Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Road Course Videos

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thread Starter #41
Those rear tires look impressive.
Thats killer
Nice work
Thanks everyone. TD confirmation of what we thought, those suckers are straight & flat on the ground in a corner. Ha, that front end is another story.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
MVP hates Challengers because some ass came in a couple of years ago, entered advanced and caused a mess. Oh well, point byes are good passing practice. The Redeye was working great. Ha, at least on Saturday.
I had talked to that driver and he told me the advanced group was filled up and the only slot available was in the intermediate group. That guy was fast as HELL kind of explains why he was blowing by everyone.

Getting all I can out of it!! Just got the pictures from RA.

Damn, only using half of that right front tire!!
That's a pretty cool picture of the RedEye cutting corner #14 , getting ready for the blast up the 75' hill climb on the front straight. [twothumb]

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #43
Thanks! Next year we will talk about what group we want to join at RA. Again this year, I was inappropriately Black Flagged by the MVP over active desires to fuck with people. Unless you drive a BMW.

He started his lecture telling me how I was holding up several racers! First black flag I saw was the starter holding it laterally. What does that mean? Course black flag, if at all stations. He was not pointing or waving it. So being a real safe driver, I shut it down in search of more info. So with others entirely ignoring it, (me? SCCA certified Comp License among lots of track miles as you know; the others?), I could only point others around on my right. I said to him, just stop it. Now, tell me why TF I was originally Black Flagged. Great! Said I passed a car in #1. Give me a break!!

WTF, I said alright, I have been to the briefings, the threats etc. let’s go look at your damn movies you say you have and I want to see myself pass someone in #1, because IT DID NOT HAPPEN. There was a Camaro on course with nearly identical colors, especially on a cloudy day. I had the black wheels on my car and not the silver as the day before. Then I INSTRUCTED him on why after seeing the first lateral black, not waving or pointing at me and why at that point I shut down my car. He backed off, allowed me to continue, I pitted and was pissed.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
The folks manning the stations are actually Road America employees / officials that MVP hires to control the course. All the decisions come down from the tower that have cameras all over that course. I found that out when they black flagged me on the first lap for scrubbing my tires on pit out OOOPPPS ! The LED sign at #14 had your number on it meaning you needed to pit

If you ever get a chance take a visit to the tower it's worth it ! Every inch of the track and paddock are covered by one camera or another .

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #45
The folks manning the stations are actually Road America employees / officials that MVP hires to control the course. All the decisions come down from the tower that have cameras all over that course. I found that out when they black flagged me on the first lap for scrubbing my tires on pit out OOOPPPS ! The LED sign at #14 had your number on it meaning you needed to pit

If you ever get a chance take a visit to the tower it's worth it ! Every inch of the track and paddock are covered by one camera or another .
I know, but on that little screen someone could not tell a Camaro from a Challenger. I was not looking for numbers at #14, because as you know I am a saint on course:unsure::unsure:

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
There is a definite contrast at Road America vs. most other courses I've been to. The workers take their job very seriously and maybe too much so for a HPDE environment.
I had an encounter in my very first session there 2 years ago and on the next session they held me in the pits for 10 minutes as punishment. I was pretty mad they were costing me track time I had paid for. I knew there was nothing I could do though and just have never been back to one of their events. I go with other clubs now that at least make some of the profit.
Regarding MVP I get the impression they are a good quality org. All of my friends there run in intermediate. Advanced seems to run race pace. If you're not in the mid to low 2:3x times on the Kink course you're a moving road block. I can run a 2:39 but the brakes can't take a series of laps at that pace.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
Myron apparently hurt his engine - 1 of the 2 white Camaros. BTW, your car makes several appearances in Luan's videos.
The maker of the video mentioned that Chevrolet's warranty covers closed track mechanical issues. That's a selling point right there - being up front about it.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Waxhaw
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye

VIR

Member ID
Reactions
City
Waxhaw
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle

CMP

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Udaloy, you ex navy? Curious bc of the handle.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Waxhaw
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
And now for something completely different . . . Hellcat on a Little Track :D
My son and I drove the car with the new Toyo 315/30RR tires and Viper calipers to make sure everything was up to snuff before taking it to the bigger tracks.
The car held its own even though this is a small police training facility and autox speed track.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #53
My son and I drove the car with the new Toyo 315/30RR tires and Viper calipers to make sure everything was up to snuff before taking it to the bigger tracks.
The car held its own even though this is a small police training facility and autox speed track.
Nice, go do us proud up at BIR. Sorry I have to miss it. I see he put even a different configuration on it for that day.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
Nice driving! How do you like the look of the 315/30 tires at all four corners? Are they on stock size rims?

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Nice driving! How do you like the look of the 315/30 tires at all four corners? Are they on stock size rims?
I don't have a widebody, so no, the wheels aren't stock. 😉 I have fit 11in rear and 10.5in ft front wheels. I'd say the tires poke out now maybe a quarter of an inch. It's not much at all. I'm using all the interior real estate I can.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
My son driving the car on the Brainerd long course. He's young and brave at corner exit, more so than me. I thought he might be, so we had Haggerty Insurance. ;) This run on Sunday morning is about 2 seconds faster than I went on Friday. Friday I focused on turning consistent laps and making sure the car was safe and had no issues. We also zeroed in on the best tire pressures. Saturday my son went .2 seconds faster than my Friday best and we compared data from the AIM Solo. In sections where I was faster we figured out how, and he took that on Sunday, bumped up the Turn 1 speed, and got on the throttle sooner from most corners. Voila, another 1.5 sec drop from Saturday.
1:49.8 is a time I'm jealous of.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Wait, you mean that miata couldn't take you?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
My son driving the car on the Brainerd long course. He's young and brave at corner exit, more so than me. I thought he might be, so we had Haggerty Insurance. ;) This run on Sunday morning is about 2 seconds faster than I went on Friday. Friday I focused on turning consistent laps and making sure the car was safe and had no issues. We also zeroed in on the best tire pressures. Saturday my son went .2 seconds faster than my Friday best and we compared data from the AIM Solo. In sections where I was faster we figured out how, and he took that on Sunday, bumped up the Turn 1 speed, and got on the throttle sooner from most corners. Voila, another 1.5 sec drop from Saturday.
How comfortable was he feeling with those changes? Did he feel he was on the edge of the envelope? Or was still well within the capabilities of the car?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #59
Young has no fear! He did wax it. He also went through the ESS’s at goofy speed, he made some time through there for sure, and ripped 11-12 with absolutely not a care regarding the rough surface. Yep, that nets sub 1:50, great job. Your car is also working well, nice work there.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
How comfortable was he feeling with those changes? Did he feel he was on the edge of the envelope? Or was still well within the capabilities of the car?
He feels there is another second if he "time attacked" it but that's not what this car is for. 😉
He was not using all the road and we both feel there is a little more in Turn 1, so maybe a half second more without truly going for it.
The question is what winter mods? Already in plan are 11in front and 12in rear wheels with 315 front and 325 rear tires, most likely keeping the Toyo RR. Maybe the PS2.
More downforce to hold speed in Turn 1 and 2? Wing? I've been holding off on doing that but it might be fun.
Add 100 HP?
We also plan to add a passenger harness and give thrill rides next year. Even at a German car event people love this car. The sounds it makes are intoxicating.