Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

180 tstat for the Hellcat

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
My last time to the track was Nov. When I left the house it was 26F out. I think I would have seen the light.

๐Ÿ˜†
In the dash, with a code for slow warm up.
26 degrees? Is that real temperature? ๐Ÿ˜‚

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
26 degrees? Is that real temperature? ๐Ÿ˜‚
LOL. It did warm up to almost 40F that day.๐Ÿคฃ

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Well, speaking of cooling and superchargers. Before taking it to the dealer this morning after their flat insistence last week, they look at my SC under warranty. It seems the apparent pulley failure is not that clear! While totally cold, and totally clean, upon flipping the car into Track Mode this morning. The fans kicked on complete with an antifreeze/water mist! We smelled antifreeze at the track, and blamed it on a faulty cap @ the supercharger res. Well, it was simply getting splashed under the hood with the belts! Now since we understand that, we can begin to think about slipping supercharger belts, hot pulley, release of the pulley grease cap and front of the pulley until finally it puked its grease and began complaining bad, by not allowing the spin of the sc. So now I am glad Dodge is taking a good look at it for me, to restore it. We shall soon know what cut loose up there. Hell, maybe the SC pulley cap spun off and clipped the radiator?? Who knows? Interesting findings to come, I am sure. Make them more complicated, and these things will present more and more interesting problems.
Pulley let go, that's a given. Grease cap or no it has gone to failure. But the anti- freeze thing would be more worrisome to me as it is the unknown right now or the catalyst. Post this back on your pulley failure thread when done. Very interesting and a bit concerning to this RE owner. Also, in TOTAL agreement with your statement about how the more they add to these things the more goes wrong.(on other thread). I've had some glitches and problems with the RE already. Almost sorry I got it. My '09 SRT8 with aftermarket blower and tune, never gave me a minutes problem. I could go on about it, but we're already off topic and stealing this thread.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
A couple of examples... IMG_1767.jpg IMG_1767.jpg IMG_1761 (1).jpg

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Okay, I'm too IT challenged to get this to post correctly!
But running hot at times that I am not running the car hard!

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Consider it done, it does project. Also what do you mean by check temps do you have type k or j thermocouples for surface contact measure or are you going to get variable feedback signal from temp sensor feedback to pcm From your meter.
I'm not sure what sort of pyrometer I have and I'm gonna be out of the area for a bit.
I was hoping to put the dot on the pulley and the tsat housing just for science sake!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
an exhaust system that works and want break the bank. Warranty supported. See what El Ri cola comes up wit. Or others. Good catch. Me, my self, and I have nothing.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Anyonbefore nighte have any tank out there?? Got till 3 am before slack time and sleepy time before cum upster wit sumtin,,, ot I will and want be perty. Tracck Thursday with Indian Rocks Queenster fer hot dogs and sodas and I don't drink sodas. Thanks. Bad beers.

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #69
Okay, I'm too IT challenged to get this to post correctly!
But running hot at times that I am not running the car hard!
Those do not look unusual at all for the stock tstat.

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
So I am a bit confused (yet again). I am onboard to do the 180 thermostat, but I thought it was decided on the old forum that the rings were designed to run at 203, and going colder would have a negative effect on them, as they would not expand as much, and could cause some cylinder washing?

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #71
So I am a bit confused (yet again). I am onboard to do the 180 thermostat, but I thought it was decided on the old forum that the rings were designed to run at 203, and going colder would have a negative effect on them, as they would not expand as much, and could cause some cylinder washing?
so you mean the piston rings? Wouldnโ€™t they be more tied to the oil temp? I do not really notice any difference in oil temp with the slightly lower coolant temps that the 180 Tatar gives me. Iโ€™m really just around 200 give or take most of the time now which is where the car seemed to run all winter - granted with almost no up and down swings unlike now where it moves around quite a bit between 190 and 210.

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Yea it was piston rings that the thread was about. Perhaps a lower coolant temp also equates to a lower oil temp? I know heat is the enemy of any engine short of a steam engine, so just want to be sure before I put my cat on a temperature diet.

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
Racing and normal driving are way different as is the effects on our motors. Most higher hp cars are running a 160 now which was unheard of before. Trade offs but nothing your ever gonna see or worry about. Mine runs 20 deg cooler which helps when hot lapping and end of run max temps. Last I checked I'm at 210 after the 1/4 mile line.

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #74
Yea it was piston rings that the thread was about. Perhaps a lower coolant temp also equates to a lower oil temp? I know heat is the enemy of any engine short of a steam engine, so just want to be sure before I put my cat on a temperature diet.
Well listen I dont want to pressure anyone into anything with their car, I started this discussion here really because I just wanted to make sure it was as easy to do as it is on a 392.

One thing to remember is I do swap the OEM 203 back in for the winter season. I dont hesitate to do it because it is so easy. We could do it one weekend morning when your car is cold from sitting overnight. Takes maybe 15 minutes. Almost zero mess on a good day :)

OP
EricG

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Thread Starter #75
Racing and normal driving are way different as is the effects on our motors. Most higher hp cars are running a 160 now which was unheard of before. Trade offs but nothing your ever gonna see or worry about. Mine runs 20 deg cooler which helps when hot lapping and end of run max temps. Last I checked I'm at 210 after the 1/4 mile line.
What if we race and normal drive almost every day? :). Just kidding, but you run a 180 too?

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
What if we race and normal drive almost every day? :). Just kidding, but you run a 180 too?
Yes!