Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Selling to Carvana vs. CarGurus vs. CarMax

OP
MikeD1

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #21
Did you try dealers within a 100 mile radius?

Carfax trade in estimator (spits your info to local dealers)

Kbb cash trade in value (spits your info to dealers looking to buy cars)

Tmv market report

Edmunds trade in evaluator

Manheim market report.

Congrats on selling the car, just wish you would have documented your process from day 1 on here, I could have helped you get the best offer possible. That offer stands for anyone here, I can point people in the right direction provided they do the leg work.
Wish I'd have known that 2 weeks ago - sigh. Hopefully, it will help others here trying to sell a vehicle !!

Edmunds does provide a Carfax estimate & it was the lowest by far so I ignored it and moved on to the others.

FL dealers suck, I've had salesmen actually tell me to go to CarMax that they would make a better offer than the dealer even when you take the sales tax brake into consideration. Last time I actually sold/traded a car at a dealer was 20 years ago (trading an old Infiniti for a new one). So I didn't even bother shopping the local dealers. Figured the Carfax estimate was representative of what to expect from them ?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Deal was ok, and process was straight forward. No charge for pick up or was included already in offer. Cant remember. No visits, just 20 pics or thereabouts.
Sounds like their process has changed.
It has. I haven't been asked for a single photo of the car yet, and the cost of the pickup is still an unknown, but since their closest yard in about 160 miles away I suspect I'll be taking it there on a trailer.

OP
MikeD1

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #23
Kbb always shoots high.

Nada is usually a bit more accurate

Manheim is the most accurate because it has access to what these cars are going on the block.

Carmax can't sell hellcats retail, they always wholesale them so your number is always going to be lower than what a dealer who wants to retail them would pay.
That is interesting, wonder why no Hellcats ?? Just looked at their sight & they have plenty of 392's !

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Wish I'd have known that 2 weeks ago - sigh. Hopefully, it will help others here trying to sell a vehicle !!

Edmunds does provide a Carfax estimate & it was the lowest by far so I ignored it and moved on to the others.

FL dealers suck, I've had salesmen actually tell me to go to CarMax that they would make a better offer than the dealer even when you take the sales tax brake into consideration. Last time I actually sold/traded a car at a dealer was 20 years ago (trading an old Infiniti for a new one). So I didn't even bother shopping the local dealers. Figured the Carfax estimate was representative of what to expect from them ?
Well it's about compiling a list of all offers, often times dealers will beat carmax offers whether out of spite or knowing your business will go somewhere else.

But if all the other estimators were spitting out low then you did ok.

Sometimes it's not worth sweating a few bucks but imo every dollar I can squeeze without wasting too much time makes you feel good, especially seeing how dealers squeeze us.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
That is interesting, wonder why no Hellcats ?? Just looked at their sight & they have plenty of 392's !
Possible issues with theft on lots, fraud, etc etc

Not to mention carmax allows test drives and take home test drives.

These cars unfortunately attract a lot of unscrupulous characters and furthermore are down right dangerous for your average driver, these cars aren't awd, traction control isn't super high tech, and 700 hp + rwd = disaster in the wrong hands.

Market and who their customer base probably plays a role as well.

I think it's mostly that these hellcats are a liability they don't wanna deal with so they send em straight to auction.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Sometimes it's not worth sweating a few bucks but imo every dollar I can squeeze without wasting too much time makes you feel good, especially seeing how dealers squeeze us.
Which is why I sold to Carvana instead of trading the Audi in on the Durango.

That cost me about $600, but with used car prices going down and no guarantee that the Durango will actually show up, I decided to play it safe. For a fee.

OP
MikeD1

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #27
Which is why I sold to Carvana instead of trading the Audi in on the Durango.

That cost me about $600, but with used car prices going down and no guarantee that the Durango will actually show up, I decided to play it safe. For a fee.
I thought the D was already built & just waiting on a train ride ??

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I thought the D was already built & just waiting on a train ride ??
Yep, it's built and in the Bud yard, but if it doesn't catch a train it won't do me any good.

It's starting to look like the '19 Redeye that for whatever reason couldn't get on a train for quite a while.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Yep, it's built and in the Bud yard, but if it doesn't catch a train it won't do me any good.

It's starting to look like the '19 Redeye that for whatever reason couldn't get on a train for quite a while.
Which yard is it in?

Ask dealer to hot tag it?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Which yard is it in?

Ask dealer to hot tag it?
It's in the Bud yard. And we did try fast tracking twice with the Redeye. If anything I think that just slowed things down even more.

I can just see the guys going "Oh, you think you're important, huh? Well, we'll show you."
Okay, maybe there's something to be said for being the squeaky wheel, but I don't want to be one.

It'll show up when it shows up (if it does) and there's not much I can do to change that. Okay, I could, but I prefer to use my inside contacts at Stellantis very sparingly, and this isn't one case I'd consider. Then again, I don't think they will ever be needed once this model year is over.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
It's in the Bud yard. And we did try fast tracking twice with the Redeye. If anything I think that just slowed things down even more.

I can just see the guys going "Oh, you think you're important, huh? Well, we'll show you."
Okay, maybe there's something to be said for being the squeaky wheel, but I don't want to be one.

It'll show up when it shows up (if it does) and there's not much I can do to change that. Okay, I could, but I prefer to use my inside contacts at Stellantis very sparingly, and this isn't one case I'd consider. Then again, I don't think they will ever be needed once this model year is over.
What does the tracker say?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
What does the tracker say?
Last I checked (which isn't often) it said "vehicle built" on 6-17. In real life it was on 4-21.

That tracker is about as useful as calling customer service, which I learned was utter nonsense and a waste of time with the '19 Redeye order. But we turned it into a fun sport in a thread on the old site.

Basically, the advantage of the tracker is that it doesn't lie by saying something, it just shows what isn't true.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Last I checked (which isn't often) it said "vehicle built" on 6-17. In real life it was on 4-21.

That tracker is about as useful as calling customer service, which I learned was utter nonsense and a waste of time with the '19 Redeye order. But we turned it into a fun sport in a thread on the old site.

Basically, the advantage of the tracker is that it doesn't lie by saying something, it just shows what isn't true.
Interesting because my tracker was pretty spot on, seems like tracker is dead on or completely inaccurate.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Interesting because my tracker was pretty spot on, seems like tracker is dead on or completely inaccurate.
This was the first vehicle I tried using the tracker for. Normally I wait for a call from the dealer if there's been a change in status code.

Having already read about people having had their vehicles delivered for a week or so while the tracker still said that it wasn't shipped yet made me realize that it was just a different version of calling customer service. The main difference being that the tracker won't come up with three different answers in one day.

But maybe it's unfair to say that the tracker is inaccurate. It's just a month or two behind. And it's probably the same guessworkers that handle the phone inquiries that inputs the info in the tracker, so I didn't expect accuracy or timeliness.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
This was the first vehicle I tried using the tracker for. Normally I wait for a call from the dealer if there's been a change in status code.

Having already read about people having had their vehicles delivered for a week or so while the tracker still said that it wasn't shipped yet made me realize that it was just a different version of calling customer service. The main difference being that the tracker won't come up with three different answers in one day.

But maybe it's unfair to say that the tracker is inaccurate. It's just a month or two behind. And it's probably the same guessworkers that handle the phone inquiries that inputs the info in the tracker, so I didn't expect accuracy or timeliness.
Tracker has 2 speeds, really really wrong or dead on.

I talked to the GM of the dealer I ordered through and he said man I'm telling you we have the same sh*t tracking system yall have we just have a little more info like current location, latest status update, etc etc

So it's not just us, it's everyone.

Also the charger/challengers are made at a different plant so maybe brampton got their shit together and the other plant isn't there yet.

Either way it's super frustrating imo.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Either way it's super frustrating imo.
Meh. It's only been 7.5 months since I ordered, and not quite three since it was built. That has given me time to go from wanting the car to not wanting it, to maybe wanting it.

But I should probably start looking for tires that are good on snow and ice, so I'm prepared when/if it does show up.
Maybe even stop by a dealer after dropping off the Audi tomorrow and find out if I like a Durango after seeing one up close and in person.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Send me the info and I'll have my guy pull a mmr. (Vin, color, miles, condition, region, etc etc)

Once you get the mmr you wanna start looking at the dealers in your area with the highest prices on lot for hellcats, just use every resource possible, the estimators, value your trade on the dealer site, etc etc

You can do most of the work before you ever set foot in a dealer because of the internet.
Yo 2Pac, I will have ya tat info dis afternuun. Ihave 2 get da reger station fer da vin #. Thanke fer ya help. I will puster in yall in box.
Hickster

TorRedHellgato

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New York
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge Charger Hellcat
I sold my 2016 to Carvana back in 2019. It had bad bearings, got my offer online, made the appointment, guy showed up, just looked at the car, said wow this thing is mint and took it. Had my check and deposited it. Easy process.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
My Lambo friend frum Redingtun Beach, Fl told wa on Munday dat his friend got his ass kissen price frum da dealer. So, dat tells wa to go sea da dealler dat has dun alot of main 10 nance wurk 2 da caa and da shitster I bought it frum and gester a price. It will break my heart, butt have bills 2 pay and annuter car 2 buy. I have 1 moe ear of payments soooooo, maybeeez?? Youz guyz know? Butt insurance is killen me hea in Fl.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
At Carvanas' palatial facility, cleansing the herd by getting rid of a multi-door.

Tomorrow I'll enjoy a drive to the bank in the new SXT, to deposit the check. DSCN4958[1].JPG