Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The RF Lockout Is Done, What's Next?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
@ostmike did the training discuss whether this install should be advertised on the vehicle (like a small window sticker) as a deterrent? That's something I've wondered about, it'll either deter and prevent a broken window, or on the flip side let them know what you have and they might know a way around it. Curious on that.

Dodge was putting a decal on the window when the RF was locked but I'm not sure if they do that anymore.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #122
@ostmike did the training discuss whether this install should be advertised on the vehicle (like a small window sticker) as a deterrent? That's something I've wondered about, it'll either deter and prevent a broken window, or on the flip side let them know what you have and they might know a way around it. Curious on that.

Dodge was putting a decal on the window when the RF was locked but I'm not sure if they do that anymore.
No decal on mine.

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat

Without getting into too much detail on how the system works with it's extensive programmed and non-programmed deterrents I believe the well thought out process benefits from not having the potential thief knowing that the system is installed and assumes that a broken window and possibly some interior trim damage is a small price to pay.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm torn on the concept of something on the car that I can't know about...

:unsure:

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392

Which could also mean that all we might really need is the window sticker. On the other hand, they will break the window and try anyway, which means the sticker would be meaningless to the determined thief. (I'd still go with a sticker as well as the lockout anyway)

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

Agreed, and yet only a matter of time until someone figures out how to bypass or delete it to steal a car. Might be good now, but its still only a new thing in the cat and mouse game of car theft.

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat

Absolutely understood but that is just one more layer of the detailed security infrastructure. We are required to sign a contract stating that the customer cannot be present during the install and cannot be told how the installation is conducted. I can tell you after receiving the instruction that it is definitely nothing to be concerned about if performed by a trusted installer. Not sure that makes you feel any better but I am very picky about what is installed in my car as well as by who and I would not hesitate.

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Agreed, and yet only a matter of time until someone figures out how to bypass or delete it to steal a car. Might be good now, but its still only a new thing in the cat and mouse game of car theft.
It is unlikely it will be bypassed and the only way to delete it is to remove it hence the reason for the secrecy concerning the installation. Nothing is infallible but this is an excellent deterrent.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
It is unlikely it will be bypassed and the only way to delete it is to remove it hence the reason for the secrecy concerning the installation. Nothing is infallible but this is an excellent deterrent.
Thanks for the info. I actually use the key fobs for convenience and don't have issues losing things. I asked about the igla key fob cloning and was told that the code/sequence is too long (to clone) and would time out. Appreciate the info you can share.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
I also did not get a decal from the dealer when my RF hub was locked...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #131
I also did not get a decal from the dealer when my RF hub was locked...

I would of taken it off.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
I would of taken it off.
Yep the sticker is no use for me either..

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Got the TSB performed this morning finally. I also bought one of Speedy's red keys beforehand and had it paired to my car, so now I have 3 red keys and 1 black. Speedy's key lives on for another car now.
No charge for anything today.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
consider yourself lucky...$160 a pop programming charge at my stealer

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #136
I was charged $100. They did check the fobs to make sure they worked and put new batteries in since I've only ever used 1 red key.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
1 service guy told me since it's a TSB it's not free and would be about $190 a few minutes after I sat in the waiting room. I told him I wanted my keys back and would find another dealership that would do this for free. Within about 2 minutes after I was walking to my car, the service manager stopped me and told me the TSB would be free since it's a customer care bulletin and not to worry. He held up to what he said.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
TSB was "free" for me too, but I bought a spare key and they gigged me on programming an extra key.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #139
1 service guy told me since it's a TSB it's not free and would be about $190 a few minutes after I sat in the waiting room. I told him I wanted my keys back and would find another dealership that would do this for free. Within about 2 minutes after I was walking to my car, the service manager stopped me and told me the TSB would be free since it's a customer care bulletin and not to worry. He held up to what he said.
They always want to add a little bit to the cost.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Got the TSB performed this morning finally. I also bought one of Speedy's red keys beforehand and had it paired to my car, so now I have 3 red keys and 1 black. Speedy's key lives on for another car now.
No charge for anything today.
Paranoid about losing your mind? Is four enough TD?:LOL: