Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Those dang CV boots on my lowered Challenger...

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
I love having my ’15 SRT Challenger lowered but those CV boots like to fail. Just read where a guy who is also lowered, and likes to road course it, had the same problem. He ended up going with Redeye half shafts and is now a happy camper. Anyone else hear if the RE boots are more lowered friendly?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I love having my ’15 SRT Challenger lowered but those CV boots like to fail. Just read where a guy who is also lowered, and likes to road course it, had the same problem. He ended up going with Redeye half shafts and is now a happy camper. Anyone else hear if the RE boots are more lowered friendly?

Yes, while I believe at this point everything (all trim packages) is all on the same p/n, what I've heard is the RE WB is the ticket.

I need a set myself. (I've got a tiny pin-hole in my DS shaft)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
(I'm on the Blue Mopar springs.)

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
How far are you lowered? Make's sense - change the geometry, add power, there's going to be problems.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Yes, get the new Dodge axles. I had the same problem with my ‘15, that is about the only thing that will work. We know of another guy who had the same problem and road courses it, Redeye axles fixed it.

OP
MiHiHemi

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Thread Starter #6
Awesome! Thanks guys. Looks like a set of RE axles are in my near future ;)

OP
MiHiHemi

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Thread Starter #7
(I'm on the Blue Mopar springs.)
I dropped a fuzz over an inch on the KW adjustable springs.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I dropped a fuzz over an inch on the KW adjustable springs.
Yours’ is similar to what mine did. Had KW’s & was barely lowered in the rear, and aggressive road racing. Kept blowing every kind of CV known to man. Even tried expensive custom CV boots. I know @TrackDay had the same problem with his ‘16. He did not blow his until he brought it to BIR. The new axles fixed his problem.

Me? Not even thinking about lowering my Redeye. I have done everything else to its suspension, even changed the front springs to KW, and probably will even give it more power but I am not changing the rear springs. By the way, those KW rear sets are softer than stock springs on their max compression rate. They bottomed mine out and made AAD type control arms contact the bolts of the DSS CV’s I was using. That made interesting noise at about 130, plus ground down some bolt heads on the CV’s. I put the OEM springs back on my ‘15 and sold it.

OP
MiHiHemi

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Thread Starter #9
Yours’ is similar to what mine did. Had KW’s & was barely lowered in the rear, and aggressive road racing. Kept blowing every kind of CV known to man. Even tried expensive custom CV boots. I know @TrackDay had the same problem with his ‘16. He did not blow his until he brought it to BIR. The new axles fixed his problem.

Me? Not even thinking about lowering my Redeye. I have done everything else to its suspension, even changed the front springs to KW, and probably will even give it more power but I am not changing the rear springs. By the way, those KW rear sets are softer than stock springs on their max compression rate. They bottomed mine out and made AAD type control arms contact the bolts of the DSS CV’s I was using. That made interesting noise at about 130, plus ground down some bolt heads on the CV’s. I put the OEM springs back on my ‘15 and sold it.
Yep, I discovered quickly that the stock shock travel was reduced a bit after lowering :p Maybe some coil overs next for me to do it right.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yep, I discovered quickly that the stock shock travel was reduced a bit after lowering :p Maybe some coil overs next for me to do it right.
I am anxious to try this new controller. It may help. At this point I am glad my springs have the right heights. It sure seems roll resistant. Everyone that has been a rider agrees it is different. We will see soon.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Thumbs up for the Redeye axles. I've had them on my car for 3 years now with no issues, along with raising the rear of the car back up to MP spring height.
Just saw 1 person online who failed a Redeye axle. He just installed a big wing like Wesley's. I'm curious if that pushed the rear of the car back down at speed much like we saw with lowering springs.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thumbs up for the Redeye axles. I've had them on my car for 3 years now with no issues, along with raising the rear of the car back up to MP spring height.
Just saw 1 person online who failed a Redeye axle. He just installed a big wing like Wesley's. I'm curious if that pushed the rear of the car back down at speed much like we saw with lowering springs.

You got the RE p/ns handy?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
There is not much room for travel I think. I am corresponding with a guy over at Challenger Forum. Looks like his DSS CV bolts contacted the control arm. I have not seen anyone else do that one except the blue car. I bet he is very lowered and it is “bottoming out”. It did it BTW 1-2 at BIR if you went over the pavement wrong to the inside. And that sucks!

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
You got the RE p/ns handy?
When I got mine they were 53010848AB and 53010849AB.