Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

PUP 0w-40 vs. PUP Euro 0w-40

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Point of reference:

My latest Blackstone report

Attachments

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Point of reference:

My latest Blackstone report
Thanks @BULL. Was going to post mine tomorrow for reference. Night.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
M1 Euro 0w-40. Just like they did before the bankruptcy and Mobil got screwed out of a TON of money.
This is exactly the main reason I use Mobil 1. It's not that I feel Pennzoil is inferior, it's that Mobil 1 has years of proven history in our engines. This is not limited to street. Do a little history check and research and you will see Mobil 1 has been torture tested in our engines for many years. What FCA did to ExxonMobil was just wrong, and on so many levels.

Meh any good brand synthetic of proper viscosity will keep these engines purring for a loooong time. Don't over think it.
Agreed. Sadly I've done more research into this than I care to admit. I probably took the MS-12633 research to an unhealthy level. My findings are it's complete B.S. I challenge anyone here to please prove me wrong. MS-12633 is nothing more than an mild endurance test that any brand of oil could pass. Including a Walmart 0w40.

The price however to submit your oil to Royal Dutch Shell labs just to take the Test (I use the word Test loosely) is insane. To add insult to injury for FCA to make ExxonMobil jump the hoops, just because they hopped into bed with Royal Dutch Shell after the Bankruptcy was beyond a slap in the face.

It's not hard to wonder why ExxonMobil has basically flipped FCA the bird at this point. Honestly I respect them even more because of it.

Point of reference: My latest Blackstone report
LOL, Damn Bull put some miles on that oil...In all seriousness I know in your case those miles are some "hard miles" between changes.

Lastly, Don't underestimate the resiliency of the combustion engine. You would have to subject it to some series neglect to have oil be the contributing factor for failure. While in the service, driving to Vegas we acquired a pea sized hole in the bottom of the oil pan of a VW. With limited resources we were stuck with patching that hole with a piece of chewing gum and Duct tape. Filled it with 5 quarts of Prestone antifreeze, and drove 40+ miles in 110 degree heat to the next service station for repairs.

That car went another 30k miles and was sold when the owner got stationed over seas and I saw it cruising the post until I ETA'd. :)

Here is my Blackstone report using only Mobil 1:
Oil.jpg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
This is exactly the main reason I use Mobil 1. It's not that I feel Pennzoil is inferior, it's that Mobil 1 has years of proven history in our engines. This is not limited to street. Do a little history check and research and you will see Mobil 1 has been torture tested in our engines for many years. What FCA did to ExxonMobil was just wrong, and on so many levels.

Agreed. Sadly I've done more research into this than I care to admit. I probably took the MS-12633 research to an unhealthy level. My findings are it's complete B.S. I challenge anyone here to please prove me wrong. MS-12633 is nothing more than an mild endurance test that any brand of oil could pass. Including a Walmart 0w40.

The price however to submit your oil to Royal Dutch Shell labs just to take the Test (I use the word Test loosely) is insane. To add insult to injury for FCA to make ExxonMobil jump the hoops, just because they hopped into bed with Royal Dutch Shell after the Bankruptcy was beyond a slap in the face.

It's not hard to wonder why ExxonMobil has basically flipped FCA the bird at this point. Honestly I respect them even more because of it.

LOL, Damn Bull put some miles on that oil...In all seriousness I know in your case those miles are some "hard miles" between changes.

Lastly, Don't underestimate the resiliency of the combustion engine. You would have to subject it to some series neglect to have oil be the contributing factor for failure. While in the service, driving to Vegas we acquired a pea sized hole in the bottom of the oil pan of a VW. With limited resources we were stuck with patching that hole with a piece of chewing gum and Duct tape. Filled it with 5 quarts of Prestone antifreeze, and drove 40+ miles in 110 degree heat to the next service station for repairs.

That car went another 30k miles and was sold when the owner got stationed over seas and I saw it cruising the post until I ETA'd. :)

Here is my Blackstone report using only Mobil 1:
View attachment 25713

It was that stupidly low mileage that made me keep putting off what would have been also "only" a six-month change, but I kept saying to myself, I've only got two miles on the oil, it's fine... Then I finally got two a point where I didn't want to be doing it during the "cold" months, bla bla bla...

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
So, what is the difference with these? I read up on this about 3 years ago but don't remember specifically. There were some slight differences and I'm about to buy a few cases of oil, so school me those in the know.
It's about the SAPS this is info about the Euro oil 0w40
https://www.amsoil.com/p/sae-0w-40-fs-synthetic-european-motor-oil-efo/?zo=5014722
This is info on the FCA spec
https://www.amsoil.com/p/signature-series-0w-40-synthetic-motor-oil-azf/?zo=5014722
I still don't understand why people would spend 70+k on a car and try and save some money on just good enough oil. If you dig deeper on their website you can find more tech info.
TB

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
You All might want to watch this as well

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #28
I meant the specific formulation difference in PUP vs EPUP but still interesting.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Trucker must have a vested interest in Amsoil.

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
I still don't understand why people would spend 70+k on a car and try and save some money on just good enough oil.
Hello Sir,
It's all a matter of perspective. I don't understand why people pay $70+k for a car you can get for $50+k. Well in my case anyway. Granted it had a whopping 700 miles on it. :)

As far as oil, for the life of me I don't understand why people pay $2+ more per quart for an oil I feel is lesser in quality with very little history, and you have to hunt for. When you can get a higher quality oil with a proven history, cheaper all day long at Walmart. *Shrugs*

Personal Preference I guess.

Wizza

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Would bet depending on how often someone changes their oil that either would work. Noticed last time mine was only at like 33 percent remaining and oil looked pretty good I thought.

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
Hello Sir,
It's all a matter of perspective. I don't understand why people pay $70+k for a car you can get for $50+k. Well in my case anyway. Granted it had a whopping 700 miles on it. :)

As far as oil, for the life of me I don't understand why people pay $2+ more per quart for an oil I feel is lesser in quality with very little history, and you have to hunt for. When you can get a higher quality oil with a proven history, cheaper all day long at Walmart. *Shrugs*

Personal Preference I guess.
The first in synthetic oil 1972 and you don't have to look for it, it ships right to your door. For $2 more I only change once a driving season
https://www.amsoil.com/offers/pc/?zo=5014722

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6