Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to SRT owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Aftermarket parts - what works and what is a waste of cash?

DGatzby

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I'll start, because currently I may have the largest stock of uninstalled parts in the US! Hope I have the "right" combo this time! First time on the '15 required much rework, and then in the end as most know, it still was not right.

Let's start with a front sway bar links discussion.

So one of the items I have is the big beautiful 38mm hollow front BMR sway bar to put in. Great, huh? Anyone want to tell me if those worthless stupid looking weak OE double jointed shit sway bar links will even not break or bend? I can't find squat for fixed sway bar links, except one company that wants nearly as much as the sway bar, and those are not in stock. I WILL NOT put a pair of adjustable links on the car. Been there, done that, I have them in the garage. They make the suspension sound like it is a popping-squeaking loose mess of shit is under the car. They still squeak and pop just handling them!

Anyone know of an aftermarket link that will work besides the SX product that is not in stock and that is not adjustable? Or give me a guess that I should hook up the OEM links that I swear looked defective to me since the first time I put my eyes on them?

And, hey, feel free to discuss and ask questions on this thread relative to all aftermarket suspension parts that make these tanks get over their weight handicap.

Stormtrooper1320

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Baltimore
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger 1320
I have used Hellwig sway bars on several of my vehicles either while upgrading, or installing due to lack of a factory swaybar. They have always fit, and are great quality. I had to use their customer service people one time and they came through with flying colors beyond what I expected. They sent me the wrong bar kits at first. I called to get the right ones, they shipped them out next day shipping, issued a pickup for the wrong ones, and refunded my entire purchase price. I got my swaybar kits for free. I told them that I wasn't looking for that, just get me the correct ones. They insisted that they wanted to make it right for my inconvenience, etc. I purchased 3 more swaybar kits from them after that wit no problem at all. I guess they got their money back out of me afterall :)

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
I have the Bwoody poly endlinks on mine. I've used them for a little over a year. I don't know if they made a substantial difference but they have held up and it stands to reason at least the bushing stiffness is a benefit. They are certainly beefier than stock.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Part of the problem is the amount of rate gained in the bar design (material, diameter, etc) is going to be lost in a sub-standard link through deflection. I've looked at the various aftermarket endlinks (even though my rule set limit me and I cannot use them) and there are some that are better than others. Obviously the NVH goes up with denser materials - but, as @DGatzby I have discussed there are just certain areas that you don't want to compromise. These are fun cars to race, not race cars.

Heims are pretty crap for NVH and longevity, even if they offer little deflection. Then there are roto joints and other options, and polyurethane is a pretty common solution too. Think outside the box to more extreme solutions: http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/off-road-builder-parts/creeper-johnny-flex-joints-xaxis.html

I'd say that the biggest issue facing these cars is the fact that they place the endlink balljoint in a cantilevered position at the point of highest load (the end of the bar). Consequently they tend to try to pull themselves apart. Moving the lower end of the link, at the bar, over the bar into double sheer and compression would potentially alleviate the failure point and better transfer the energy into the chassis/bar. Basically by building a clevis. I'd have to look at the upper mount to see if there was a way to improve that too.

This is all pretty acheiveable at home as the design of the endlinks is very basic... and most of the compromises designed into these are for ease of assembly at the plant/servicing at the dealership.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #5
Thanks @TrackDay I see those are cheaper to buy four than the competitor for just the front two and the competitor don't even have them in stock. I thought I looked at BWoody, but may have said no because they only sell all four. I don't need all four, but I may just have to add the short rear pair to my collection of spare parts in case I want to try it out with some appropriate size rears for the strip. I don't understand how a company don't have stock this time of year if you are in this business. I do have a pair of the helm joint equipped adjustable fronts, at worst I could bolt them on for going to the track. Maybe spray some silicone lube on them and it may be okay for a day or two.

I am struggling with actually allowing the big BMR toe rods I have bought installed because of that joint. Frank with them was telling me to keep them clean and sprayed, they have a bit of a hybrid of materials incorporated now. He recommended some boots to cover them. That was a joke! I received the recommend package of six little miniature rubber boots from Summit and there is no way those will begin to stretch around that item.