Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The RF Lockout Is Done, What's Next?

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #41
If you lost keys and needed a new RF Hub aren't they like $160 so not a ton of money? Maybe labor for install/programming is the issue?
I was told that all of the modules would have to be replaced if the fobs were lost. Didn't bother to ask what it amounted to, how many or what.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
I was told that all of the modules would have to be replaced if the fobs were lost. Didn't bother to ask what it amounted to, how many or what.
Pretty sure it's just the RF Hub.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
If you lost keys and needed a new RF Hub aren't they like $160 so not a ton of money? Maybe labor for install/programming is the issue?
Looks like it's actually pretty easy to get to the RF Hub and if it's $160 like I have heard, that is part of the reason I figure I'll go ahead.
The downside is it's pretty easy to get to the RF Hub. I'd think a thief could change one out in 2 minutes and then proceed with the normal key reprogramming, but perhaps I'm not fully aware of what it takes to install a RF Hub. Maybe it needs to be initialized with the other modules or something and that takes longer or is more complicated.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #44
Looks like it's actually pretty easy to get to the RF Hub and if it's $160 like I have heard, that is part of the reason I figure I'll go ahead.
The downside is it's pretty easy to get to the RF Hub. I'd think a thief could change one out in 2 minutes and then proceed with the normal key reprogramming, but perhaps I'm not fully aware of what it takes to install a RF Hub. Maybe it needs to be initialized with the other modules or something and that takes longer or is more complicated.
Sounds like no one really knows at this point. If it's a simple thing to replace then it's not the only thing that needs to be done.

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Lojack..... in 25 years of LE we had a 100% location rate once it went off. Sometimes they would get away after a chase but nonetheless whenever it went off we found it!

Remember Lojack is RADIO based not SAT based. It can track ur stolen vehicle in an 18 wheeler or anywhere GPS would not get a signal like under a parking garage for example.

They would steal motorcycles and put them in elevators and bring them up to their apt to strip them. Lojack has hand held devides that track with an accuracy of 10 feet away! We would just go from Apt to Apt till we got a signal. Nothing is better than Lojack.

The only down side is if u get Lojack and enter ur car stolen which is whats required to activate it ur car is now a stolen revovery for life! At least u get ur car back tho.

Lojack use to be a Northeastern thing..... Now its Nationwide! https://lojack.com/lojack-nationwide/

I tell ppl to get a kill switch (two of em), Lojack and a GPS for $15 a month. I would want to find my vehicle myself with GPS cause that way I would not have to enter it into NCIC (National crime computer) and have a stolen recovery. Lojack imo is a LAST resort but u will find ur shit with Lojack 100%!!!!!!!!! Shit has like a 15 year battery life!
The issue I have with Lojack is the lack of police vehicles equipped to track/locate the stolen vehicles. In the area I live, to my knowledge, there are none.
With the tracker I now use, if a vehicle goes in a place that blocks the signal, the track history shows where the signal failed. So you look there. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Installing a RF hub is a pain. Fortunately Micah is like Gumby and can contort to access and replace the RF hub in most cars.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
The RF Hub is on the back window sill as shown in the below picture. Seems to me, a thief could just cut through that flimsy fabric covering it, and plug in a new one, flash it and be on their way. Maybe it takes significant time to flash, or . . . ?
This is why I'm not counting on 1 security measure. Given time, a thief is going to get your car, but you just want to move them out of their comfort zone for how long it's taking to get away.

1693506297421.png

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yep, definitely agree with the layered approach. IGLA prevents new keys or even a new ID from a key I believe. I've heard a lot of good things about it but online info is a little scarce.

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
The RF Hub is on the back window sill as shown in the below picture. Seems to me, a thief could just cut through that flimsy fabric covering it, and plug in a new one, flash it and be on their way. Maybe it takes significant time to flash, or . . . ?
This is why I'm not counting on 1 security measure. Given time, a thief is going to get your car, but you just want to move them out of their comfort zone for how long it's taking to get away.

View attachment 114456
Just so we aren't confusing cutting a RF Hub out vs. uninstalling and reinstalling one properly since some might be misled - cutting one out is easy. Replacing one because you had the dealer lockout performed and then lost your keyfob requires removing quite a bit of the interior, replacing the hub then reinstalling the interior. Watch Speedy's video on installing a rear seat delete and you will see what is involved in doing it properly.

Illegal_Demon

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Open Space
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon; 2006 Viper (Arrow)
Just so we aren't confusing cutting a RF Hub out vs. uninstalling and reinstalling one properly since some might be misled - cutting one out is easy. Replacing one because you had the dealer lockout performed and then lost your keyfob requires removing quite a bit of the interior, replacing the hub then reinstalling the interior. Watch Speedy's video on installing a rear seat delete and you will see what is involved in doing it properly.
From a theft protection standpoint, this is encouraging. Now all I gotta do is never lose my 2 red keys! :p

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
My dealer can’t seem to confirm that it won’t affect the the tune. I know what you guys say but I want to hear it from them. They did say they’d charge me for the 3 keys and once it’s done, no more keys
Unless your 2015 Hellcat is not covered by Technical Service Bulletin 08-084-22, you should only be charged for the 3 keys (buying, or "programming") IF you're buying new fobs to go with the RF hub lockout software change. I went round and round last fall because last summer a dealership had not gotten the word from Dodge. I got Dodge Cares to confirm this "anti-theft fix" is a no charge item.

Today Jeff Wyler Dodge in Fort Thomas, KY, (NOT the place I first took it too) did the RF Hub lockout for my car. I brought all three of my original fobs. No charge. They asked me if I really wanted to do it because if we ever do need to get more fobs we will have to pay to replace the sending unit (whatever technical name that is) inside the car and buy however many new fobs we'd want. A realistic estimate for parts and labor is probably about $1,500.

I'm not going to lose three fobs (or the two 797 HP fobs). I keep my fobs inside faraday pouches inside a safe - easy to do because the car is not a daily driver.

I do feel better having gotten this done, but I also know few things in life are sure bets including that nobody can't steal my challenger.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
From a theft protection standpoint, this is encouraging. Now all I gotta do is never lose my 2 red keys! :p
I'm not following. Mike said to cut out the RF hub is "easy". Doing it right is what's difficult and the thieves won't care about that.

Also, I'm curious when you guys do security updates, RF Lockout, IGLA, etc do you put a decal on the window advertising it? Thinking maybe that would prevent a broken window if the thief knew they couldn't easily get the car?

a526051

Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Austin
State
TX
Country
United States
They didn't put a decal on my car, and I don't think I want to let anyone know in advance which anti theft system I have, in case they somehow know a way around it. I personally went with IGLA to try and keep the car from being taken. A broken window I'm willing to deal with, but if it gets taken then I don't think I'm interested in getting it back, that's why I wouldn't use LOJACK or any other tracking devices. Once it's gone the cops aren't going to put in any effort to find it before it's trashed, and I'm not going to try and track them down to get it back myself. Just my personal opinion

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
The issue I have with Lojack is the lack of police vehicles equipped to track/locate the stolen vehicles. In the area I live, to my knowledge, there are none.
With the tracker I now use, if a vehicle goes in a place that blocks the signal, the track history shows where the signal failed. So you look there. Not perfect, but better than nothing.
I sit corrected, Lojack is now using GPS and cell phone technology as are all of the other tracking/locating systems.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Totally agree. OTOH here is my back seat area. 😉 Try and get through that harness bar to get that RF Hub out - better be skinny and short.
20230831_202652.jpg

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
I'm not following. Mike said to cut out the RF hub is "easy". Doing it right is what's difficult and the thieves won't care about that.

Also, I'm curious when you guys do security updates, RF Lockout, IGLA, etc do you put a decal on the window advertising it? Thinking maybe that would prevent a broken window if the thief knew they couldn't easily get the car?
I remember Pat Rall got the RF hub lockout done when it first came out and they were putting stickers on the car at that time. Guess that fell by the way side.
I have no warning stickers on my car. I will likely get one of the newer, wider Clubs though. However, that might attract a thief thinking he can drill that lock or cut the wheel in 30 seconds and drive away. Then he'd have to get through 3 other countermeasures he wouldn't know about yet. 😎

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
I've been watching some videos on how easy it is to program a key if you have an existing key you can use as a model, even just using Alfa OBD and an OBD Link. It appears if you don't have an existing key you have to go into the STAR connector on the passenger side. @Speedy! , I assume that's why it took them a little time to program a new key for your car and get away.
They have to connect to your OBD port and read the RF Hub ID, then they have to insert some bypass pins into the STAR connector that is behind the glovebox. They then plug into the OBD and STAR connector and program a new key a few seconds later.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I've got the security footage and they never went in the car and definitely not the passenger side.

That device shows it's $3,000. They're either stealing those too, or using something cheaper?

Last edited:

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
I've got the security footage and they never went in the car and definitely not the passenger side.
Any ideas on how they did it?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Any ideas on how they did it?
Someone posted earlier that 2015-2017 you could do something with just the OBDII port. I do remember in 2018 they changed something as that's when the double bypass was needed for tuning.