Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Which Battery Impact Wrench

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
For use in wheel removal, are the high torque impacts required, or will mid torque 1/2 inch or even 3/8 inch suffice? I'm not going to be working on bridges or anything like that. I have a Ryobi that would not remove lug nuts on my Challenger HC. They were put on by Discount tire, and I assume they were torqued to a proper 110 ftlbs. I understand that my be a bad assumption.

It's a horrible assumption. Very few people, INCLUDING "Pros", know how to properly torque lug nuts. And while they use "industry accepted" tools, they use those god-damn "torque limiting extension bars"...

Pisses me off every time I see them. On the rare occasion I've been subjected to them, I go home, break all of the lug nuts free and re-torque them with a proper torque wrench and in the proper fashion.

Grrrrr.....

greasy

Member ID
Reactions
City
HOFFMAN ESTATES
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I personally don't like using the impact on wheels for the Hellcat too much potential for messing up the wheels no matter how careful you are. I have a small 3/8" DEWALT unit that I use solely for spinning the lugs on until they seat (no actual impact action happening), from there hand tightening with a 1/2 ratchet, and then lower the car for proper torqueing.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
I personally don't like using the impact on wheels for the Hellcat too much potential for messing up the wheels no matter how careful you are.

I also use this socket.

greasy

Member ID
Reactions
City
HOFFMAN ESTATES
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I personally don't like using the impact on wheels for the Hellcat too much potential for messing up the wheels no matter how careful you are.

I also use this socket.
Those for sure help. With my new set of spline lugs I have for the car I couldn't find a wheel protector socket with the nylon sleeve for the spline socket. I also don't like that the spline socket doesn't directly connect to the ratchet or toque wrench (it is a simple hex backing that slides into a socket) so I welded it to the appropriate size spare deep well I had laying around. Last thing I need is for it to separate when I am pulling the sockets back from the wheel and smack into it. For added protection I used some 1.5" heat shrink tube to create a protective coating.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I just wrap my 22mm socket in electrical tape. Works for me...

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
I went with the 20V Dewalt

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I searched for awhile for what I was looking for. I didn't want one that was bulky and heavy but it needed to have enough torque. I bought the Milwaukee M12. It has 250 lbs of torque with 3 settings. Most of the impacts come in 1/4" or 1/2" and I also wanted one in 3/8" being that is what I use the most. It will break the lugs loose but for the most part I break them loose and use it to get them off faster. I bought it just for swapping wheels to go to the drag strip. Makes changes them out way faster then using a 4 way
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2554-22

SDREDEYE

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Octane Red HC WB Redeye
+1 for the Dewalt and definitely need to wrap those sockets. Even masking tape is decent in a pinch.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It seems like most people I know, or of, start out with something, then end up with a Milwaukee.

If so, I highly recommend the M18 Fuel, with its four torque settings.
Although, final torque is obviously done with a torque wrench.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
Although, final torque is obviously done with a torque wrench.

Thanks, I meant to also say that.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Just so that nobody thinks that I completely partial to Milwaukee, I do have DeWalt power tool that works well.
Once I modified it. DSCN3709[1].JPG

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I’m an old air tool guy but I was pretty heavily invested in Dewalt for my household, other than automotive tools, so staying with them because of battery compatibility was a no brainer. I bought a few 18v/20v adaptors and run my old 18v tools with the newer batteries. Seriously woke them up!

greasy

Member ID
Reactions
City
HOFFMAN ESTATES
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
A little more education I'll offer here........Milwaukee does make some solid products, no denying that, but at the end of the day they are a Chinese owned company. While Milwaukee has a corporate office located here in the states in Brookfield, Wisconsin the mothership Techtronic Industries (TTi) is based out of Hong Kong.

Stanley Black & Decker/DEWALT is an American company based right here in Maryland and we are the only power tool company that can say that. While all companies operate and manufacture products globally, we make more products here in the US then all of our competitors combined. Just some food for thought!

Last edited:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Not to stray too far from the subject, but our Mexico and Brampton made FCA vehicles are noticeably better put together than are the US made ones.
And it kinda hurts to say that.

greasy

Member ID
Reactions
City
HOFFMAN ESTATES
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Not to stray too far from the subject, but our Mexico and Brampton made FCA vehicles are noticeably better put together than are the US made ones.
And it kinda hurts to say that.
I get what you are saying, but I’m going beyond just where the product is made....I’m talking who OWNS the company. Don’t get me started on fit/finish.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I've got several and this one has quickly become my favorite for size and versatility.

https://amzn.to/3aDtCgS

greasy

Member ID
Reactions
City
HOFFMAN ESTATES
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle