Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What was your "drivers ed" car?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Lucky for me, we had none of that in Colorado. Gave you a permit, test then driving test. My cousins in Michigan had to do it though

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
In Chatta. the Dodge Corp sponsored the ed classes so it would have been an early 70's modle sumtin. But it was always a 2 to 3 year old nice clean car. Then with low mileage they would sell as a trade in. The cars were all ways nicer than the gals I dated. Kinda like now except no gals, just a cat.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I did Drivers Ed in '70 2dr Impalas. They had the 307 & 2 speed auto. Actually trashed the tranny on 1. Some girl backed into another car & the instructor left the course to go file a report with the other 2.
Some of us were at the back of the course (a small straight) 'practicing our neutral slams when BAM, she gave up the ghost & was barely moving.
Drove it back to the parking lot, got into another one, and went back to the course before the instructor came back. No one ratted me out & I never got in trouble for it :whistle::censored:

Passed my road course in the Wagon Queen Family Truckster ('68 AMC Ambassador DPL wagon) or as we fondly came to call it years later when the grey paint began to fade & peel off - the Leprosy Wagon :oops:
It was the perfect date car - front seat backs (split bench) folded flat, AMC power steering was so lite you could drive with 1 finger, and being an innocuous grey it never got any attention from LE.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Now days to go to the Fla Dept Vehicle and attempt to obtain your license back, no great fun or ease to obtain. Had to go thru it 3 times in 1 month. Only attempt to take the test and then out you go for 6 months. I failed the first 2 times in 2 weeks. 1 moe chance but they had the hand stacked against me. I was a smart ass and failed before we even got started. Imagine that?? Laurie's boss, yo boss, chit lens turning 16 got the same treatment,, same thing. But jump thru there asses. I hope I don't loe em again for this last bumper failure. But with the state of FL you are screwed before starting with the tests. Please park between the two cones, which ones, the ones that are 1/2 the size of your car. If I had been the jokerer's they said I wasn't,,, I wood have driven the H/C instead of the massive 1.8 liter triple turbo, double blower, quad OVC, 4 door Nissan. They have you set up fer diaster. $$$$$$ all about.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
For those that took the class in high school. I passed a HS in Tampa and they had current gen Durangos. Strip'd down base models sure, but still.

Fall of 85', my HS drivers ed car was a late model Ford Fairmont. 82 or 83 I'm guessing.

View attachment 16121
Similar.
But mine was a 74 or 75.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Mr Ed ???

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
'73 Roadrunner

Pic is example from web

Attachments

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Parents saw how I was on mini bikes, go carts, bicycles, dirt bikes & said no way a license for you before 18 unless you take drivers ed, looking back it wasn’t ability, it was more self control at the helm. Anyway divers Ed car was early to mid 70s 4 door dart, swinger, valiant? They all basically looked the same can’t remember exact model. Driving school is now defunct, how could it not eventually fail with a 3 letter name such as “AAA driving school“ serious. Took my drivers license test in family car,
1970 chevy Kingswood station Wagon. Aka “green Ghost”
40 years later older with more self control especially when driving RE.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
'73 Roadrunner

Pic is example from web
Wow, badge of honor drivers license test in that one. Nooooo problem !

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
I have no clue. Can't even remember what I did yesterday.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Would have been some early 70's four door in class. Did most of my early driving in a '67 Impala 4dr 327 4 bbl, and a '72 Charger 318ci.

Do they still do Drivers Ed in schools? Never would think so as bad as these idiots are driving now.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Would have been some early 70's four door in class. Did most of my early driving in a '67 Impala 4dr 327 4 bbl, and a '72 Charger 318ci.

Do they still do Drivers Ed in schools? Never would think so as bad as these idiots are driving now.
I still see a fair amount in N.E.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Pottstown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2013 Dodge Challenger
We had the tractor trailer simulators that were actually '70 Plymouth dashboards complete with a woodgrain steering wheel $$.

The actual road test vehicle was a K car, circa 1981.

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
1982 Nissan Sentra. My Dad made me take driver's ed because it lowered his insurance rates when I drove his vehicles.....which at the time was a 76 Comet 4dr and a 81 GM raised roof van. Got my 340 Duster in 83....

Member ID
Reactions
City
Macedon
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I was riding solo since the age of 12 on motorcycles. Most of the time, off road, but frequently enough, on the road with what was considered the Redeye equivalent of motorcycles of the era: a 1974 Kawasaki 750 two stroke triple. That bike was supposed to do a 12.0 quarter mile. Believe me, I used to run that thing all over the place with no regard for staying alive. The way I rode it, I didn’t need a throttle grip, I needed an on-off switch. The bike was either wide open, or I was on the brakes hard. I was so stupid, I thought I was invincible. At the height of my limited, teenage intelligence, I rode past a Sherrif’s station and pulled a wheelie, but much to my dismay, no Deputies were in the parking lot to witness my demonstration of how to be stupid. No problem, I went up the road a ways, turned around and came back. This time there was a Deputy in the parking lot and true to my desire, I showed him a wheelie, followed by an exhibition of speed as I disappeared. I then pulled up to the next stop sign a half mile or so down the road, stopped and waited for cross-traffic to clear, then it was time to hammer it. Funny thing, there was a Sherrif’s car approaching from the opposite direction. Again, no problem at all, I continued to pound on that bike like it was a rusty nail, until the Sheriff’s car and I passed. Then I pulled over, shut the bike off and waited for him to turn around and pull up behind me. As the Deputy approached me on the bike, I stated, “Ya know, I don’t think you can give me a ticket.” He actually laughed and said, “I can’t wait to hear why!” I replied, “Cause I don’t have a license.”
Needless to say, my knowledge of the Vehicle and Traffic Laws turned out to be slightly less than accurate and the outcome of all this was slightly different than I anticipated. One of the charges was 104 in a 35. Of course there was that pesky “no license” thing. As a teenager, my brain must have stolen while I was sleeping and replaced with a turnip.
Anyway, I took my drivers road test in a 71 Pontiac Lemans. Passed the first try. Drivers Ed? I don’t need no stinkin’ Drivers Ed!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I did Drivers Ed in '70 2dr Impalas. They had the 307 & 2 speed auto. Actually trashed the tranny on 1. Some girl backed into another car & the instructor left the course to go file a report with the other 2.
Some of us were at the back of the course (a small straight) 'practicing our neutral slams when BAM, she gave up the ghost & was barely moving.
Drove it back to the parking lot, got into another one, and went back to the course before the instructor came back. No one ratted me out & I never got in trouble for it :whistle::censored:

Passed my road course in the Wagon Queen Family Truckster ('68 AMC Ambassador DPL wagon) or as we fondly came to call it years later when the grey paint began to fade & peel off - the Leprosy Wagon :oops:
It was the perfect date car - front seat backs (split bench) folded flat, AMC power steering was so lite you could drive with 1 finger, and being an innocuous grey it never got any attention from LE.
I'm calling the school right now! With interest you should owe at least a couple of grand!

Actually the first car I ever drove was my dad's 1973 Ford Country Squire station wagon (the kind with the plastic wood stickers over the gold brown paint. This SOB had a 429 Police Interceptor in it and, although it was made of solid lead, was damn fast. My dad wasted this hotrod Trans Am in it from light to light down by the court house. lol

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I have no clue. Can't even remember what I did yesterday.
No wonder....
Already enjoying your first beer.
Not judging.:ROFLMAO::LOL:

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
No wonder....
Already enjoying your first beer.
Not judging.:ROFLMAO::LOL:
It's 8:30... moved on to some whiskey neat. [cheers]

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
1985 MERKUR XR4TI Good thing aunt was in charge it didn’t pass the safety check. :ROFLMAO:

Bboyd

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Monongahla
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Hellcat
anyone want to be truthful???? horse pulled carriage with stone wheels??? LMAO:p