Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Why are my tpms measuring this way?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
A dealer can't, and won't, touch it. It's a mandated pest.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
They are suppose to relearn every time you drive the car, otherwise when you rotated the tires or put new ones on they'd continually be jacked !
I believe the dealers have a tool that forces the BCM to refresh the link to each wheel with the L/R F/R display.
You can reinitialize the ABS module, with AlfaOBD. This will force a system relearn, of all the sensors.

Alfa also allows you to modify the pressure thresholds, so the alarm is either pushed above, or below OEM set point... to avoid Hal9000 nagging you.

Bob

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Researching turning TPMS off, with AlfaOBD... this is what I learned:

It can be done. No warning beeps, or lights, or messages.

Here is the routine:

VehConfig 3 Base TPM system present: NO

VehConfig 3 premium tpm system present: NO

VehConfig 5 non regulated tire pressure information system: NO

VehConfig 7 TPMS configuration: Logic 1 NHTSA Enable Warning

Reset the rf hub

Just in case you want to disable, for one reason, or another.

Hope this helps.

Bob

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
I m pretty sure the warning isn t activated until the tire goes below 22lbs ( unless its faulty )

I fill my back tires to 35 for a short ride to get rid of the warning,,,,
Then drop them back to 24 ish in the shade
The warning stays off until I get below 22 lbs which usually happens on the cool garage floor
My fronts are always 36-40 so no issues

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I put more air in mine and it seems to be fine now. Even with 28-30 initial pressure as usual, now it is back to normal.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
My Tazer turns this off no problem. Very useful for track days.
That's good to know! Thx!
I m pretty sure the warning isn t activated until the tire goes below 22lbs ( unless its faulty )

I fill my back tires to 35 for a short ride to get rid of the warning,,,,
Then drop them back to 24 ish in the shade
The warning stays off until I get below 22 lbs which usually happens on the cool garage floor
My fronts are always 36-40 so no issues
Then all of my sensors are faulty. Mine will alarm the second it sees 27 PSI or less on a cold garage floor. Then go for a short ride and they'll go up to 30 PSI when the tires warm -which is in normal range, but alarm won't reset unless I fill them up past 32 PSI (34) and drive it. It seems like the factory settings for this are set for an alarm range that's too narrow.

-Isn't 36-40 PSI on the front tires a bit too high? If you overinflate too much the tires will wear in the center??.....

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
That's good to know! Thx!

Then all of my sensors are faulty. Mine will alarm the second it sees 27 PSI or less on a cold garage floor. Then go for a short ride and they'll go up to 30 PSI when the tires warm -which is in normal range, but alarm won't reset unless I fill them up past 32 PSI (34) and drive it. It seems like the factory settings for this are set for an alarm range that's too narrow.

-Isn't 36-40 PSI on the front tires a bit too high? If you overinflate too much the tires will wear in the center??.....
27 seems pretty high
I believe the factory setting is 25% lower then the required inflated pressure
So I guess that s pretty close but still seems like a small range to work with

Yes if I drove the car regularly they may wear in the center a bit
Sitting in the garage they hang around 36
Out tooling around they go to 40 pretty quick but for the amount I drive I prefer them a bit higher up front
That fat car will flatten them out at 40 no problem LOL

The TPMS are very sensitive
I ve read metal caps can cause issues over time. Not to sure if anyone has experienced this ?

Stay away from the tire sealer also

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
All ours trip an alarm when the pressure is below 27 PSI.
Also you cannot trust the autolearn system to show the tires in the correct positions. Newer vehicles I'm told have a receiver in each wheel well and should work better but ours just have 1 receiver in the RR wheel well and seldom show the correct tire positions.

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
I have turned mine down as far as I can, now it will hold at 26 psi, going lower will trigger the nanny...during the summer when racing I turn the monitor to just a TIPS instead. All done with Alfa OBD.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I would say bad sensors. I'm assuming this is a multiple swap, long time thing and not something that just suddenly happened on the last start up.

Mine have been right on (within 1 lbs of my electronic and old mechanical made in the USA gauge) through multiple sets of tires. I actually drive with the air pressure displayed (call me OCD - fun to watch it change based on conditions - if I could auto log it, I would - data is data and can always tell you something). Sometimes after swaps they've taken more or less time to resync with the car, but never more than a day.

I don't think they're that expensive; considered swapping them? Like $35 bucks or so, I think.

PS - if you move the "bad" TMPS from one position to another does the bad reading follow?

OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #32
I have not tried swapping them around. Soon however my summer wheels and tires will be coming off and my original slingshots and AS Pirellis will be going on for the winter slumber.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
My rear right wheel, after I got the car out of the garage two weeks after driving it home from an HPDE one day event, now shows 21 psi. The actual pressure is 33 psi. Drove it like this for two half hour drives on the same day. The alarm triggered the satellite system the dealerships use to send emails alerting owners something is amiss.

These TPMS modules came in a box from Truimphforged.com with my custom wheels last December, but were installed along with new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires by my local Tire Discounters this past April. Worked great for about 2,000 miles. 5 days of HPDE, the rest mostly easy freeway driving.

I'm going to deflate, then reinflate the tire on the car (after jacking the frame to support the car), then drive it and see if that resets the TPMS system. This is a brilliant troubleshooting idea I just thought up *grin*. If it doesn't fix it then off to Tire Discounters.

Judging by the posts in this thread these devices can be troublesome. For car owners who never think to look at their tires, or put a gauge on them, TPMS sensing probably saves mishaps from occurring. Certainly the logic behind mandating them.

Unless the car owner sees the alarm caution light and blows it off and just keeps on driving without ever investigating. Nah...nobody would do that...

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I dont care about that, I run them purposely that low. Its the position I questioned.
Mine were reading criss crossed like that at one point but then after a while they were correct. I just chocked it up to swapping out from street & drag wheels & it gets confused to what it's reading.
Best I got.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just saw
My rear right wheel, after I got the car out of the garage two weeks after driving it home from an HPDE one day event, now shows 21 psi. The actual pressure is 33 psi. Drove it like this for two half hour drives on the same day. The alarm triggered the satellite system the dealerships use to send emails alerting owners something is amiss.

These TPMS modules came in a box from Truimphforged.com with my custom wheels last December, but were installed along with new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires by my local Tire Discounters this past April. Worked great for about 2,000 miles. 5 days of HPDE, the rest mostly easy freeway driving.

I'm going to deflate, then reinflate the tire on the car (after jacking the frame to support the car), then drive it and see if that resets the TPMS system. This is a brilliant troubleshooting idea I just thought up *grin*. If it doesn't fix it then off to Tire Discounters.

Judging by the posts in this thread these devices can be troublesome. For car owners who never think to look at their tires, or put a gauge on them, TPMS sensing probably saves mishaps from occurring. Certainly the logic behind mandating them.

Unless the car owner sees the alarm caution light and blows it off and just keeps on driving without ever investigating. Nah...nobody would do that...
Just saw on another challenger forum some posts that recommende inflating the tire to 35 psi and driving it to reset the system. Okay, off to try it.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
These TPMS modules came in a box from Truimphforged.com with my custom wheels last December...
Were they OE sensors, aftermarket, or cheap aftermarket?

I've never had issues (yet) with the first two kinds, but have never tried cheap ones. Even though I have the tire changing equipment a good balancer, it's just not worth chancing it, I think.

PS. Now that I've played around more with AlfaOBD, I'd suggest switching to TPIS instead of getting rid of TPMS altogether.
There will be no nagging or warning lights, but the pressures can still be checked on the EVIC.

Last edited:
OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #37
Just saw

Just saw on another challenger forum some posts that recommende inflating the tire to 35 psi and driving it to reset the system. Okay, off to try it.
Pls advise if that works as ive been living with mine crossed all season. I use a gauge anyway but it would be nice if they worked.

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Never had a problem (except with the freaking lag time) on stock TPMS (takes a hundred yards or so at least on mine for it to update). Never had much problem with high quality after market either. One took an hour or so to sync up with the system initially, and that was about it. I've heard lots of horror stories from el cheapos. I'd drive it a few more times see if anything changes, then have them check it.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Have to put off troubleshooting my rear right TPMS for a couple of days. Hopefully by Wednesday I'll get to driving on the deflated/reinflated tire to see if it resets itself.

The TPMS sensors provided to me by Biz at Triumpforged.com are ITM brand. ITM is a major brand, and I think a quality one.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
After having issues with non dodge TPMS’s before I buy nothing but OEM ones any more. Rock Auto pretty cheap and they usually have oem ones.