Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Tapp performance stage 1 capability

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Not to mention logging at the track helps dial the car in and get consistency as well. PITA but worth it right @jonx96 :LOL:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I had my share of issues with a tuner. It is why I went on my own and started doing my own thing.
The reason I say to at least learn to datalog is to keep your own car in check. For example weather changes things. Also during the initial tuning process to be able to catch things. For example I had a 6 degrees of short term knock retard through a hole entire pull. When I asked about it I was told it was normal because my knock sensors weren't desensitized. THIS IS NOT NORMAL! I called it quits after that. If it was someone who didn't understand nothing would have ever been done about it.
I will say tunes are more money for these cars than about any other platform. For a thousand dollar tune a tuner should at least provide a how to video of how to datalog and write a tune.
I don't know the situation with the credits but if you provide your tuner with your hp tuners information they should automatically show up in your account and then you have to sync them to editor. I am guessing the credits weren't synced to editor and he should have told you that.
They sold me the RTD setup which only gave them access to my data. I didn't know at the time that that was the situation. The car sat for at least 3 months until I found someone to get it straightened out so that I could data log.
I have no interest in changing the tune. I just want a library for different situations.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Some people have better luck with canned tunes than others :whistle:
It's why I tell everyone to at least understand basic datalogging.
@fubar569 it sounds like you have the understanding of datalogging down so that is great news!
I try sometimes.

I took my last 2 known good files and tried to refine the injector tables In An effort to get things closer. I believe I made progress on my E85 only file but the flex tune I must've driven 500 miles and accomplished about zero. That was ANN on and just trying to see if it had an affect on inference which it only made a slight improvement. I must've missed something that didn't quite translate over table-wise and that's fine.

What seems to have a far bigger impact actually? The wires coming loose in my fuel hat and hanging up the float. AGAIN. for the 2nd time 🤬

Now...my current daily flex tune is locked by virtue of being a remote tune. I can't even view it if I load it into editor and I'm fine with that. If I have suspicions I send the file and the log and get my changes made.

The E85 only tune isn't locked however. So if I ever felt the need to make approved changes at the track I can do that. The stoich tables are set to properly read for E85...although I'm getting much more comfortable logging, reading and understanding lambda itself. Takes a min.

Last edited:
OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #64
Not to mention logging at the track helps dial the car in and get consistency as well. PITA but worth it right @jonx96 :LOL:
I'm only laughing because it's true :ROFLMAO:
Wife: What are we doing tonight?
Me: Well As long as you don't mind holding the laptop I guess we can go for ice cream :)

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I'm only laughing because it's true :ROFLMAO:
Wife: What are we doing tonight?
Me: Well As long as you don't mind holding the laptop I guess we can go for ice cream :)
Get the Bluetooth setup.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #66
Get the Bluetooth setup.
I told her certain tables to watch during a pull :) I have bluetooth but I typically leave it wired.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I told her certain tables to watch during a pull :) I have bluetooth but I typically leave it wired.
Mine will never go for that. Especially jumping into it.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Mine will never go for that. Especially jumping into it.
Mine absolutely loses her marbles when I go WOT with her in the car.

2/10 do not recommend.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Still shopping.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
BT was too sluggish on mine.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #72
BT was too sluggish on mine.
I noticed the same. I only tried it for 3 passes and I think 2 of the 3 froze up.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Wife. Got a message from the collision center and head lights will be in Feb 4th. Waiting and waiting.

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 hellcat charger widebody
Fortunately I have good access to e70. I've spoken with a couple of other tuners about the inferred flex, and the general consensus I came up with its a much better idea than it is in actuality.
Im happy just running a dedicated e70 tune, then when we go on trips I just swap the upper pulley and tune. I have to swap pulleys for 93 anyway and I know me well enough to know Im not going to drive easy, so it works.

I might revisit down the road we will see.

I can say that a friend of mine bought a hellcat used that had the flex tune by a very well known and respected hellcat tuner. While in houston after getting some e85 the car started running horribly. It did better on 93, but really acted up on e85. Once we got back home I retuned it for straight e (no flex) and all the issues went away. That sort of sealed my distrust for the flex tuning.

Maybe one day the method to incorporate a sensor into the mix won't be such black magic secret and we can have a real flex solution

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I try sometimes.

I took my last 2 known good files and tried to refine the injector tables In An effort to get things closer. I believe I made progress on my E85 only file but the flex tune I must've driven 500 miles and accomplished about zero. That was ANN on and just trying to see if it had an affect on inference which it only made a slight improvement. I must've missed something that didn't quite translate over table-wise and that's fine.

What seems to have a far bigger impact actually? The wires coming loose in my fuel hat and hanging up the float. AGAIN. for the 2nd time 🤬

Now...my current daily flex tune is locked by virtue of being a remote tune. I can't even view it if I load it into editor and I'm fine with that. If I have suspicions I send the file and the log and get my changes made.

The E85 only tune isn't locked however. So if I ever felt the need to make approved changes at the track I can do that. The stoich tables are set to properly read for E85...although I'm getting much more comfortable logging, reading and understanding lambda itself. Takes a min.
So this is how tuners are now hiding that they’re peddling canned tunes to masses with 2.85 pulleys and 1050 injectors and keeping you from finding the F ups in their tunes that cause damage to engines? Like turning misfire detection Off, turning knock sensors off or up to the moon, forgetting to rescale tables, not catching lean areas, etc? Thank God I had a nice forum member help teach me how to not have to rely on a Hellcat tuner.
I had a guy remote tune my boys RX-8, a very specialized rotary engine, not many dabble in them and the ones that do wanted almost 5k in mods and 2-2500$ in turning costs to tune a stock block turbo added rotary engine. Said we needed a new custom Adaptronic ECU only made in Australia 1600$, new injectors 1000$, new fuel system $1500 a bunch of new sensors for another $1000, the car was going to sit!! Found a Old school guy located in New Zealand who did it for $450!! We had to buy a custom software called Mazda Edit and a special OBD2 adapter called a Tactrix, had to go through a 3 email back and forth unlocking of the factory PCM and marrying it to the Tactrix and software process which cost 300 total and this guy on the other side of the world was more responsive, helpful, and more so RESPECTFUL of me as a customer then a Hellcat tuner in my own state, nice aye!! This guy got me revisions within minutes of getting him logs no matter what time of day or day of the week it was. BEST 450$ I’ve spent playing with cars, wish some of these high roller tuners would get off their pedestal's and treat paying customers with some respect not expect their asses kissed. Sorry for the rant, burns my ass every time I think of my experience with a few.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
So this is how tuners are now hiding that they’re peddling canned tunes to masses with 2.85 pulleys and 1050 injectors and keeping you from finding the F ups in their tunes that cause damage to engines? Like turning misfire detection Off, turning knock sensors off or up to the moon, forgetting to rescale tables, not catching lean areas, etc? Thank God I had a nice forum member help teach me how to not have to rely on a Hellcat tuner.
I had a guy remote tune my boys RX-8, a very specialized rotary engine, not many dabble in them and the ones that do wanted almost 5k in mods and 2-2500$ in turning costs to tune a stock block turbo added rotary engine. Said we needed a new custom Adaptronic ECU only made in Australia 1600$, new injectors 1000$, new fuel system $1500 a bunch of new sensors for another $1000, the car was going to sit!! Found a Old school guy located in New Zealand who did it for $450!! We had to buy a custom software called Mazda Edit and a special OBD2 adapter called a Tactrix, had to go through a 3 email back and forth unlocking of the factory PCM and marrying it to the Tactrix and software process which cost 300 total and this guy on the other side of the world was more responsive, helpful, and more so RESPECTFUL of me as a customer then a Hellcat tuner in my own state, nice aye!! This guy got me revisions within minutes of getting him logs no matter what time of day or day of the week it was. BEST 450$ I’ve spent playing with cars, wish some of these high roller tuners would get off their pedestal's and treat paying customers with some respect not expect their asses kissed. Sorry for the rant, burns my ass every time I think of my experience with a few.
It's a real problem out there.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
That's the rub when there's SO much business out there. I try to build relationships and see how that goes first before diving in but not everyone has the time, patience, or desire for that. I've watched both Mike from OST as well as Curt Dusterhoff spend time at ChallengerFest dialing in customer cars. Mike had a line of people at his tent all day all holding laptops LOL. Email tuning works, but unless you hire the tuner out for the day remotely it can get time consuming going back and forth when you only hear from them once a week or so. If I'm ever on a position to have a future car tuned I can't do myself, I'll absolutely hire the tuner for the day so I can work through it all in one shot.

I've got 93, E85, and Flex tunes for my car, plus MS109 and E85 race only tunes as well. All of them were easy except the flex fuel stuff. It was a major PITA so I don't blame some for giving up on it. I've flipped back and forth 3 times now from full E85 and gradually mixing all the way back down to 93 and back to E85 and knock on wood it's worked without any issues and logs show trims and all are great, but I'm doing it myself so I can be picky and spend time on it and that's a whole different ball game than buying a tune from someone doing 100s of cars.

Only Chevy uses an ethanol sensor in their FF vehicles. Dodge and Ford (as jonx96 mentioned) use inferred, so it's not voo doo magic or anything. I agree a sensor would be great, but not a REAL option for us at present.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
That's the rub when there's SO much business out there. I try to build relationships and see how that goes first before diving in but not everyone has the time, patience, or desire for that. I've watched both Mike from OST as well as Curt Dusterhoff spend time at ChallengerFest dialing in customer cars. Mike had a line of people at his tent all day all holding laptops LOL. Email tuning works, but unless you hire the tuner out for the day remotely it can get time consuming going back and forth when you only hear from them once a week or so. If I'm ever on a position to have a future car tuned I can't do myself, I'll absolutely hire the tuner for the day so I can work through it all in one shot.

I've got 93, E85, and Flex tunes for my car, plus MS109 and E85 race only tunes as well. All of them were easy except the flex fuel stuff. It was a major PITA so I don't blame some for giving up on it. I've flipped back and forth 3 times now from full E85 and gradually mixing all the way back down to 93 and back to E85 and knock on wood it's worked without any issues and logs show trims and all are great, but I'm doing it myself so I can be picky and spend time on it and that's a whole different ball game than buying a tune from someone doing 100s of cars.

Only Chevy uses an ethanol sensor in their FF vehicles. Dodge and Ford (as jonx96 mentioned) use inferred, so it's not voo doo magic or anything. I agree a sensor would be great, but not a REAL option for us at present.
These guys may do this at challenger fest for high rollers but they sure don’t have the same attentiveness or personalization via email for the little guys. Sorry, was my experience and then what I’ve heard via PM’s from dozens. I’ve gotten nasty grams from both, for asking too many questions and sending emails and logs that where too long. Was told flat out (in email, I still have it) that I can service 5 customers in the time it takes me to read your email, a email that took 45 seconds to read the details I was trying to explain to look for in the log, really??
Same guy that turned Misfire detection off and I found a melted plug afterwards, luckily I looked on my own as I was told no worries but my anal ness saved me, I turned it back on myself. Things just continued to turn south and I parted ways, tried another was pretty much the same game different song and that was it for me and pro tuners. I agree unless you go and pay big dollars for a Dyno visit tune as remote tuning is definitely the tough way and you don’t get near as much as you possibly could visiting the shop or having someone personally do it hands-on But be prepared to open your wallet wide for such. Unless you get real real lucky and find the right guy who’s not doing it to make a living from it but does it because it’s his passion.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Haha, I don't know I've seen any high rollers at CF. We couldn't even auction a Demon at CF 2018 for more than $105K that was donated!

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Haha, I don't know I've seen any high rollers at CF. We couldn't even auction a Demon at CF 2018 for more than $105K that was donated!
Were they offering owner financing?