Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Stronger lug nuts for Racestars?

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
So I broke one and my friend helping me broke one. We were able to take the wheel off and get the nut off the stud with some pliers. What part number and brand would be a stronger option?

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
How did this happen?
Rattle gun?

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
How do you “break” a lugnut. What actually broke? I heard of breaking a stud but not lugnuts?? Factory lugnuts have a sheet metal cover on them that can get dented and deformed and sometimes get separated off the actual lugnut. Aftermarket lugs for your RaceStars should be solid. You cannot break a lugnut?

Last edited:
OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #5
They broke where the head goes to the sleeve. With a torque wrench. He broke one and I broke one. They were easy to get off the studs with pliers . Thanks Motorhead.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Ok I had the same issue happen to mine , what I found was when you install them be sure in a triangle pattern install 3 just run them in to stop to align the wheel then install them ( I torque mine to 110 ft lbs , here is what I found out the hard way make sure you loosen all the lugs first before removing them , don’t remove one at a time without first loosening the others or they will sieze up

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Just for science sake, what brand were the ones that broke?

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #8
The Racestars ones.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Racestar needs to know they have a QC problem...I would be afraid to use those on an 800 HP car!

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
RaceStar has had horrible lug nuts in the past. Absolutely the worst Chinese crap. I have been told that they have finally done something about it and are correcting the problem (meaning that they are providing high quality pieces now). This is second hand info as I do not use the RaceStars anymore. I have no doubt that my friend was told this directly by RaceStar but whether they are doing it or not is a good question. I would suggest calling them and telling them about the problem and see what they say.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
That’s a weird problem. Mine were on and off, torqued to 111ftlb dozens of times, never had one fail.
I’m not a fan of the washer and shank design and overall quality of the combination, but never broke one over 3 years.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I am on and off a lot also and have never had a problem.
Knock on wood!

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #13

Maybe they are breaking due to my launches. Did a modest new best in Tucson last night. 9.70 vs 9.75 two weeks ago.

Last edited:

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
1 thing that helps too on shank lug nuts , is to use anti seize on the stud threads & on the outside of the lug nut so it slides right in the wheel easy.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
For a shank style lug nut to function properly the wheel stud must be long enough to reach into the nut portion of the lug nut. If it's just in the shank portion then there's nothing holding the wheel to the car other than the thin 'wall' area of the shank. Threads are a natural stress point in metal as well as the relatively sharp inside corner where the nut meets the shank. That's why they break where you're describing when the stud isn't reaching into the nut.

I have never put a shank style wheel on my car so I have no first hand knowledge about your wheel/lug nut/lug stud combination. I'd personally check to see how much stud you have sticking out past the wheel and washer. The part sticking out should be equal to or more than the diameter of the stud. So.. a little more than a half inch at minimum.

Hope this helps. This sounds like potentially a very dangerous situation.

HemiPacer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
I’ve snapped a Summit one , IMO they are no better. The shank design is just shithouse and a pain in the bum . I made a set of much better quality washers that don’t deform and get stuck which helps and take a box of spare bolts/ washers/ hub centric ring to the track . D1C31CA3-76B6-45BD-85EF-73DA6EC43937.png 2AEA8AB5-720F-44BF-B142-2466A4872365.jpeg

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #18
I did not realize the gorilla lug nuts were summits brand.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
1st post,,,,, get the nutt off the stud. Should have stopped right there and started back ass wards.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
For a shank style lug nut to function properly the wheel stud must be long enough to reach into the nut portion of the lug nut. If it's just in the shank portion then there's nothing holding the wheel to the car other than the thin 'wall' area of the shank. Threads are a natural stress point in metal as well as the relatively sharp inside corner where the nut meets the shank. That's why they break where you're describing when the stud isn't reaching into the nut.

I have never put a shank style wheel on my car so I have no first hand knowledge about your wheel/lug nut/lug stud combination. I'd personally check to see how much stud you have sticking out past the wheel and washer. The part sticking out should be equal to or more than the diameter of the stud. So.. a little more than a half inch at minimum.

Hope this helps. This sounds like potentially a very dangerous situation.
Guys, Keep in mind thicker heavy duty washers actually make this problem worse. Longer studs are the only way to properly fix this dangerous situation.

66849355_10157571876098969_7368057503419990016_n.jpg

Last edited: