received on August 5th heals so I can work on it and drive it appropriately again early in 2022 at best. So all the street stuff was installed, and I decided to drive it easy and enjoy it.

I mounted my street brakes up, put on the street wheels and tires. I wanted to try this experiment, so I did not change any of my alignment settings front or back. The front tires are near new 325/30 soft Cup 2’s, the rears continue to be PS4S 345/30’s in their third season.

I am pleased to report and confirm a couple of things for everyone. The rear settings that approximate the near straight toe and for me near zero rear camber not only feel great on a track, this thing hangs great on the street. Our drag racing friends know these settings work great, well so do I now. I cannot imagine getting better traction overall with the lack of any hop due to my other rear mods. Tire wear? Non-existent unless I purposely file them down with too much throttle at the wrong time.

The fronts are where I am more than pleased to share info. I like reading discussions about camber settings and tire wear. Some of us know camber don’t do the tire wear, it is the toe setting that makes a tire wear difference. I discovered and minimized or eliminated the old outside shoulder wear nemesis in May. A set of brand new Cup 2’s up front showed NO shoulder wear after some aggressive track sessions!! That was both at RA and Brainerd. Previously I could bust a noticeable outside shoulder off in one session. What did I do different? AFTER adjusting the AAD fronts to maximum negative camber, I carefully adjusted the front toe. Before adjusting it, we discovered the change in camber blew it way out. I mean way out! That is why last year after driving it about 60 miles down a Oklahoma interstate we were absolutely blown away that the outside shoulder of the previous new Cup 2’s had no shoulders remaining early on Saturday morning BEFORE it even saw the track. All we could do then was note it and scratch our heads. I have the camber at around -2 degrees on each side up front, the toe is nearly straight on to just a hint of toe-in. A couple of you have talked with me and I have shown some pictures previously here. These racing fronts show NO excessive outside shoulder wear.

Better yet almost. After nearly 2000 street miles my other set of new Cup 2’s up front show NO inside OR inside shoulder wear! It steers so perfect straight it is an absolute pleasure to drive.

With some moderation of temps and humidity and with the engine okay to play now, all I am going to say is the previous unit may have been dog shit! Can’t wait to get this thing up to BIR and get some sector and lap times, because I believe I may have something different here.
Excellent! Thanks for the update and info. Keep that notebook in a safe place.;)

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #279
Excellent! Thanks for the update and info. Keep that notebook in a safe place.;)
It is getting just a little bit of work done on it today at my favorite dealer. Instead of worrying about any techs joy riding in my rig, I actually encouraged them to take it out this afternoon and give me some feedback on what they think of the beast. The guy who did a world class engine replacement gets his reward this afternoon. Previously 2000 miles and about two months ago, the test drive was with a new engine block and supercharger, not broken in and with the little Pirelli tires. He has my full tilt street set of stuff on it today along with the dialed in alignment settings. I bet they love it. Plus the DA up here has gone well into most of our dreams for the rest of the season. The humidity finally got lost.

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye Widebody
Glad you are liking the feel of it better now! Hopefully it will be as good as it feels!