Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Sad News for Houston Racing

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #21
It sucks guys, we're being squeezed out in a lot of places.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Porter
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 WB Redeye
We still have HMP ( Houston Motorsports Park ) a awesome 1/8 mile track but it's not the same as the 1/4 mile.
HMP has seemed sketchy lately. Have gone there a few times when HRP has been closed or didn't want to make the full trip to Baytown. Prep has been questionable and seen a lot of slipping and sliding.

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #23
HMP has seemed sketchy lately. Have gone there a few times when HRP has been closed or didn't want to make the full trip to Baytown. Prep has been questionable and seen a lot of slipping and sliding.
Yeah, I haven't been to HMP in a while, I know on Sundays they would prep good, If HMP becomes so so, then I really have no other place to go to without driving to San Antonio Raceway, which I don't really want to drive 2.5 hours each way.

Member ID
Reactions
City
webster
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 challenger hellcat
Hey Mean Cat, good thread. It's not a good sign for the sport that the 3rd most populated metro plex in the country that is known to have the fastest street cars in the country will have no 1/4 mile tracks to run at.

Hard to blame the owners of Houston Raceway for accepting the big offer to buy the track and land, but it still sucks.

I'll make the switch over to Sunday's at HMP and will head over to SATX once a month or every other month or so, they have some Friday and Saturday events so maybe just stay over and run both days over there from time to time.

Next May when they tear Houston Raceway down I hope I don't ever have to drive down that road again, want to remember it the way it was and not demolished.

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #25
Hey Mean Cat, good thread. It's not a good sign for the sport that the 3rd most populated metro plex in the country that is known to have the fastest street cars in the country will have no 1/4 mile tracks to run at.

Hard to blame the owners of Houston Raceway for accepting the big offer to buy the track and land, but it still sucks.

I'll make the switch over to Sunday's at HMP and will head over to SATX once a month or every other month or so, they have some Friday and Saturday events so maybe just stay over and run both days over there from time to time.

Next May when they tear Houston Raceway down I hope I don't ever have to drive down that road again, want to remember it the way it was and not demolished.
Hey Nate, yeah it sucks our 1/4 track is closing. HMP will have to do until hopefully a new one is built somewhere else around Houston.
I might have to join you once in a while when you go to SA track.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Havent been there in years and years. What are they charging?

HMP was trashy. But I dont like 8ths anyway.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Sorry to hear. Once they are closed,,,, no going back.

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #28
Havent been there in years and years. What are they charging?

HMP was trashy. But I dont like 8ths anyway.
This year they started charging $30 to race, it use to be $20.
Yeah, HMP is not in the nicest part of town but it'll be the only one left around here after April next year. There are rumor's that a new 1/4 mile track will be built but don't know which side of town it's gonna be in. I hope it's on the west side for me. :)

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
This year they started charging $30 to race, it use to be $20.
Yeah, HMP is not in the nicest part of town but it'll be the only one left around here after April next year. There are rumor's that a new 1/4 mile track will be built but don't know which side of town it's gonna be in. I hope it's on the west side for me. :)
we went from $25 to $35 last year and they stayed there this year. I understand prices going up after so many years but thought $5 would have been more realistic . Still not bad being most of the time you could get 5-10 runs if you want to

A couple of years ago a guy with a Hellcat was trying to get into the 10's on stock tires. He had to have made 15 passes, never hit a 10. All I thought was what a waste of time. With tires he would have been in the 10's every run.

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #30
Well after all the news coverage & saying the track was closing, now it's been leased another year & will be year to year statis on closing in the future.
Happy to say the least but don't like an uncertain future still sucks.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Man... that's almost as bad as closing in a way. We'll leave this big sword hanging over your head, and tell you at the end of the year each year if we're chopping your pie hole mount off

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #32
That's how it feels, that they'll let us know each year if I can come back & give them more of my money.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
I'm sure the closing announcement brought a lot of $$$$$ attention from Vendors!
Glad to hear you've got another year!

Linda :)