Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

V86 Emissions Recall

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
I’m gonna recall the cats myself with offroads pipes.
That shit is messed up. Sorry guys

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
This is what it sounds like normally?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I dont know what it is but I’m not happy, its getting worse.

My malfunctioning Honda pressure sprayer motor sounds like that when I shut it off recently. It also has developed a mysterious mind of its own and just shuts down randomly. Damn that just don’t sound like something is shutting down correct. @DodgeCares I have called you out twice in two days now in two important threads where we expose problems with these products. You still a member here, can you is help us??

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
My malfunctioning Honda pressure sprayer motor sounds like that when I shut it off recently. It also has developed a mysterious mind of its own and just shuts down randomly. Damn that just don’t sound like something is shutting down correct. @DodgeCares I have called you out twice in two days now in two important threads where we expose problems with these products. You still a member here, can you is help us??
They offered to get the parts for some one. But when it's a real problem....CRICKETS What other thread?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Took it for a quick spin this morning to get coffee (God bless you Dunkin, anyone disagree lets race!). Did the same thing on shut off. :( My friend who is the tech who did the emissions repair and the drive shaft will probably reach out to your guy today. I trust him, he knows his shit, he has a borg worner powered Challenger Scat Pack that is a bad mother fucker and will blow the door off 99.99% of the cars here. He doesn't think the PCM is fried because if it was a bad tune, the car would not make 10 PSI and the engine would be doing all sorts of check engine light shows by now. He wants to isolate the noise, we are going to take the belt off the S/C and if the car makes the same noise without the S/C spinning we know it might be an even bigger issue. If the noise only occurs with the S/C belt spinning I am going to start small and replace the pulley as the clutch might not be disengaging as desired when the car turns off. This could be putting really bad pressure on the jackshaft that spins the twin screws.

The reason he doesn't think the PCM is bad is because he did a few other cars for this recall and they did not experience the same. I can't explain why @Trucker Bob and I are having the same problem right after the emissions recall. We both have 2015's and that seems to be the connection between our cars. We are going to do a read of the PCM to make sure it is good and rule that out.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
They offered to get the parts for some one. But when it's a real problem....CRICKETS What other thread?
On @DRAGRCR ’s thread about the 1-2 and maybe 2-3 shift problem our drag racing brothers have found and are experiencing.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
So I did some detective work today. The game plan.

1. Remove serpentine belt
2. Remove supercharger belt
3. Replace serpentine belt
4. Start engine
5. Monitor on start and stop, check for same noise.
6. Remove serpentine belt
7. Replace supercharger belt
8. Replace serpentine belt
9 Monitor on start and stop, check for same noise.

1,2,3,5,6,7,8 sucked. Our engine bay has minimal room for big forearms, bought me a nice tool though. I was able to get away with using a breaker bar and a socket for tensions but not with this car. 20 Bucks later got me a nice tool from Hazard Fart (harbor freight).

The car running without serpentine belt exhibited no strage sounds on shut off. However you will notice that the pulley spins, it shouldn't spin when the clutch is not engaged. On the last check with the belt off the pulley does not spin. The car when started for the first time with the belt and stopping doesn't make the sound but after subsequent stops it makes that sound. Leads me to believe the PCM is fine and the clutch is bad.

I had a fun day of wrenching on the car. Serpentine belts suck and the proper tool will save you a lot of time. I may get a new pulley and start from there. Also awaiting feedback from my friend who is the Tech down at the dealership and see what he says. But it is isolated to the supercharger, that much can be confirmed.

Member ID
Reactions
City
O Fallon
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Hi all
Unfortunately had the recall, and flash done yesterday...pick the car up drove it home and noticed the same belching noise. Noise was sooo bad it rattled the air box. Brought it back to the dealer who contacted Chrysler. They think the T B butterfly may not be closing at shutdown....which goes against things written on this post. I trust the SRT Service Tech and his approach thus far. Will keep you all posted
BTW car is completely stock

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
Either throttle body or the bypass valve. Start it with the intake off and watch the throttle body, see it if cycles.

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #70
So I did some detective work today. The game plan.

1. Remove serpentine belt
2. Remove supercharger belt
3. Replace serpentine belt
4. Start engine
5. Monitor on start and stop, check for same noise.
6. Remove serpentine belt
7. Replace supercharger belt
8. Replace serpentine belt
9 Monitor on start and stop, check for same noise.

1,2,3,5,6,7,8 sucked. Our engine bay has minimal room for big forearms, bought me a nice tool though. I was able to get away with using a breaker bar and a socket for tensions but not with this car. 20 Bucks later got me a nice tool from Hazard Fart (harbor freight).

The car running without serpentine belt exhibited no strage sounds on shut off. However you will notice that the pulley spins, it shouldn't spin when the clutch is not engaged. On the last check with the belt off the pulley does not spin. The car when started for the first time with the belt and stopping doesn't make the sound but after subsequent stops it makes that sound. Leads me to believe the PCM is fine and the clutch is bad.

I had a fun day of wrenching on the car. Serpentine belts suck and the proper tool will save you a lot of time. I may get a new pulley and start from there. Also awaiting feedback from my friend who is the Tech down at the dealership and see what he says. But it is isolated to the supercharger, that much can be confirmed.
What is the clicking/chucking sound from
The SC at shutdown.

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
It can't be a bad clutch don't waste your time and money. We all can't have had our clutches take a $hit at the same time. I'm not going to buy this is the new normal Bull $hit as well. Otherwise when I dropped the car off they would have said "After the recall your car is going to make this Pucked up sound when you shut it down that's because of BLA, BLA BLA.....
The only ones I've heard of whos cars are still normal sounding didn't have the flash because of being tuned.

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #72
It can't be a bad clutch don't waste your time and money. We all can't have had our clutches take a $hit at the same time. I'm not going to buy this is the new normal Bull $hit as well. Otherwise when I dropped the car off they would have said "After the recall your car is going to make this Pucked up sound when you shut it down that's because of BLA, BLA BLA.....
The only ones I've heard of whos cars are still normal sounding didn't have the flash because of being tuned.
Talked to my tech today and a number of STAR reports have been sent to FCA about the software update.

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
Talked to my tech today and a number of STAR reports have been sent to FCA about the software update.
I heard they got there Top people working on it. My boss said 'I think they got hacked and their down load got polluted I think FCA would have checked the download before they Phucked up your car" You would think they would've tested it on one of their cars not our cars. I don't blame my dealer at all. I blame the ( what we called the people that designed cars and didn't repair them when I was a mechanic and came up with unreal book times) educated idiots or the security for their computin system.

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
Either throttle body or the bypass valve. Start it with the intake off and watch the throttle body, see it if cycles.
When they pulled my air box the throttle body valve would flutter when you shut the car down. I was told there's a video on FBook. I don't use FB they're evil.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
I don’t disagree with anything that we are finding on here I am going to the dealership on Monday and my tech 100% agrees to file a star report.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
01D5D468-3D45-414E-8DE2-315CE6EE4116.jpeg

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
That's why FMC might Phuck up my vacation to see my 1st grand baby. Taking a whole week to Cruise 66 to LA to see Her. I guess I'll take Ma's R/T or Vinny (15 diesel Passat 40 mpg at 100mph ) to CA if FCA can't figure it out. I'll Keep the faith In Mother Mopar. Rah Team Earn Those Big Bucks and fix this please.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
On this episode of Ant's Garage, we troubleshoot V86 emissions snafu and see what the hell is really going on. So while the car is down, got it up on some jack stands, replaced the four bolt for the underside plastics, some plastic inserts, etc. Did a thorough inspection. Found my Ambient Air Temperature sensor just dangling at the bottom of the car. Fixed that:

IMG_5337.JPG

Then I moved onto the subject at hand:
So I have two videos, first startup and then a startup a minute later. As you can see there is some blow by past the throttle body when the car turns off. That whoosh sound echoes inside of the intake and the elbow and that's what makes the noise I believe (just a hypothesis, no way to test it for reals).

I hear a distinct whoosh of air hit that throttle body and it is not happy. Thoughts, comments, ideas? I'm still going back on Monday and getting a STAR report filed.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
On this episode of Ant's Garage, we troubleshoot V86 emissions snafu and see what the hell is really going on. So while the car is down, got it up on some jack stands, replaced the four bolt for the underside plastics, some plastic inserts, etc. Did a thorough inspection. Found my Ambient Air Temperature sensor just dangling at the bottom of the car. Fixed that:

View attachment 19040

Then I moved onto the subject at hand:

So I have two videos, first startup and then a startup a minute later. As you can see there is some blow by past the throttle body when the car turns off. That whoosh sound echoes inside of the intake and the elbow and that's what makes the noise I believe (just a hypothesis, no way to test it for reals).

I hear a distinct whoosh of air hit that throttle body and it is not happy. Thoughts, comments, ideas? I'm still going back on Monday and getting a STAR report filed.
Next logical step would be to video one that has not been flashed & see what that TB does when it is shut off. I wonder if it just swings open to let the backflow of air past & into the tube/airbox.
Or if there is no backflow. Could be they are trying to stop that backflow for some pissy emissions crap ?!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Either something changed with TB control at shut off or the bypass is closing after TB at shut off is my hypothesis.

New cats and O2 sensors I'm all in. PCM flash ain't happenin' cap'n.

I've been getting a random code for O2 sensor slow to respond P0133 and P0153. I thought it was related to the flex fuel testing I've been doing but got it on my race tune this weekend. May be related to this recall.