Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What's going on with Car #7 (a semi-objective analysis)...

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My guess is it has an electric blower. I don't think Dragrcr is a fan of that tech.
it will not have an electric blower:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Way cheaper to go to car number 8 which is what I will call mine:)

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Thread Starter #163

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
A 3.0 blower which is what they have been testing with could result in a 1.29 60 ft pulleyed right. Jon has had a 1.24 leaving in 2nd gear with a 2.7 blower

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
That's sorta what I've been thinking. Dodge has a history of copying what us "enthusiasts" do. I heard rumors the SRT engineers came to ChallengerFest one year and took notes on what people were doing with their cars, then a couple years later we had the Hellcat. I figure if we have cars already running extremely fast with relatively little modification, why can't they make something REALLY good with all their resources?

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I heard some really distressing news about this car today. I hope it is not true. Not cancelled, but.............
Its a big reason I haven't put a deposit down on a HC but i'm about ready to just put it down and say F the 7th car.
If I wait for that one, I may not get anything else.

I'm pretty confident I can go faster than the E85 car for cheaper than said car. Only thing I will miss is the inflated value that car will always carry with it. Meh, thats my kid's problem

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #167
Its a big reason I haven't put a deposit down on a HC but i'm about ready to just put it down and say F the 7th car.
If I wait for that one, I may not get anything else.

I'm pretty confident I can go faster than the E85 car for cheaper than said car. Only thing I will miss is the inflated value that car will always carry with it. Meh, thats my kid's problem
Not sure how it helps anyone by saying the news is distressing without saying what the distressing news is.

Guess we will just have to wait for RacerX to tell us in a few days, lol.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Y'all enjoy driving a knife straight into my heart, don't you?

: (

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Will be too expensive and too little produced for me to care about it. It's a rich man's toy, even if it ever sees the light of day

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Y'all enjoy driving a knife straight into my heart, don't you?

: (
They just want to see you in shorts

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #171

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
OK, my hopes are still alive. I am now ready to talk. First rumor I did not know the source, so I was unwilling to give details. Also to all those inclined, keep the bashing to a minimum if not at all please.

I had heard that the car was going to be a non VIN, not street legal car. Like a more production assembly line based drag pack. I heard it was because of Californias CARB not approving the car. Now I think that was ASSUMED. I also think the correct info was misunderstood. Or maybe all that was true and they overcame it all. Who knows........

What I heard today is that the car is on track to be built. period. BUT, they were going to offer a RACE version of the car to those that are interested. It's stupid, but now that is is being offered I might consider it. After all I rarely drive my Demon on the street. I do, but not much.

Things to discuss: The race version is maybe lighter with this Sparco drivers seat and a roll cage? The street version takes full agvantage, with a little cushion, of the current NHRA rule? But no roll cage or race seat etc? Maybe 8.60-8.70's in negative DA? Race version even lower......,

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Wonder why they just wouldn't offer it for sale in CA if CARB is a problem?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Dowagiac
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 HC- 21-TRX
Seems to me they should just use that 900hp Hellephant motor and call it a day.. deliver the product and keep the customer happy.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Honestly, I think a lot of that first rumor was assumed. I certainly would offer a 49-state car if I was Dodge. So the rumor that the whole run was going to be a NON VIN car was likely based on a misconception or assumption.

If they were having problems with California, I would think they were heading towards selling a 49 state car. But also laying the groundwork for a non VIN car. Maybe they are still being denied approval by California and you will have the option of buying a non VIN race track only version in that state.....Maybe they are already approved in California and it will not be an issue.

I would very much prefer a Demon like Car fully street legal to take advantage of the current rule with a little buffer for the summer months.

I really like the Narrow body front on the wide body rear car and I really like the carbon fiber wheels etc. If that stuff comes in a Crate, even better. It would be so bitchen if the car was delivered to the showroom with the Carbon Fiber 17X10 and 18X5 wheels and a set of MT ET Streets on it. I will cream my panties if that happens. Duplicate the Demon Warranty and I am set (if I am able to get one).

I have a friend that actively searches out this info and he contacts a lot of people to find out stuff. But I am content to just wait for the reveal so I know for sure what we are getting. And more importantly how they will be sold. Tim said if they work through the engine durability problem they likely will show photos of the car before the end of the year. So, if they release those Photos we can all breath a sigh of relief.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Carbon fiber wheels will help with rotating mass for sure, but there's a compromise (always is I guess). Historically they've not been very durable and are super expensive to replace. My buddy had them on some fancy GT500 he ordered and nearly everyone immediately removed them and boxed them away and bought regular wheels. One chip and the wheels were reportedly toast and something like $6,000 - $7,000 per wheel. Ouch.

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #177
Thanks for the update @DRAGRCR.

That said, lots to unpack with your two posts. I realize you might not be able to answer everything below, but I'm asking anyway. ;)

So the car is being built. (*sigh of relief*)

When you say "new NHRA rule" are you saying the street version could be run at NHRA events with no mods so long as it runs 9.0 or slower? If so your 8.6-8.7s comment confused me.

The (lucky) buyer will have the option to get a street-legal OR a non-street-legal version (their choice)?

Where are you getting that it might be a narrow-body/wide-body combo car with MTs? Is this your wish list or part of the rumor being circulated? I assume whatever configuration they come with will NOT be adjustable at all (just like the Last Call 1-6 cars).

Finally, do you have any clarification from your source regarding if this car will only be available to (original? current?) Demon owners? Or will dealerships get Last Call Car #7 just like they got Last Call Cars 1-6? If the latter LOOK OUT as far as MOONSHOT ADM goes...

Did you get a sense of how many unit-builds might be possible?

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I am do disgusted at the entire EV thing that I would rather see a 12hp Briggs&Stratton on the SC!
Would need to be an 80hp Briggs to turn the blower if I recall correctly. Now a nitrous fed Briggs running the blower, hmmm?

OP
Illegal_Demon

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #179
As for the 49 state/ignore CA plan mentioned above, my insider contact says that while technically possible that wouldn't have been a logistically viable option. To quote him, going that route (i.e. knowingly bypassing CARB) would have set off "way too many political/climate fires for Stellantis to put out, especially for a very limited run like this."

He thinks whatever the final config is, it's going to have to pass CARB.

Now that's not to say a no-vin race version can't also be offered (ala DragPak), or, like @DRAGRCR suggested, maybe the race option was just part of the preliminary problem-solving discussions they had internally (but is now moot).

I guess we just have to wait a little longer to see what actually goes down.

All of this takes me back to 2017 with the endless Demon speculation and hype. Pretty cool imo, even though the suspense is killing (some of) us!

Last edited:

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Looking at the '22 builds
California has a 200 or so car lead over any other state when it comes to Hellcat sales.

I'd love it if they say the CARB states cannot buy this car and sell it anyway as it meets federal emissions.

They are doing a good enough job pissing people off, why not take it a step further?