Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Transmission not centered in tunnel

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
8F74DCE2-FBC2-456B-8DA0-03EB1DFA795F.jpeg A23DEB7D-A302-4294-A459-539937A45868.jpeg While installing new DSS DS noticed Transmission is not centered in the tunnel. M6, 825 wheel, Anyone ever see this before? Motor and or tranny mounts shifted?? Suggestions?

When removing stock DS noticed Barton shifter mounting leg is touching side of opening on drivers side

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
You may need to talk to Barton about that? Hopefully you don’t have to modify the tunnel? There is no problem if the transmission cross member and transmission mount are bolted up. They can’t be shifted or bolted up wrong. The engine crankshaft centerline is offset from the body centerline. The trans input shaft, driveshaft and rear pinion have to line up with the engine centerline. I don’t know the specs but the rear differential is not centered either and I believe the right and left axles are going to be different lengths to accommodate the offset centerline of the drivetrain. That’s also how the classic Mopar’s with solid rear axles were made. I assume it’s still like that?

Last edited:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Subscribed

OP
16GoManGoHC2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
Going to take it out tonight for a shake down pull and see if it rubs.
The Barton in the cutout is only touching ever so slightly, I’ll have to watch tonight and see which way, left or right the shifter moves under hard acceleration

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I know in the old days when they had U-joints on the ends, the pinion and tranny were NOT supposed to line up, and yes the solid axle rears had different lengths. But is that how Mopar does it now? When I was looking at the 4" driveshafts on G-force website (not DSS)they did have a disclaimer that it may hit and have to be clearanced. But I thought that was a disclaimer and maybe the exhaust, but is this what they were talking about?

Last edited:
OP
16GoManGoHC2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Only issue I’ve read is clearance to the exhaust system and shifter, I have no issue around either to DS just DS to passenger side of tunnel.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
my a8 is the same, I`m sure its normal. very noticeable when installing one piece shaft.

steven_sbs

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Southern
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Plum Crazy 2019 Redeye Widebody
Is it possible the transmission is centered in the chassis, but the tunnel is not centered in the chassis making it look like the transmission is not centered? Could the tunnel be asymmetrical giving more clearance on one side for shift linkage, foot space inside the cabin, or something else?

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Is it possible the transmission is centered in the chassis, but the tunnel is not centered in the chassis making it look like the transmission is not centered? Could the tunnel be asymmetrical giving more clearance on one side for shift linkage, foot space inside the cabin, or something else?
I`m sure the engineers had their reasons.

OP
16GoManGoHC2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
When installing Barton shifter before mods for more HP I don’t remember it being so close to one side of the cutout like it is now, of course this was a look from the top side not underneath but one would think engineers would center things in cutouts and tunnels???

I’ll be testing it later today to see which way the shifter kicks when stomped on, if it twists towards the drivers side that would only make it hit even more, if twist is toward passenger seat then ok I guess then. Either way I’ll be lifting it up afterwards to look at DS
I’ll post findings

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
That's exactly why guys are getting vibration when changing to a one piece drive shaft. FCA went with a two piece shaft for a reason.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
That's exactly why guys are getting vibration when changing to a one piece drive shaft. FCA went with a two piece shaft for a reason.
I tend to agree with you on this but I don't know why. What?? Meaning, yes I agree they def did it for a reason but don't know why. The old early/mid sixties Chevy Impalas did this but those cars were HUGE. The Challenger(albeit bigger than Camaro/Mustang) is just NOT that big, so why? I read an in depth article on this a ways back but don't know where or I would post it. I believe it said something to the fact that X amount of horsepower driven through a shaft at X amount of angle could take X amount of twisting/abuse. And when you put it through a shorter shaft at even a little more angle it could take more HP. So the Germans (basically the Challenger is based on the 300 series platform) engineered it so that two shorter shafts could take more HP and upset the chassis less with 2 shorter shafts rather than one long one for better handling.
Hey Mike it's after 8:00PM. You take that thing out for a shakedown yet?:D

Last edited:
OP
16GoManGoHC2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
Yes, took it out and up to speed, can feel it at 75-80 and again at 140. Weird Can’t feel it in the shifter but can feel it in the seat of your pants. It’s not terrible but it’s not as smooth as the stock shaft. Haven’t had a chance to look under it though, my back is killing me, putting up the exhaust system alone yesterday put me backwards in the healing process. Hopefully be lifting it up tomorrow and see if it rubbed any where and index the rear yoke 180 degrees and spool it up again. BTW the shifter moves slightly towards the passenger side under load, good for shifter leg rub but not good clearance wise DS to tunnel. We’ll check it out and advise, hopefully get to do a run afterwards but most likely will be dark by then and be Thursday before next test run.
Stay tuned lol

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Yes, took it out and up to speed, can feel it at 75-80 and again at 140. Weird Can’t feel it in the shifter but can feel it in the seat of your pants. It’s not terrible but it’s not as smooth as the stock shaft. Haven’t had a chance to look under it though, my back is killing me, putting up the exhaust system alone yesterday put me backwards in the healing process. Hopefully be lifting it up tomorrow and see if it rubbed any where and index the rear yoke 180 degrees and spool it up again. BTW the shifter moves slightly towards the passenger side under load, good for shifter leg rub but not good clearance wise DS to tunnel. We’ll check it out and advise, hopefully get to do a run afterwards but most likely will be dark by then and be Thursday before next test run.
Stay tuned lol
Edited my earlier reply. See if that makes any sense to you. Take it easy and feel better.

OP
16GoManGoHC2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
Yes, I understand the engineering behind 2 pc shafts with a center support. I looked at a upgraded 2 pc unit but their pricey, figured I’d give a DSS a whirl first.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
my a8 is the same, I`m sure its normal. very noticeable when installing one piece shaft.
I tend to agree it's normal. Even the drivetrain in my old '83 Camaro is offset a little towards the passenger side. I always understood (and may have been told) that it's designed that way to have the clearance needed for steering shaft and box. Makes me wonder if right hand drive cars are offset the opposite of ours......

Deebeezie

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Nurse
Member ID
Reactions
City
Melbourne
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Swapped out my DS for my CCI this past weekend in my ‘18 Charger and noticed the same thing. Ensured there was no rub and then took it out for the shake down. No issues, and more importantly, zero vibration at speed.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Now that is interesting. Is this the same in the Charger? Looks like it would be easy to tell from the parts (half-shafts being left or right side ONLY). I don't recall noticing this type of the offset in the Charger when I have it up, but that doesn't mean i didn't miss it.

Deebeezie

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Nurse
Member ID
Reactions
City
Melbourne
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I did certainly notice the offset on my Charger.

OP
16GoManGoHC2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
Lifted and checked for rubbing this evening, all clean. Indexed the DS 180 at the diff flange, will see tomorrow is any smoother, would have tonight but my kids car is in front of the garage door and he went out with friends and no spare key around, needless to say he got a happy txt lol