Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Manual Transmissions Are The Best!

MXS67454

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tampa
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge
Funny...my fleet today..Cascadia freightliners..all automatics...im lucky if I can get em outta neutral..my drivers have it made..double bunk luxury liners...things have changed...
They are the most fuel efficient.. DD15 for the win.. end of thread hijack..

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
To be honest, I can go either way on this. I've owned many manual cars & trucks, some decent, some not so much. For me it's having both, the best of both worlds. My automatic SC HC Charger & my manual NA GT350. Auto C5 and now SRTD too.

Does it sadden me that the new C8 and GT500 will not be manual? Sure.
Having both IS the best of both worlds...But if I had to make a decision to keep the Demon or the M6 H/C....(like deciding which child to give up)..Bye Bye Demon...I love the M6 that much...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Having both IS the best of both worlds...But if I had to make a decision to keep the Demon or the M6 H/C....(like deciding which child to give up)..Bye Bye Demon...I love the M6 that much...
Call me crazy...driving an A8 is like watching football (both fun in my world)….driving an M6...is like PLAYING football (much more fun)

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
manual transmissions suck ,there stupid they cant even shift themselves ,unless they are dct and then they are ok

MXS67454

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tampa
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge
There was a time when having an auto was frowned upon . I’ve owned many stick cars but I do love my A8 !!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Keeps me awake.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
You have to be an ar tist to perform an act with a machine that appreciates you as much as IT. Shifting is a 3 part dance where you both have to be in sync. One step, two step, three step burn the tires. Its like a dance and if you can't dance go to the port of potty's with the rest of the loosers. Born after72. Never learn.

Designflaw

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sadieville
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 WB M6 Cat
Mine’s not a dd so when I do take it out I can’t begin to explain the joy and appreciation I have for the m6. Banging through the gears with the LMI sound is so therapeutic to me. Plus I haven’t had a manual since I was a kid so there’s also that nostalgia factor. I’m thinking these won’t be around for long so I’m holding on to mine.
Exactly! Well said.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
manual transmissions suck ,there stupid they cant even shift themselves ,unless they are dct and then they are ok
they have to be...ummm manipulated..thats the fun part...make the car do what you want it to...when you want it to...just like women..manipulate them..to do what you want.. when you want...unless you want your women to shift their own gears too....now that's stupid...and boring

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Whoa! Now that’s sayin something

OP
motorhead

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Thread Starter #31
they have to be...ummm manipulated..thats the fun part...make the car do what you want it to...when you want it to...just like women..manipulate them..to do what you want.. when you want...unless you want your women to shift their own gears too....now that's stupid...and boring
That's just it: You aren't just manipulating the shifter or the clutch - but everything on either end of that transmission too. Throttle. Suspension. Tires.

Total control. Complete responsibility.

It is even better if you are good at it - LOL.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
That's just it: You aren't just manipulating the shifter or the clutch - but everything on either end of that transmission too. Throttle. Suspension. Tires.

That perfectly describes rock crawling. But I don't use my Challenger for that, since the Jeep does it much better.
But it won't accelerate anything like my automatic Hellcat.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk

Been there and done that and feel the same with my A8 as I used to with my A833!

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
The drivers that impress me are the ones that run good 1/8, 1/4 times while they are rowin'.
I'd like to try the A8 on a road course and see what happens to lap times with one less pedal.
All this being said, there's a crazy inexpensive Cat on Craigslist right now with an m6.
What to do..

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Ok...I've been reading this A8 vs M6 banter since I got my HC. I seriously need a tutorial.
Two HCs, one A8, one M6. Fastest 0-60 mph wins. Both cars same weight, same tires, same road, and thus same friction. Both cars can freely spin the tires, or not, well past 40 mph when the A8 is going into 2nd gear and M6 still in 1st, and the gearing differences equalize. Seems that the race depends on skill of the drivers controlling spin, not the car's limitations based on gearing, since both can exceed the available friction off the line. Please tell me, what am I missing.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
The end result.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Ok...I've been reading this A8 vs M6 banter since I got my HC. I seriously need a tutorial.
Two HCs, one A8, one M6. Fastest 0-60 mph wins. Both cars same weight, same tires, same road, and thus same friction. Both cars can freely spin the tires, or not, well past 40 mph when the A8 is going into 2nd gear and M6 still in 1st, and the gearing differences equalize. Seems that the race depends on skill of the drivers controlling spin, not the car's limitations based on gearing, since both can exceed the available friction off the line. Please tell me, what am I missing.
Maybe 2 extra gears?

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I’m a manual fan, never much cared for automatics BUT the A8 has me interested for a few reasons; it’s quick, it’s strong, and like the whine of the IHI blower it sounds amazing, perfect complement to a great car. I put a 2.98 1st, 2.10 2nd, 1.43 3rd Tranzilla in my 830 wheel cat to get a final gear ratio more close to the A8, somewhere around 11.5:1 now in first. It livened up the car but made hooking up even harder but has made it quicker and slams you into the seat harder and lets me know a little about how a redeye must feel in the lower end, wicked. I’ve never driven a redeye but do have a want to, at times it’s frustrating struggling to get into the 10’s as with a manual YOU got to get EVERYTHING just perfect all in 10 seconds or your done, with an auto it comes down to power your making and traction your getting, the rest is really just holding on for the ride. That right there is my delema going to a auto, it will be more relaxing and fulfilling (Time slip wise) to start with BUT will I get bored with just having to worry about cutting a good light and keeping the throttle mashed for 10 seconds? Guess I could still txt and drive then at least? I do like the stronger motor and drivetrain the redeye comes with along with a few other performance goodies but the only way I would know is try one for a summer but parting with my customized M6 is not easy, I LOVE the car. First question most everyone asks me about the car is “is it a stick or a auto?” Get a BIG smile in return when I say stick and a look of disbelief and sadness when I reply “yea, but the autos are quicker” Why is a manual perceived as being more a he-mans macho car and autos for wanna be’s and those less talented that maybe can’t row their own??

Ronan978

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Sinai
State
NY
Country
United States
I’m a manual fan, never much cared for automatics BUT the A8 has me interested for a few reasons; it’s quick, it’s strong, and like the whine of the IHI blower it sounds amazing, perfect complement to a great car. I put a 2.98 1st, 2.10 2nd, 1.43 3rd Tranzilla in my 830 wheel cat to get a final gear ratio more close to the A8, somewhere around 11.5:1 now in first. It livened up the car but made hooking up even harder but has made it quicker and slams you into the seat harder and lets me know a little about how a redeye must feel in the lower end, wicked. I’ve never driven a redeye but do have a want to, at times it’s frustrating struggling to get into the 10’s as with a manual YOU got to get EVERYTHING just perfect all in 10 seconds or your done, with an auto it comes down to power your making and traction your getting, the rest is really just holding on for the ride. That right there is my delema going to a auto, it will be more relaxing and fulfilling (Time slip wise) to start with BUT will I get bored with just having to worry about cutting a good light and keeping the throttle mashed for 10 seconds? Guess I could still txt and drive then at least? I do like the stronger motor and drivetrain the redeye comes with along with a few other performance goodies but the only way I would know is try one for a summer but parting with my customized M6 is not easy, I LOVE the car. First question most everyone asks me about the car is “is it a stick or a auto?” Get a BIG smile in return when I say stick and a look of disbelief and sadness when I reply “yea, but the autos are quicker” Why is a manual perceived as being more a he-mans macho car and autos for wanna be’s and those less talented that maybe can’t row their own??
I’ve driven manual cars my whole life , this a8 is my first auto other than my truck. I drive it in manual mode 99% of the time. The other 1% being at the track when it goes into auto. The only reason I can think of for the “manual being a man’s car” is ego, nothing more. I love a manual , but this a8 is pretty amazing. In the end , I’d rather be faster .........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
an auto is obviously quicker on a timed drag strip but on the street like others have said traction is the big equalizer. local guy with his auto scat 392 kept saying he could take me stop light to stop light. we did a couple of runs up to about 70 or so and he couldn't get traction with his 245's off the light and I got him every time. I have 11 inch wheels with 305 drag radials on back.