Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Motorcycle..."Lane Splitting"

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
And I see two of the three top reasons I want to retire someplace like NM :cool:
Uh, oh. Can NM handle another one like me?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
At least I won't show up empty-handed.......plus I have skills I can barter.....
Yeah, as long as it's still legal to laugh, we'll be fine. Hell, I'd probably laugh even more if it was illegal.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
And I see two of the three top reasons I want to retire someplace like NM

:cool:
Pretty easy to scare up a race out here too ;)

This is a great place to retire, kind of like Arizona only not as hot! You do have to deal with @Jimmy N. close by though...

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
If it all goes to hell....we'll find us a helo and really have some fun.....I know you got plenty of room to land one :ROFLMAO:
And it's not even that far to go interrupt Bull's beauty sleep. Bring a loud one, would you?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
This could be fun. Start packing.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I could see the advantage as not being a sitting duck sitting in bumper to bumper waiting to get rear ended but still it was not for me.
Now, if it's your only out, sure, do what you need to do. But getting in that position to begin with is something I always avoided. Today, too many idiots in cars and trucks and motorcycles. And when I see lane splitting end by eating the rear end of a car changing lanes, I have absolutely no sympathy. I rode for years and avoided this stuff like the plague. Your luck will hold for years, maybe even your whole life, but the down side is enormous.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Check it.

You ain't deserving of special treatment just because you're on a bike.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It's damn nice to live here where there are no lanes to split. And even if there were two lanes in each direction, there's no traffic.

John G.

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
IMO that is one of the most stupid, dangerous things a person could do, and I can’t believe those guys live long who do it everyday. Complete brain damage must exist in the heads of those guys who do it.
What an asinine thing to write. Has it occurred to you, genius, why California law permits it, why it's perfectly legal to lane split? Because it's safer for motorcycles and has saved countless motorcyclists' lives. What is the leading cause of death for motorcycles on the freeway? Rear-enders. Where is a motorcyclist most safe on the freeway? Between the cars where he can't be rear-ended. As incompetent as most car drivers are, they rarely smash into the car next to them.

I lived in California for 44 years, and lane splitted every day it wasn't raining. I attended many traffic schools (as I way to have a speeding ticket dropped) and the instructors (some were cops) would explain all this to the class. I never had an accident and no one ever opened a door on me. For the most part Californians know it is legal, are used to it, accept it and watch out for us.

The people like you who are rabidly anti-lane splitting are ignorant drivers who are simply jealous. Drivers hate that their commute takes 2 hours, and a motorcyclist's takes 15 minutes. So to them I say, buy a bike and join us! Man up! I also say, appreciate the fact your commute is less because every bike is one less car on the road. I also say, don't sweat it because we're no danger to you, like you are to us.

Since I'm not "stupid" and don't have "complete brain damage" I acknowledge there are those who lane split incorrectly by greatly exceeding the average speed of the car traffic. But you don't condemn something good just because a few misuse it. And cops do ticket for that.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Oh, one last point. In CA, the only state where it is legal, it is not legal at excessive speeds or in a dangerous manner. It's just like the speed laws: sign may say 80 MPH (out here in west texas) but that is qualified by good weather, sufficient visiblity, no stopped traffic, etc..

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
In asia and europe (and CA) the traffic studies support that it reduces traffic jam times (marginally) IF done safely. That's the rationale I've seen in the paperwork anyway. I'm not sure about the maximum speeds allowed relative to stopped traffic that you mention above (great info by the way) but I've seen folks in Houston do it with a 25-30 MPH speed differential which for me is just insane.

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
Legal in Utah as well.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Legal in Utah as well.
ABSOLUTELY right. As of May 14, 2019, they've opened that up, calling it "Lane Filtering," but again it is subject to the restrictions I noted above about safety, speed limitations, weather, visibility, etc.... Thanks for pointing that out Dean.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
What an asinine thing to write. Has it occurred to you, genius, why California law permits it, why it's perfectly legal to lane split? Because it's safer for motorcycles and has saved countless motorcyclists' lives. What is the leading cause of death for motorcycles on the freeway? Rear-enders. Where is a motorcyclist most safe on the freeway? Between the cars where he can't be rear-ended. As incompetent as most car drivers are, they rarely smash into the car next to them.

I lived in California for 44 years, and lane splitted every day it wasn't raining. I attended many traffic schools (as I way to have a speeding ticket dropped) and the instructors (some were cops) would explain all this to the class. I never had an accident and no one ever opened a door on me. For the most part Californians know it is legal, are used to it, accept it and watch out for us.

The people like you who are rabidly anti-lane splitting are ignorant drivers who are simply jealous. Drivers hate that their commute takes 2 hours, and a motorcyclist's takes 15 minutes. So to them I say, buy a bike and join us! Man up! I also say, appreciate the fact your commute is less because every bike is one less car on the road. I also say, don't sweat it because we're no danger to you, like you are to us.

Since I'm not "stupid" and don't have "complete brain damage" I acknowledge there are those who lane split incorrectly by greatly exceeding the average speed of the car traffic. But you don't condemn something good just because a few misuse it. And cops do ticket for that.
Dude, I have owned five bikes at one time. Extremely experienced on several types of machines. You have no idea who you just called an ass with respect to motorcycle riding. It is my opinion, and I gave it, and reaffirm my post.

Let me refer you to @Magnified post #38 above. Your days of no problem splitting lanes are numbered IMO. Carry on.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB

As an avid motorcyclist and racer for 40 years - I could not possibly.disagree with this any more.

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
I think a lot of the lane splitting hate is from the idea that a bike rider is getting ahead of you unfairly. He or she is jumping the queue. There is a natural reaction for many of us to teach them a lesson, how dare they! Who do they think they are! I'll show them! This is a misguided and dumb idea. They are taking the risk, we car drivers are not at risk. They are not taking up space like a car making our life easier. Teaching people lessons is a waste of time and I'm not doing it unless I get payed, a lot. Here in CA, its not much of a big deal because we are used to it and its legal. It's irritating when a rider is doing it recklessly however the HP is quick to pull them over. Luck is also not on their side and often educates them better than I could. Let them do their thing it benefits me. It isn't safe but not much is on CA freeways especially on a bike.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I don't have that feeling, personally. If they do it safely, and get ahead at a reasonable speed, I'm all for it. What I am not for is all the high speed BS and he attitude from some that they're somehow special because they ride a bike and everyone else has to take extra care to watch out for them (while they speed and otherwise act the fool). And I used to ride; not like I don't know it from both sides.

deleted story... too many, I tell

Tjpatte

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lakeside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I don't have that feeling, personally. If they do it safely, and get ahead at a reasonable speed, I'm all for it. What I am not for is all the high speed BS and he attitude from some that they're somehow special because they ride a bike and everyone else has to take extra care to watch out for them (while they speed and otherwise act the fool). And I used to ride; not like I don't know it from both sides.

deleted story... too many, I tell
I think if you’re expecting someone else to watch out for you, you’ll be sadly disappointed :p It’s also why I believe motorcycle riders make some of the safest car drivers, unless they are total toolbags on bikes.

Tsubahog

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fl
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Back in the 60’s in London, us Rockers would split traffic and try to touch one (or both!) red busses going in opposite directions with our knees. A lot of fun until one of my buddies miss timed it and lost half his boot and his pinkie-toe.

Different times.

Wizza

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat
I did that one time from Riverside back down towards San Diego direction and it was the most stressful ride I ever had, even more so than running triple digits