Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New Lower Pulley Idea

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I nominate moparjim to do this mod! I will data log everything at the track .....

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Member ID
Reactions
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
That’s why I’m still stock and would modify my car next year when my warranty is over :p:p

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
I do like the pulley idea but I'm not sold on its claims yet. I'm waiting for some track times.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
I do like the pulley idea but I'm not sold on its claims yet. I'm waiting for some track times.
I agree with you on a couple of your posts.

I'm not sure either how in time this will work without a Tune over time.
The 1st thing that was used for Tuning on my Hellcat Charger was the ATI 10% overdrive pulley when we started the R&D and T&T of Diablo and parts. In time they found the Upper pulley could be used.
Although I have been very happy with both the lower and upper pulley, they seem to work together very well.

I agree if they look hard enough they will be able to figure out something is up. An untuned cat shouldn't be seeing 12psi in the summer for instance.
I also wonder with the extra PSI if a race fuel will need to be added for safety of the engine in the summer or high altitudes? These answers I guess as they are sold over time will come from members posting up.

I do like new products being brought along.

When Josh asked me if I wanted to Tune my HC Charger I could not have done it if I did not have all the confidence in him that I did, especially since I was breaking my warranty.
The HHP/HemiTuner Tuning together started all the change.
Their knowledge and years of experience means more to me then having an incognito pulley.

So those of you who will be part of the R&D and T&T please post your results.

Linda
[burnout][burnout]

Last edited:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Nice sentiment, but I can tell you from FB already their are plenty of people interested in this just to try and hide their mod(s) to keep warranty. If there is a market for it, someone will make it. This is why dealers/manufacturers can be a pain to deal with. Can't really blame them for going void warranty crazy when there are so many people that want to hide things. People have been doing it for years and years though. It won't change. Manufacturers have just made it harder to hide it, and so aftermarket has to find new ways to get around it.

Personally I don't want to risk it, get caught and then have my dealer not trust anything I bring in to them. They treat me well, so I'd rather be honest and get the same respect in return.

Plus if someone really wanted to notice this mod, it's possible. You have to use the green gates belts and this mod is bound to get to dealers eventually, so they know what to look for. They'd have to take the entire mod back off to try and hide it more.

Plus I still think you should tune when you change a pulley size. I wouldn't trust the car enough to compensate for the boost change. That and why not just say screw it and get the most out of your mods by tuning! Too many people try and push pump gas too far imo.
Yeah I know I had to threw that little rant out there . I find it frustrating. When people cheat on any thing it makes it harder for the rest of us who follow the rules . Plus it's also one of the reasons our cars cost so much . I see it all the time in my business.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
There is an upper pulley that’s out with the same power and no-tune claims. The motor doesn’t care which pulley made the boost. It sounds like there is enough overhead in the tune to manage a couple extra PSI, doesn’t surprise me a bit.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Campbellsville
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 hellcat challenger
Yes idk if I will do anything to my hellcat besides some racing wheels and driveshaft because I have a 5yr warranty! No reason to void warranty because wasn't cheap to get it added on

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I just want to add a little power to see what we would get. Then after a couple of weeks put back to original.
I would remove it for later once I get some data.
I would like to add a little power to show the that's impossible crowd. LOL
I'm not done running stock power yet. But curiosity is getting the best of me.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I just want to add a little power to see what we would get. Then after a couple of weeks put back to original.
I would remove it for later once I get some data.
I would like to add a little power to show the that's impossible crowd. LOL
I'm not done running stock power yet. But curiosity is getting the best of me.
Jim I want to data log it when we run . I'm curious to see this pulley .

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
There is an upper pulley that’s out with the same power and no-tune claims. The motor doesn’t care which pulley made the boost. It sounds like there is enough overhead in the tune to manage a couple extra PSI, doesn’t surprise me a bit.
Correct, the 3.17 pulley. However, Ripa is saying this new lower pulley of his is easier to install than the upper 3.17. Personally I'd do the upper 3.17 first before this one, since Litens makes the stock pulley.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I’d absolutely do this lower before an upper. The upper stays stock, so no worries about who makes it. Ease of install and ability to remove for resale are major benefits.

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Thread Starter #52
I have a seven year extended bumper-to-bumper warranty so I'll probably be buying one of these second hand.

Dodge can pay for my new diffs, axles, and driveshafts. Since I won't be buying those supporting mods new either. That warranty will pay for itself in no time! ;)

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I have a seven year extended bumper-to-bumper warranty so I'll probably be buying one of these second hand.

Dodge can pay for my new diffs, axles, and driveshafts. Since I won't be buying those supporting mods new either. That warranty will pay for itself in no time! ;)
But the inconvenience of being broken down, towed, no vehicle for months ...... Plus Chevy and Ford guys laughing at us for breaking ...

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Thread Starter #54
But the inconvenience of being broken down, towed, no vehicle for months ...... Plus Chevy and Ford guys laughing at us for breaking ...

But, I am a "Chevy guy". ;)

Signed,

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Automotive Infidel

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
But, I am a "Chevy guy". ;)

Signed,

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Automotive Infidel
Infidel

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I wanna know how “easy” is the install..

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I wanna know how “easy” is the install..
You gotta move a couple of thingies around and remove the belts. Then try to get the gd crank bolt out. Slide this sucker over and tighten the bolt really tight. Install the belts while moving thingies around.
I should write how to manuals. LOL

Sorry didn't get much sleep and winter is already getting to me.😡😃

Last edited:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
You gotta move a couple of thingies around and remove the belts. Then try to get the gd crank bolt out. Slide this sucker over and tighten the bolt really tight. Install nee belts while moving thingies around.
I should write how to manuals. LOL

Sorry didn't get much sleep and winter is already getting to me.
If you have a lift it's not bad to do the crank bolt . It really sucks with Jack stands

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I'm mainly curious on what it does to the crank long term. "Probably" fine, but time will tell. Cool mod for sure for those looking to pickup a "little".

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
This overdrives everything, including the accessories too.
They lost me right there. There is no way I'm increasing the speed on my accessories.