Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Road Racing the beast!

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
Awesome videos! I loved seeing you pull on those Vettes. Looks like a blast! What tires are you running?

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
These vids are so great. I love the telemetry too. Is there any way to show throttle position like you see on Indy sometimes?
Like DGatzby, I have the green throttle bar in my videos. It helps keep me honest when I think I remember being flat through a corner. :cool:

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #23
We are both on R888R's now, I ran 305/35's on the 11" OEM wheels. TD has some custom wheels on his HC. I pulled about the same lap times with my HC on PS4S 285/35's on the OEM 9.5" wheels as I did with the RE stock suspension, with those tires, (same DP brakes/pads), but it has more of a few things in it.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Damn that looks like a lot of fun and really good driving. Loved seeing the Corvette guys move over that’s just classic. For all the naysayers about these cars not hanging with the so called road race cars it’s just truly FAKE NEWS. [raceflag][driving]

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Like DGatzby, I have the green throttle bar in my videos. It helps keep me honest when I think I remember being flat through a corner. :cool:
Duh, I missed that, see it now, tnx!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm going to have to map these braking events into my braking project spreadsheet and extract an energy profile like I did for that other video. Tedious, but it will be interesting to compare.

@TrackDay
@DGatzby

;)

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Thanks for the videos, awesome! I took my new Charger Hellcat on a local mountain run the other day and had a blast. I used to run a little Honda S2000 on these roads and had so much fun. Car was not very powerful but so rewarding when driven well. I didn't think the Hellcat would be much fun, as heavy and big as it is, on the curves. My takeaway was that it is big and heavy but fun as hell! Your track videos make me want to get on a road course with this thing.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
I'm going to have to map these braking events into my braking project spreadsheet and extract an energy profile like I did for that other video. Tedious, but it will be interesting to compare.

@TrackDay
@DGatzby

;)
I'll send you my speed trace when you get back from vacation. This track is much worse on brakes due to the frequency of high speed stops and the speed differential.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #29
@BULL I also have tons of other graphs and data to share if that helps. Got over 100 laps up on the large configuration now. Let me know what you can use.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
@BULL I also have tons of other graphs and data to share if that helps. Got over 100 laps up on the large configuration now. Let me know what you can use.
That was some video! You are the real deal sir.(you USE the car and good driving). But I gotta say, you gotta give it to the C2 also. That guys driving a 63-67 vette with prob no techno gadgetery (Albeit @1000 +l.bs lighter) and WOULD'NT GIVE IT UP! I couldn't tell what it was till you got closer. I thought it was a late model something. Oh, I can hear it now CHEVY GUY!, CHEVY GUY! He's a spy! Lol. Just givin the devil his due. Am I still a member?(Founding member at that).

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #31
That was some video! You are the real deal sir.(you USE the car and good driving). But I gotta say, you gotta give it to the C2 also. That guys driving a 63-67 vette with prob no techno gadgetery (Albeit @1000 +l.bs lighter) and WOULD'NT GIVE IT UP! I couldn't tell what it was till you got closer. I thought it was a late model something. Oh, I can hear it now CHEVY GUY!, CHEVY GUY! He's a spy! Lol. Just givin the devil his due. Am I still a member?(Founding member at that).
Thank you for the complements. The local Vette Club here graciously allows “outsiders” at their rented track days. I have got to know a few of them and like running with them. In most cases I think they could drive them harder. We are driving the snot out of our cars to keep up. It’s challenging, I like it. 06B0741C-95B4-4090-9377-C9CBD134702D.png That little white one is very choice, has plenty of raw power, sounds mean as hell, is outfitted and driven real well. It is bad ass IMO. Here is a better picture to admire.

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Dumb question for you guys regarding tires.

How important is the load index when choosing? Going to need a set over the winter, and I'm debating between the stock size and the 285s.

I noticed the PS4S in 275 are load index of 106 (2094 lbs per tire), but the 285s have a load index of 104 (1984 lb per tire).

Not a huge difference, but some tires I was looking at had 100 (1764 lbs per tire).

The car itself puts nowhere that amount of load on a tire, but if you take into account G forces with road coursing...not sure what should be considered 'getting close to the line'....

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

How important is the load index when choosing? Going to need a set over the winter, and I'm debating between the stock size and the 285s.

I noticed the PS4S in 275 are load index of 106 (2094 lbs per tire), but the 285s have a load index of 104 (1984 lb per tire).

Not a huge difference, but some tires I was looking at had 100 (1764 lbs per tire).

The car itself puts nowhere that amount of load on a tire, but if you take into account G forces with road coursing...not sure what should be considered 'getting close to the line'....

To some extent, this is a little like asking what tire pressure to run I think.

Load-indexing gets de-rated as speed and tire temperature go up...

Tirerack has some info on this, I don't recall the details.

I look at it like this, for a street tire, I wouldn't let a small change bother me too much...

If I'm at 9/10ths or more, I don't know that I would be cheating any aspect of a tire rating...

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #34

I have even a better suggestion in that tire, use the 285/35 up front and put their 295/35 in the back! I agree with @BULL those two you list don't matter that much. They both will work. On the course you will want the pressures in the upper 30's when hot anyway.

I want to find the 315/35 (110Y) in that model this winter to put on some large wheels for some road course workouts.

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye Octane Red
Damn Dave, I really didn't think that I would want to try a road course but, that video gave me a woody.... LOL

Time to reconsider.

Thanks for posting the video. Nice.

OBC

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I have even a better suggestion in that tire, use the 285/35 up front and put their 295/35 in the back! I agree with @BULL those two you list don't matter that much. They both will work. On the course you will want the pressures in the upper 30's when hot anyway.

I want to find the 315/35 (110Y) in that model this winter to put on some large wheels for some road course workouts.
Would those sizes work with the stock rims? I'm not lowered or anything. I would just hate buying those tires and having them shipped, and then finding out they rub.

Interesting suggestion on the pressures. I'll have to give that a try. I've been airing down to around 34 -35 as soon as I'm done with a session, so I'm sure once they cool they are probably down to 31 or so. I'll keep a few more pounds in them next time.

Had a guy introduce himself last week. E93 M3. Gutted interior...full roll cage...all sorts of aero work done to it. "About every bolt on you can do to this engine along with a tune."

So turns out he's in my group. this track is one long straight, and then nothing but hills and turns - more of a Lotus track. Anyhow, he can't shake me in the turns, and I pull HEAVILY on him down the straight. Next lap he puts on his hazards and pulls into the pits.

After the session, he walks over to me and I ask him why he pulled off. Thought he may have had an issue with the car.

"No issues....just trying to get the car sorted...what have you done to yours?"

"Nothing. Legmaker intake so it whistles and a Barton shifter...but that's it. Just your basic Dodge off the lot."

I got the sense that he wasn't too happy with my answer.:p

Point is, these things surprise a lot of people.

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
We will let this thread be our thread about road racing. Show some video, tell us how your car is equipped.

Recent video of my Redeye at BIR long course. HDPE Group A - with the Corvette Club from the Twin Cities. This is the first session, cool morning, first time I had it out on the track. Mods: DP Brakes, Hawk DTC-60/70 pads, R888R 305/35 on 11" OEM rims. DIRS brace, catch can. 93 octane with 8oz Turco Accelerator.

Nice; seems like a great time. Closed the distance on the car ahead of you - know anything about it? What year, etc...? Also, is it just me or when he is entering turn 1 right at the beginning when taps the brakes does he produce a dust cloud?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Latest video from Road America. I was disappointed the group used the bend instead of the high speed kink, but it was a good learning session for my first time at the track.
Such a fun track. Does the camera / software not read 100% throttle, or were you purposefully not tromping it? The green throttle bar never filled completely (that I saw), wondered if it was just calibration becaues it sounded WOT at times, or if you were holding off on the last 5%. Also, were you alone on the track?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #39
Nice; seems like a great time. Closed the distance on the car ahead of you - know anything about it? What year, etc...? Also, is it just me or when he is entering turn 1 right at the beginning when taps the brakes does he produce a dust cloud?
You mean the '67? He has a monster engine, great driver, consistent laps. Next spring I need to find out more. I never saw any white, I'll tell you there are ghosts that I see at the entry of #1, so the last thing I am doing is watching the other guy. I need an instructor up there to cure my little problem next season. They tell me the best laps use no brakes on #1!!! My friend who has a ZR was not on track that day, tells me he uses no brakes and blows through at about a buck thirty! There is tale of one Hellcat that has been through there at that speed. I think that is about at the limit and I don't know if I want to be that close to the edge. Because if I hold that monster long enough, it will be somewhere in excess of the 164 that the HC would do down there. The RE gets down there at faster speeds than the HC and it was freaking me out all day. I never got comfy. So I need a couple of things to tighten up the RE a little and probably different wheels and tires next season also up there. Got more scarey when those racing tires got too hot on the next session when I was chasing again, and it screwed me in the ESS turn. Better there than at those crazy speeds on #1 & 2, where real bad crap can happen.
Damn Dave, I really didn't think that I would want to try a road course but, that video gave me a woody.... LOL

Time to reconsider.

Thanks for posting the video. Nice.

OBC
These are as fun as that looks, go do it!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I was watching your G-meter and it sure jumped over the "maximum skid pad results" from the factory a few times. Looked like fun; jealous.