Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

M/T 305/45-17 vs Hoosier 28x10.5-17DBR Comparison?

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I'm considering getting a full set of 'drag only' wheels and tires for my WBRE.
The Billet Specialties wheel seems to be the lightest reasonably priced wheel option
and the Hoosier front runner looks like a quality lightweight tire.
My debate is do I go with the tried and true M/T 305/45 or the new, lighter Hoosier 28x10.5?

I know there are at least a couple of regular posters here that have experience with both. I'd
love to know some real world weights and just your general thoughts and experiences on the
two options.

Thx,
Bo

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Dude you got a 1.406 60ft that is the best 60ft a Redeye stock has ever done. Don't mess with a winner. Stick with what you got, it's working very very well.

Last edited:
OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #3
Dude you got a 1.406 60ft that is the best 60ft a Redeye stock has ever done. Don't mess with a winner. Stick with what you got, it's working very very well.
LOL. Forward progress only comes w trying new stuff. AND... that 1.406 is way too close to 1.39X to give up now. :)

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
LOL. Forward progress only comes w trying new stuff. AND... that 1.406 is way too close to 1.39X to give up now. :)
It's up to you but I will be keeping my 305/17ETrs because now I know 1.406 is possible with them.

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
I'm considering getting a full set of 'drag only' wheels and tires for my WBRE.
The Billet Specialties wheel seems to be the lightest reasonably priced wheel option
and the Hoosier front runner looks like a quality lightweight tire.
My debate is do I go with the tried and true M/T 305/45 or the new, lighter Hoosier 28x10.5?

I know there are at least a couple of regular posters here that have experience with both. I'd
love to know some real world weights and just your general thoughts and experiences on the
two options.

Thx,
Bo
I too am pondering this exact question Bo,Byron has both set up on his Demons.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I would put my money on the Hoosiers being they are a radial slick. I wish they would come out with some DOT drag radials in that size

I believe the Hoosier are lighter too

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #7
I would put my money on the Hoosiers being they are a radial slick. I wish they would come out with some DOT drag radials in that size

I believe the Hoosier are lighter too
I'm told they are 7 lbs each lighter than the 305 MT. That's a pretty healthy reduction in rotating weight.
My last outing pretty much used up my MT's. Granted, they work REALLY well and I came away with some nice timeslips but the Hoosier has my eye for the moment.
I'd love to hear from a member or two that has had real world experience with the Hoosier.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I'm told they are 7 lbs each lighter than the 305 MT. That's a pretty healthy reduction in rotating weight.
My last outing pretty much used up my MT's. Granted, they work REALLY well and I came away with some nice timeslips but the Hoosier has my eye for the moment.
I'd love to hear from a member or two that has had real world experience with the Hoosier.
I am not trying to be a dick but I am willing to bet you never see a 1.406 60 ft with the Hoosier's 100% stock again. I hope I am wrong though.

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #9
Mark,

60' isn't the only number on the time slip. I will be the first to agree that it's a VERY important number, especially with a horsepower and weight limited car such as the stock RE.
Also, track quality and DA are equally - arguably more - important than initial launch capabilities due to a specific tire. I live in TN and don't have reasonable access to negative DA very often. I have another opportunity to see a similar situation to what I had on the low 1.4x outing coming up in a few weeks. I'd like to try something different this outing. The worst that could happen is I still come home with the quick timeslips from Houston.

So... now we're back to what the OP's question was in the first place. :)

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Mark,

60' isn't the only number on the time slip. I will be the first to agree that it's a VERY important number, especially with a horsepower and weight limited car such as the stock RE.
Also, track quality and DA are equally - arguably more - important than initial launch capabilities due to a specific tire. I live in TN and don't have reasonable access to negative DA very often. I have another opportunity to see a similar situation to what I had on the low 1.4x outing coming up in a few weeks. I'd like to try something different this outing. The worst that could happen is I still come home with the quick timeslips from Houston.

So... now we're back to what the OP's question was in the first place. :)
I hope you do. I just was hoping you would keep going on the MTs because you got the best 60 and ET with them. How many passes did you get out of your ETR's? I have about 80-100 passes on mine just wondering how many they got till there toast.

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #11
I hope you do. I just was hoping you would keep going on the MTs because you got the best 60 and ET with them. How many passes did you get out of your ETR's? I have about 80-100 passes on mine just wondering how many they got till there toast.
I'm currently at mid 60's for runs. The big burnouts are a bit harder on them so they're pretty much used up. They also have probably 5-600 street miles on them.

If I can't get any info here about the Hoosiers I may just get another set of wheels and give them a shot as well as putting the MT's back on my street rims.

viperakron

Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
akron
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon
Dragracer used the Hoosiers in Houston with success in ideal prep. Being a narrower tire they will need the best prep available. Ideally you want to run the least amount of drag down the track that will hook. Most test and tune nights don't provide ideal prep so a wider tire will be needed. All depends if you are a bracket racer with less than ideal conditions or running for a hero ET.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Let us know what you think of them when you try them. I have 2 new pairs of M/T's waiting for spring.
If you are successful I may try them for the 3rd set that I will likely need for the season.

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #14
Dragracer used the Hoosiers in Houston with success in ideal prep. Being a narrower tire they will need the best prep available. Ideally you want to run the least amount of drag down the track that will hook. Most test and tune nights don't provide ideal prep so a wider tire will be needed. All depends if you are a bracket racer with less than ideal conditions or running for a hero ET.
I saw that. It looked like they worked well for him. Tim also had a set on 457 and they worked well on that car too. My RE leaves a lot different from the Demon though so I was hoping maybe someone else had some first hand experience w them on perhaps something other than a Demon.
I already have the big ol' MT to use at my local tnt tracks so these would be more for use in good conditions for those 'hero runs'.
Thanks for the input.

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #15
Let us know what you think of them when you try them. I have 2 new pairs of M/T's waiting for spring.
If you are successful I may try them for the 3rd set that I will likely need for the season.
Will do Jim. I checked my run count and I'm at 62 runs w the MT's. I took them off yesterday to put it back into ride around mode. A quick inspection shows they are pretty much shot. Very little tread left. They might have a half dozen runs left in them. No more than I run my car 2 sets should set me for up the upcoming season. I think I'll put new MT's back on my current rims and get another set for the Hoosiers. That'll set me up for the season(assuming the Hoosiers work ok for me) and all I've spent extra is for a 2nd set of rear wheels. And... I've been looking for an excuse to buy some beadlocks anyway. lol

The Englishman

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newbury
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2018 Demon
You don’t need an excuse to buy them Bo,you NEED an extra set anyways.😜

OP
TNREDEYE

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Thread Starter #17
You don’t need an excuse to buy them Bo,you NEED an extra set anyways.😜
LOL, I do believe you are right sir! I was looking at a beadlock earlier today and then talking to my wife about the different tires. After a cpl minutes she said "just buy both sets of tires and get those wheels and be done with it".
Gentlemen, I may have the perfect wife. :)(y)

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
My bet is on Hoosier. They are a slick with softer compound.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
LOL, I do believe you are right sir! I was looking at a beadlock earlier today and then talking to my wife about the different tires. After a cpl minutes she said "just buy both sets of tires and get those wheels and be done with it".
Gentlemen, I may have the perfect wife. :)(y)
I think the Hoosiers will be a little more reliable on the hook. They seem to shock the drivetrain a little less. Little less of a thump the one time they hopped on me (issues with track prep at Extreme Raceway Park). Hoosiers can be swapped side to side to even the wear and get them back in balance! They did not seem to be as balance sensitive. I know I was out of balance but never felt anything. The press release was WRONG on the weight. And then Summit Jegs etc regurgitated the wrong info. Best guess on the passes will be about 100-120.
My scale the WB Win Lite is 17.2 and the Hoosier tire is 24.3 and the ASSYready to mount on the car weighed 43 pounds with Valve Stem and balance weights & center cap and hub centric ring.

Hoosier TECH sent me this :

"Minimal burnout is required for longer tire life.

The compound is designed for traction. Again, you do not need to do a hard burnout to get the tire to work. This compound is designed for superior grip than what is currently on the market.

Suggested air pressure range is 16 – 22 psi."

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
I pondered all this today and went et street r’s again. I dropped down to a 17 from my current 18. Just couldn’t find enough convincing data to go with Hoosier’s.