Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Road Racing the beast!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
We will let this thread be our thread about road racing. Show some video, tell us how your car is equipped.

Recent video of my Redeye at BIR long course. HDPE Group A - with the Corvette Club from the Twin Cities. This is the first session, cool morning, first time I had it out on the track. Mods: DP Brakes, Hawk DTC-60/70 pads, R888R 305/35 on 11" OEM rims. DIRS brace, catch can. 93 octane with 8oz Turco Accelerator.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Very interesting. Looks like a lot of fun.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Very interesting. Looks like a lot of fun.
This unit is wild in monster mode. It has plenty of torque all the time. I need to tighten it up this winter. It is a lot of fun for about a 15 minute session. Where else can you just run one to its max, all a guy will dare anyway? I think more people should go out and lap them.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Too many people buy the hype that it's too heavy to do well on a road course. It's really unfortunate because they are a blast, especially on higher speed tracks.

Doc B

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ripon
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
Too many people buy the hype that it's too heavy to do well on a road course. It's really unfortunate because they are a blast, especially on higher speed tracks.
Trackday, did you make it to RA last weekend?

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Nice! Fun to have someone to chase.

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
I can't wait until I have my car....b/c I plan to do this 1 to 2 times a year at Watkins Glen International, which is only about a 2 hr drive from here or so....That road course is perfect for these cars if you take the Nascar configuration, lots of straightaway. I bet the added boot configuration for the old Formula 1 and now the sport cars and recently the Indy cars used the full track, that would be fun too but there are some tighter turns there.....Still I think that track would be a good place for these cars to shine.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Trackday, did you make it to RA last weekend?
Yep. It was a lot of fun. Very hard on brakes though. I faded my pads in the 2nd session after I started getting more aggressive with braking points. There are 3 straights with about 150 mph terminal speeds each lap and each of them have 90 deg turns at the end.
I'll be back next year for sure but I'm not sure what pad I can get that handles higher temperatures. I run the DTC60 and the 70 has a very similar drop-off point. I know a ZL1 1LE owner who uses 80s on the front but I don't see that pad for our cars yet.

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
Yep. It was a lot of fun. Very hard on brakes though. I faded my pads in the 2nd session after I started getting more aggressive with braking points. There are 3 straights with about 150 mph terminal speeds each lap and each of them have 90 deg turns at the end.
I'll be back next year for sure but I'm not sure what pad I can get that handles higher temperatures. I run the DTC60 and the 70 has a very similar drop-off point. I know a ZL1 1LE owner who uses 80s on the front but I don't see that pad for our cars yet.
Interesting, are those pads actually better performance than the Brembo pads? I know a lot of people swap them out for dust issues but I was under the impression that performance-wise they are hard to top? Is that just not true?

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Interesting, are those pads actually better performance than the Brembo pads? I know a lot of people swap them out for dust issues but I was under the impression that performance-wise they are hard to top? Is that just not true?
For track only the Hawk DTC60 and DTC70 are very serious improvements over our stock pads. They are not for street daily use though. The temperature operation band is shifted higher and they will wear rotors faster. The dust is pretty horrendous too. But... if you want to stop like a Porsche these pads will do it.

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
For track only the Hawk DTC60 and DTC70 are very serious improvements over our stock pads. They are not for street daily use though. The temperature operation band is shifted higher and they will wear rotors faster. The dust is pretty horrendous too. But... if you want to stop like a Porsche these pads will do it.
Thanks for the info

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Latest video from Road America. I was disappointed the group used the bend instead of the high speed kink, but it was a good learning session for my first time at the track.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
We will let this thread be our thread about road racing. Show some video, tell us how your car is equipped.

Recent video of my Redeye at BIR long course. HDPE Group A - with the Corvette Club from the Twin Cities. This is the first session, cool morning, first time I had it out on the track. Mods: DP Brakes, Hawk DTC-60/70 pads, R888R 305/35 on 11" OEM rims. DIRS brace, catch can. 93 octane with 8oz Turco Accelerator.

Now THAT was cool to see!

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Latest video from Road America. I was disappointed the group used the bend instead of the high speed kink, but it was a good learning session for my first time at the track.
That was ALSO really cool to see.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
Thanks @Hunter these big heavy things don't really do well, and they are no fun to drive, we just speed up the videos and doctor them up before we post them.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thanks @Hunter these big heavy things don't really do well, and they are no fun to drive, we just speed up the videos and doctor them up before we post them.
Now that's funny.
Almost hurt my feelings, cuz I now know you will lie to me.:unsure:

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
I am having a blast thinking which one of these to use next.

[nutkick]

RedEye19FL

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradenton
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 TorRed Challenger RedEye
Loved the vids. Thanks for sharing. Now, if only I could get my RedEye out of the body shop...…...

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
These vids are so great. I love the telemetry too. Is there any way to show throttle position like you see on Indy sometimes?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
On mine the green on "pedals" shows the throttle. You can listen and get a better idea of the throttle. Believe me, you need to roll it. Not much if any stabbing that accelerator. Also my "pedals" indicator does not look like is not sync'ed real perfect either. The RE seems to have an even more sensitive 80-100% where it may take the lower gear. The HC did it also, but the bit more power seems like it makes it more pronounced. You need to make sure you are tracking straight before putting it at 100% anytime. Much like people say they feel on the street, otherwise they describe sideways stuff. At BIR that extra downshift happens to me at 1-2 (coming thru #1 too damn slow) and btw 8-10 (depending on when I think the damn bridge foundation will not jump out and kill me) a bit.