Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Octanium Unleaded the real deal or stick with 100 octane fuel?

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I’ve

I’ve used Boostane in both the Hellcat and the Redeye for several years with no issues. Use just enough in both cars to get our shitty 91 octane to 93. The performance improvement has been documented with data logging and tuning. Not once have I seen a CEL even with OAT at 115 degrees.
Me neither, loved the stuff, it works, I’ve proven it and posted data showing it does, but seeing this in the valves I’m glad I can get away from using it any more running corn.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Me neither, loved the stuff, it works, I’ve proven it and posted data showing it does, but seeing this in the valves I’m glad I can get away from using it any more running corn.
I'm lookingoking at flex fuel tune.
15gal pale of E85 is 215$. So not exactly cheap.😟

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I’m out. Great info. Here are the tail pipes after a day of WOT on a road course.

D7316BE6-C273-4A79-B73E-D3242334A47B.jpeg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm lookingoking at flex fuel tune.
15gal pale of E85 is 215$. So not exactly cheap.😟

Hmmmm....

An ingenious guy could come up with a pretty basic system to "refine" pump E85 into actual E85 or even E90, could he not?

Think of it as testing, but on a larger scale...

Am I missing something here?

Go to the pumps with your pickup, put what you needed for the weekend into your cans, take it home, process it into the percentage you want.

:unsure:

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Hmmmm....

An ingenious guy could come up with a pretty basic system to "refine" pump E85 into actual E85 or even E90, could he not?

Think of it as testing, but on a larger scale...

Am I missing something here?

Go to the pumps with your pickup, put what you needed for the weekend into your cans, take it home, process it into the percentage you want.

:unsure:
That would work great if there was actually E85 pumps up here.
I heard there was one in Ottawa about 1.5 hours away. Sadly that pump is apparently now a diesel pump.
So my choice is something like MS109 at $210@5gal or going with flex fuel tune and E85 or E98 @215 for 15gal.

I saw you are looking at doing similar to what I am thinking about.
Thanks to the shipping, exchange on the $ and duty/brokerage and taxes. You can add about 50-60% to the cost of the tune and fuel upgrades.😱

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'm out on any of these MET additives after seeing @16GoManGoHC2 valves. YUCK.

I'm all ears on getting pump E to E85. It's E72 around here right now, which is still very good but for testing I'd like to have it full on E85.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm out on any of these MET additives after seeing @16GoManGoHC2 valves. YUCK.

I'm all ears on getting pump E to E85. It's E72 around here right now, which is still very good but for testing I'd like to have it full on E85.

The more I think about my concept, it's not the sort of thing I'd want to do in a garage. I'd want to be out in a barn or something.

The idea is something like the old time glass gas pumps. Put 15 gallons in a container, let it set, then pull of enough of the "gas" from the "E" to end up with E85.

Is that crazy thinking?

'Not the sort of thing to spread around the 'hood. You wouldn't want to explain to the fire department why you were refining fuel in your shed.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Nothing to see here, these aren't the carbon chains you're looking for lol

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Ok, here’s the news. I’ve used a qt of Octanium Unleaded per 15-17 gallons of fuel religiously for about 8000 miles over 2 years switching to corn around Sept for 2000 miles since using any 93 with Octanium. I’ve read and heard corn cleans things up, well I don’t think it touches whatever residue Octanium leaves as 2000+ miles of aggressive corn fed driving doesn’t look like it’s removed anything, in fact I tried a few different very potent industrial licensed only solvents on the residue and nothing short of mechanical action (abrasive products) removed it. Ok, I have posted pictures in the past of spark plugs that don’t look too bad, O2 sensors that don’t look too bad, exhaust header interiors that don’t look too bad, mostly parts that would be easy and cheap to change even if they did look bad but they where being used as a gauge for what it may be leaving on components such as pistons and valves that aren’t cheap or easy to change. Well I tore my engine down this winter and noticed the valves looked pretty crummy, like rust on them but knew it was MMT residue, no biggie. So I figured I’d clean them up in place since they had perfect seal. Looking at them big ol intake valves they looked like a flat top valve not allot of build up on them and the exhaust valve looked the same, flat top but a smooth thin coating of ugly rusty looking MMT on them. So I tried getting it off, no chemical touched the stuff, not even soaking on it over night. So out came the dremel with a fine sanding disk, came off the intake valve easily. So on to a exhaust valve, well turns out the exhaust valve isn’t flat topped like the intake it has a deep tulip shape to it and was completely filled with MMT like it was spray welded in there. Was a REAL PITA to remove it too, took like 10-15 discs per valve and about 2 hours or so per cylinder to get the crap out of them and polish everything clean again. That filled in space had to up the CR by making a smaller squish area leading to possible increased chances of detonation maybe even? Bottom line I won’t use it any more, glad I’m on corn now and won’t have to, but I wonder what others like Torco which is nasty as hell MMT wise but works the best has been doing to the inside of my Capri’s 302?? I only use it in it when I’m planning on spraying it so it doesn’t have cases through it like my cat had. Sooooo I have to un-endorse my recommendation of using Octanium Unleaded based on these findings. Look at the pictures below and judge for yourself’s your continued use or not.
View attachment 39790 View attachment 39791 View attachment 39792 View attachment 39793
Great info and pics as usual. Thanks!. From the looks of the 3rd pic down it turns your heads pink too! :LOL: