Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

MPVI3 Standalone Data Logging and BlueTooth

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I may play with this next time out, but anytime it wants me to "update" a device firmware I get squeamish.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I may play with this next time out, but anytime it wants me to "update" a device firmware I get squeamish.
As hi-tech as you are? That TDN app needs to update and verify about every time I used it. Most of it is their security checks, but it is constantly talking to the mother ship or it don’t happen.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yeah I've learned from experience.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Yeah I've learned from experience.
You are good, watched your stuff and enjoy it. Keep it up.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Don't follow me lmao

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Honestly, the problem is documentation from the manufacturer. With the stuff I do at work, it's typically VERY detailed with what each revision has, or doesn't have. With these car companies, you get a brief description at best so you're not really sure what you'll gain....or worse lose.

Prime example is when HPT removed the ability to manipulate some emissions controls from their VCM Editor a while back. Now those settings are back, if you complete a training course, as has been pointed out here. Wait, but for years they were there without having to complete a course and they removed them without making it documented as far as I've seen. If you're savvy you keep a few revisions of their software so you can go back to a previous version when things like this happen.

Firmware can get a bit more tricky because it's the device software. Most want you to connect over the internet for the update and don't provide a way to downgrade after an update. What I worry about is letting the device update, and now all of a sudden my VCM Scanner or Editor version will no longer work with the new firmware (accidentally or on purpose) and now I'm forced to upgrade to a new version of scanner/editor that has features removed, or other un-documented and un-expected changes. If they offered the files for download and an "updater" where you could pick the version you wanted I'd not be as worried. You could keep several versions and go back to previous if something odd happens.

I haven't updated VCM Suite since 4.8.7 as a result of all this. Works fine on my car and I've not found I needed anything newer. Pro tuners have to update though as newer tables are added and newer cars need them.

You have to be careful as some will "auto update" when you connect them to a computer that has internet access. This is what Diablo did to me years ago that caused me all kinds of issues. I've also seen some HPT pro tuners have this happen and it wiped out their credit data and it required some phone calls to support to get sorted back out.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Cloud us a 4 letter word for me.
I do not use the cloud for anything. We can control the government usage through voting and laws, while we have zero control over how the commercial owners of the cloud service use and access that data. "We can share your data with our partners and the Chinese communist party" etc... etc...

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
I say F-NO to Cloud anything if at all possible!!!

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #29
At the windows firewall block outbound internet after a device resync. Thats why im keeping my mpvi2 and 4.13 beta. I have the ip addresses of their servers if you want them.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I think I do. I have a I-Phone -12 Pro. It all works fine. I have a MPVi2 rdt+. Got it just before Jon got his new branded 3’s. Flipped tunes at the track with 5G on the phone. Data logged. All Bluetooth with the new TDN app. I divorced my PC. That is why I responded. Sorry, I’m out, Jon will need to help.
Divorced:LOL: I went out and bought the same laptop as Jon just for datalogging. I would rather use the computer and look at my datalogs.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #31
Divorced:LOL: I went out and bought the same laptop as Jon just for datalogging. I would rather use the computer and look at my datalogs.
the laptop will be in the car, just not on and recording i can the sync it after the run