Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Sales Tax for Online Purchases?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
@RGPIII gets a pass because his car seems serious but haven’t been in a part of DE I liked, Wilmington is like philly with no sales tax

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
@RGPIII gets a pass because his car seems serious but haven’t been in a part of DE I liked, Wilmington is like philly with no sales tax
Lower slower Delaware here buddy. anything above Dover is suspect to me :ROFLMAO:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Lower slower Delaware here buddy. anything above Dover is suspect to me :ROFLMAO:
Delaware has definitely changed.

We kept moving south until we hit Middletown, then we went rural into Maryland and now in Florida.

The nanny state keeps creeping along.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Lousy coach...(bet only 4 or 5 knows who he was)
Uh huh. Another one of the buffoons hired to take the Lions to the Promised Land. Didn’t quite work out……as usual.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Well as a small business owner. You need to look at the south dakota vs wayfair inc case. Where the supreme court ruled where states can require sales tax from out of state purchases.
For example:
If my business was located in Indiana and I will selling to a Michigan customer I would not have to charge sales tax unless the year prior I made 200 sales or a 100,000 dollars in sales to Michigan Residents. I used michigan as an example because thats the state I live and the state im most familar with.

Forget the above example now because I am actually based in michigan.
New example:
Moored performance is located in michigan. Even if I only ever make 1 sale online I am still required to collect sales tax to michigan residents since my busniess is based here. This is only for products sold not a service. So I do not have to charge taxes on my tunes. Well I shouldnt the state of michigan wants to have more conversations with me on exactly what I am doing because they dont understand. I pretty much told them remote tune ups. And they just cant get over the fact software is involved.

But the interesting thing. from what I can tell the State of Tennessee never requires a seller from another state to charge a Tennessee resident. My guess some places are just starting to always charge sales tax because they don't want to know every states tax code.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Well as a small business owner. You need to look at the south dakota vs wayfair inc case. Where the supreme court ruled where states can require sales tax from out of state purchases.
For example:
If my business was located in Indiana and I will selling to a Michigan customer I would not have to charge sales tax unless the year prior I made 200 sales or a 100,000 dollars in sales to Michigan Residents. I used michigan as an example because thats the state I live and the state im most familar with.

Forget the above example now because I am actually based in michigan.
New example:
Moored performance is located in michigan. Even if I only ever make 1 sale online I am still required to collect sales tax to michigan residents since my busniess is based here. This is only for products sold not a service. So I do not have to charge taxes on my tunes. Well I shouldnt the state of michigan wants to have more conversations with me on exactly what I am doing because they dont understand. I pretty much told them remote tune ups. And they just cant get over the fact software is involved.

But the interesting thing. from what I can tell the State of Tennessee never requires a seller from another state to charge a Tennessee resident. My guess some places are just starting to always charge sales tax because they don't want to know every states tax code.
This last can be a fact (I've seen it) but it is technically "fraud" if they do not forward it to the state as required. Serious businesses will not get into that trap. It can end up, among other things, with a full tax audit for them. This whole topic sprung from the decline in tax revenues from online purchases (see Amazon) and states not wanting to miss out on that revenue.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
This last can be a fact (I've seen it) but it is technically "fraud" if they do not forward it to the state as required. Serious businesses will not get into that trap. It can end up, among other things, with a full tax audit for them. This whole topic sprung from the decline in tax revenues from online purchases (see Amazon) and states not wanting to miss out on that revenue.
Technically taxes are theft.

Especially since the majority of them are not spent for the people but ripped off by politicians and corporations.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Lousy coach...(bet only 4 or 5 knows who he was)
I live in Michigan so yes

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #51
So if a state not required to collect sales tax collects it anyway, and actually sends it to the state, is a refund due or ?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
So if a state not required to collect sales tax collects it anyway, and actually sends it to the state, is a refund due or ?
No they are still reporting the tax I’m sure.
technically if you buy something online you are supposed to still file and pay taxes on it later as the individual. So with them doing what they are doing they are just collecting the money ahead of time so you don’t have to pay it later. Even tho no one pays it later. So technically no refund because you are just paying ahead of time instead of later

Last edited:

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Taxinator said:
...but men with guns will eventually show up if a taxpayer does not comply...

They are not the only ones with guns, lots of guns.
C4 to the door, tax man no more...

Another great reason to move to a state with no sales tax! One big bonus to living in DE.
You gave us Biden, should removed from the Union and sold to the highest bidder.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
C4 to the door, tax man no more...

You gave us Biden, should removed from the Union and sold to the highest bidder.
He's already bought. You have to buy him from his master.