Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

One Thing About A Dodge Hellcat Should Really Scare You

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
That was my whole point,, back in the 70's it was up to the individuals,, still running 600 hp 4 speed crazy rear end,,, road runners, 396 's, GTO,s Mach 1's, 64 Chevy's 4 barrels, Challengers,,,,, still seem in the parking lots at high school. Bet a but on a dollar 90% of these people are still alive. Not gone due to the cars. Intelligent and in control. 2 things back then, cars #1 and girl friend #2. Onlly reason,, didn't have a great car you didn't get #2. Not to speak the 1st out white Monte Carlo, then 2 years later the black Monte Carlo. Then the new Camaros , RS to SS to the Mach1s with the GTOs and Stang 350 and 500's. All my friends went to Nam to come back to their one and on lies. I got to maintain most of em cause I was 2 years earlier than the draft. I was very rewarded by wine bottles of pot sent over waxed over for smell. Did not care about the pot. Let me drive at 16.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Cut and paste w/ CTS-V, ZL-1, GT500, GT350, Raptor, Ms, AMGs, RSs, etc, etc......

WE ALL GON' DIE!!!!!!!! [wave] [hatchet]

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Cut and paste w/ CTS-V, ZL-1, GT500, GT350, Raptor, Ms, AMGs, RSs, etc, etc......

WE ALL GON' DIE!!!!!!!! [wave][hatchet]
I think the key point here is the hellcat is "undertired" from the factory, also expensive repairs will keep young kids away from the germans. It's an interesting point but it's just a bunch of bs imo. Most of these cars stay above 20k, i.e e55, e63, e60 m5, zr1, etc etc

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Nah, the key point is HP per dollar after depreciation has really taken its toll. Why do you think there are so many fun (or sad depending on one's perspective) Mustang C&C fail vids? Easily affordable HP that many younger drivers don't know how to handle when things go sideways. (literally!) And Zee Germans are the kings of depriciation, so there's a ton of cheap Teutonic HP out there. You're right its expensive to fix, but most buyers never think that far ahead. We'll see in time if Hellcats reach the C&C body count status that the Mustang enjoys so much now.

Who am I kidding? We'll all be in boring autonomous transport pods by time the HCs reach the bottom of the depreciation curve!

Yoguard

Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat
@Hickster, I believe the main point of the article is that with so much horsepower available to the novice driver, the likelihood of getting in to trouble with all that power at their right foot will greatly increase.

Power in the hands of the inexperienced is a recipe for disaster. :cautious:

Reaction time is a big factor with accidents and with a 700+ horsepower vehicle, that reaction time will be much less than on a moped or that standard old Jeep (not the TrackHawk variety).

Just saying... :unsure:
They are giving licenses to illegals. You think that a young or old driver in a Hellcat is any worse behind the wheel than one of those
illiterates. In NY & I imagine many other states, the minimum liability insurance is 10K, not near enough to cover your medical, car, loss of work, etc. This is why we carry high coverages. A younger 3rd owner of a Hellcat, the ins companies will make ins unaffordable for them. Young people have always had a higher percentage of accidents, no matter what type of vehicle they drive. Don't worry about that young person driving a powerful car, worry about the a-hole that will kill you and the courts will release them from jail w/o having to post bail! Gone back to their country, never to be seen again. Stay alert, the roads have never been so dangerous as they are now...

Yoguard

Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat
I think the article is spot on and was always a concern of mine. This was also discussed on the other forum a few times. There are already enough young knuckleheads who own 392's in my area who play pole position daily. :(

Well, your in Commiefornia, where cars will soon be history. Your govt will soon drive out what's left of the middle class and they can then use the streets for homeless housing....

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Well, your in Commiefornia, where cars will soon be history. Your govt will soon drive out what's left of the middle class and they can then use the streets for homeless housing....
New York isn't much better... [dunno]

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
This article could also have been written when the '03 Cobra came out. It was stupid fast at the time, and a dream car for most. Now we have the Hellcat that makes almost as much power in valet mode as the Cobra did at the crank. The Hellcat will be "slow" and old news soon enough. We are all just lucky to own the "it" car for now, but like all things its day will come and go, then on to the next big thing. Imagine those kids in the late 50's 3rd owner of that hot 85HP flathead V-8 Ford. Not a big deal after all, same goes for every car into the future.....

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Article seems like click bait. Doug Demuro wrote essentially the same thing back in 2015

https://jalopnik.com/the-scariest-thing-about-the-hellcat-is-the-third-owner-1745483727
I knew I read the same article from somewhere! Doug was overly optimistic about these hellcats losing value and getting into the hands of inexperience drivers (somewhat technically true I guess). I feel like Doug's article could be insuating that the hellcats will go the way of Subaru WRX's which is high insurance cost and tons of wrecks and tickets and what not.

Hellcats, even brand new, are being picked up by novice drivers I feel like. especially with all these discounts going on. My local dodge salesman leases an octane edition 2019 charger HC. I know damn well he can't afford that but he has it anyways because of the discounts. He's also a pretty young guy around my age and a douche. Literally tried to sell me a marked up 2019 charger, when I already have one, and buy the widebody add ons to make it a 2020 [screwy]

Yoguard

Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

Okay, but this can apply to ANY car, even just plain old Honda Camries.... Jerk off Vettes and crowd loving Mustangs too. everytime we get on the road you're taking your life in your hands and tossing it to all the other idiots on the road. It's all probabilities. Like my anesthesiologist friend and I discussed - those little percentages all add up in the end. Keep them on your side. (whenever undergoing surgeries, I always take steps to make myself, or my friend/family member, a person to the staff and the doctors - trust me, it matters; then I also query the anesthesiologists on, for example, pediatric anesthesiology 101 and what emergency procedures are in place - for example, glad you'll only be feet away, but what is the plan if two theaters have adverse reactions simultaneously - I'm not a dick about it, and most docs have actually said they felt the talk was beneificial for them as well as it made them think through the procedures again before hand; anesthesia is the greatest risk area, and any little bit I can do to lean a few percentage points one way, I'll do)

OP
OLDBAYCRAB

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye Octane Red
Thread Starter #32

WE ALL GON' DIE!!!!!!!! [wave][hatchet]
I think that has happened already for me. I believe I'm in the decay phase of death now. :LOL:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Sitting home for a couple of weeks recovering from this little procedure got me so bored of regular TV, I began watching YouTube videos of car wrecks filmed from dash cams. Damn!! Anyone else watch some of those? I have told the Mrs the RE can just sit in the garage and I'll just run it on the road courses, where it looks infinitely more safe. I may not need to use it on a public street again!

I mean awful stupid stuff takes place. Seemed like the most common problem occurs when someone passes on the left, things go way bad right after, especially if it is slick. Video after video of vehicles in a quick oversteer for some reason they think they must immediately return to the right lanes. Always bad spins, followed by carnage. Or the left turn or head on unexplained stuff. Worse, lots of just sitting at a stoplight or in traffic when someone gets way out of control and crashes into many other non-participants of the direct wreck.

I am driving the DD Tahoe with more caution of others after watching that stuff. Will I ride my motorcycle again?? I am thinking hard on that one too.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Gatzby,, hope your are feel I better. I go next week again. See boys and girls what you have to look into the crystal boob when you get over 85,, or 86?? Can't remember where the side of the foot of the high heal to take off 1st. Kids and HP,, kids and guns?? Parents responsibility or family members to kick in like bros and cousins. Groining up in Tenn we all took it under the families control to police them selves. Driving a 1963 Barracuda at 14 and shooting guns out the back yard at 8. I was not born with the knowledge of such unless training. These kids today have no upper knowledgeable persons to learn em. Sneak the car out and see wat it does. Killssome one. No lets take out a 285 HP 3 speed for a 15 minute trip to the river. A bit more these days. Insurance Companies,, bad news. HP goes up every year.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
That is a scary thought on the third owner , guess I'm good since I'm 1st owner, :rolleyes:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Read that same article or one like it a few years ago. My first thought was the kids that started buying the Grand Prix's 20 years ago and we were hearing of reckless driving and crashes all the time. The Hellcats will be on another level when you can start buying them for under 40k

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Gatzby,, hope your are feel I better. I go next week again. See boys and girls what you have to look into the crystal boob when you get over 85,, or 86?? Can't remember where the side of the foot of the high heal to take off 1st. Kids and HP,, kids and guns?? Parents responsibility or family members to kick in like bros and cousins. Groining up in Tenn we all took it under the families control to police them selves. Driving a 1963 Barracuda at 14 and shooting guns out the back yard at 8. I was not born with the knowledge of such unless training. These kids today have no upper knowledgeable persons to learn em. Sneak the car out and see wat it does. Killssome one. No lets take out a 285 HP 3 speed for a 15 minute trip to the river. A bit more these days. Insurance Companies,, bad news. HP goes up every year.
I am doing much better, thanks. The nerve seems much more happy, the hand is feeling more strong and I am even driving with two hands now! The RE is scared of me again, I heard it weeping in the garage last night.

OP
OLDBAYCRAB

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye Octane Red
Thread Starter #38
I am doing much better, thanks. The nerve seems much more happy, the hand is feeling more strong and I am even driving with two hands now! The RE is scared of me again, I heard it weeping in the garage last night.
get well soon.gif

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
This article could also have been written when the '03 Cobra came out. It was stupid fast at the time, and a dream car for most. Now we have the Hellcat that makes almost as much power in valet mode as the Cobra did at the crank. The Hellcat will be "slow" and old news soon enough. We are all just lucky to own the "it" car for now, but like all things its day will come and go, then on to the next big thing. Imagine those kids in the late 50's 3rd owner of that hot 85HP flathead V-8 Ford. Not a big deal after all, same goes for every car into the future.....
I was one of the third owners of the old Fords with flat heads. We were all installing Cadillac engines in them.:cool::)

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Sounds like the story of chicken little

A inexperienced driver can get in just as much trouble in a mustang gt or camaro ss

Is anyone crying "the sky is falling" because of the high acceleration of the "green" tesla vehicle's? I'm not hearing any.

Just sounds like a liberal point of view