Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Jon's Hellcat

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Just make sure he has it come out down low enough so you can keep the plate on the car 😎
Think the plan was to do it behind the plate so the plate covers the hole. The parachute bar can be unbolted from the main bar so you don't have to drive on the street with the chute on the car. I had that set up on my 87 mustang but never used the chute

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
This is for a mustang but will be something like this

1685369049936.png

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
On the subject of chutes for those who have yet to experience the joys of using one……. You will very quickly come to hate that thing. The chore of repacking it with that mfr of a spring pilot chute will keep you from using it unless you feel like you really need to. After having done that a few times, I upgraded to the more expensive air launch type. That employs a small CO2 bottle to pressurize a ram that pushes the chute out in what is called a deployment bag. The bag has flaps that open once out into the air and act as a pilot chute and eliminate the need for that compressible spring that is used to drag the chute out with the standard system. While struggling with getting that spring compressed into the pack and closed, there will be many select words being used in the process. There is none of that with the air system. It’s a piece of cake by comparison. Some pics…. 😎 F408CDC0-3671-4A5A-AC2A-27B709E38E83.jpeg C9ADBC0D-8A81-4C61-AAD4-728AE31F6D32.jpeg E0EA6DD1-E816-4C7A-A063-1F114FB11057.jpeg BC221D97-4658-460C-A343-F570BC0AE6E4.jpeg A2DEAC4C-E31A-44D1-BC28-C542FE39D5C2.jpeg

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
there’s enough aftermarket now, there’s no reason for it

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
This is for a mustang but will be something like this

View attachment 106930
Gearhead sells one like this for $500. Any idea what one will cost for us? I know for mustangs they’re under $300

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Gearhead sells one like this for $500. Any idea what one will cost for us? I know for mustangs they’re under $300
I don't know what his plan was on price

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
On the subject of chutes for those who have yet to experience the joys of using one……. You will very quickly come to hate that thing. The chore of repacking it with that mfr of a spring pilot chute will keep you from using it unless you feel like you really need to. After having done that a few times, I upgraded to the more expensive air launch type. That employs a small CO2 bottle to pressurize a ram that pushes the chute out in what is called a deployment bag. The bag has flaps that open once out into the air and act as a pilot chute and eliminate the need for that compressible spring that is used to drag the chute out with the standard system. While struggling with getting that spring compressed into the pack and closed, there will be many select words being used in the process. There is none of that with the air system. It’s a piece of cake by comparison. Some pics…. 😎
An air launch setup is way easier but I've had to pack my spring loaded chute so many times, I've come to just accept and have gotten quite proficient, with or without help. It has become such a non-hassle for me that one time, I decided to work on packing the chute while I was in the tech line waiting. It was the last night of racing at Houston Raceway Park and the tech line that wasn't moving very fast and was extremely long,. I got it done in 2 moves while entertaining everyone else at the same time.

Yes, it sucks at first and may suck for a while but do it enough times and pick up enough tips, tricks, and technique along the way and it becomes a lot less of a chore.

Here's one big tip I picked up from a pro crew chief and driver team that I used to tune for. Once you pull the string and loop through the first hole, you or someone helping you can hold the loop in place and keep the spring compressed by simply pressing your thumb against the loop that you just pulled through the hole. Doing this alleviates the need to continue keeping the spring compressed by whatever method you had to use initially. Thumb pressure alone will be more than sufficient and it makes the rest of the process super easy. After pulling the string and loop through each hole, put your thumb on it again to continue holding it in place as needed.

It also helps to pack the chute neatly into the deployment bag. Don't just stuff everything in there, it'll fail to deploy more often than not if you do that and it'll also take up more space making it harder to pull the loop all the way through. More often than not, I had failed deployments when someone else did it for me to try and help out or my wife decided to follow her own directions on how to pack it into the bag.

Another tip I picked up along the way is the use of clothes pins to keep the parachute cords neatly bundled together. Once I stretch out and untangle all the cords, I use 4 clothes pins to keep them perfectly layered so that I can neatly stuff the deployment bag without having to do much work keeping it neat and bundled.

@fumanchu182 may have seen me do some of this in Maryland last year? Maybe not, but when I get time, I'll do a video.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
An air launch setup is way easier but I've had to pack my spring loaded chute so many times, I've come to just accept and have gotten quite proficient, with or without help. It has become such a non-hassle for me that one time, I decided to work on packing the chute while I was in the tech line waiting. It was the last night of racing at Houston Raceway Park and the tech line that wasn't moving very fast and was extremely long,. I got it done in 2 moves while entertaining everyone else at the same time.

Yes, it sucks at first and may suck for a while but do it enough times and pick up enough tips, tricks, and technique along the way and it becomes a lot less of a chore.

Here's one big tip I picked up from a pro crew chief and driver team that I used to tune for. Once you pull the string and loop through the first hole, you or someone helping you can hold the loop in place and keep the spring compressed by simply pressing your thumb against the loop that you just pulled through the hole. Doing this alleviates the need to continue keeping the spring compressed by whatever method you had to use initially. Thumb pressure alone will be more than sufficient and it makes the rest of the process super easy. After pulling the string and loop through each hole, put your thumb on it again to continue holding it in place as needed.

It also helps to pack the chute neatly into the deployment bag. Don't just stuff everything in there, it'll fail to deploy more often than not if you do that and it'll also take up more space making it harder to pull the loop all the way through. More often than not, I had failed deployments when someone else did it for me to try and help out or my wife decided to follow her own directions on how to pack it into the bag.

Another tip I picked up along the way is the use of clothes pins to keep the parachute cords neatly bundled together. Once I stretch out and untangle all the cords, I use 4 clothes pins to keep them perfectly layered so that I can neatly stuff the deployment bag without having to do much work keeping it neat and bundled.

@fumanchu182 may have seen me do some of this in Maryland last year? Maybe not, but when I get time, I'll do a video.
Interesting! Lol I was like a monkey f’n a football. I like the cloths pin idea. I need to get a pack of those. Thanks 😊

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #1,289

I’ve helped the guy making the mount pack his a few times. At one point we talked about I was never going to try and be fast enough to need one ….. but a detailed video would be nice 😉
@Unholy707 gearhead I believe is more around the 650 mark.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat

I've helped many pack a chute, and the cords being neatly bundled is essential for proper deployment. I have seen you at the track pack that thing, I've also seen other people understand the joys of the spring as well 😂

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I’ve helped the guy making the mount pack his a few times. At one point we talked about I was never going to try and be fast enough to need one …..
I've had failed deployments going 180+, technically you don't need the chute but it does start to help take burden off your brakes when you're trapping above 155-160. If you have 15" conversion in the front, those rotors tend to develop cracks over time and judicious use of the parachute, if you're going fast enough for it to benefit, will extend rotor and pad life a lot.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #1,292
I've had failed deployments going 180+, technically you don't need the chute but it does start to help take burden off your brakes when you're trapping above 155-160. If you have 15" conversion in the front, those rotors tend to develop cracks over time and judicious use of the parachute, if you're going fast enough for it to benefit, will extend rotor and pad life a lot.
That’s exactly why I’m doing it. I’ve had cracked front rotors on the tce kit. I don’t plan on every pass using it. But the cracked rotor is an eye opener

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
That’s exactly why I’m doing it. I’ve had cracked front rotors on the tce kit. I don’t plan on every pass using it. But the cracked rotor is an eye opener
Have you seen the TBM brakes? Sold by Motion Raceworks. Before I converted to the Strange brakes on the front, I called and checked to see if they had those for the Hellcat. They didn’t. They do now, and I believe that HHP has them. Hands down the best and made to stop 200+ mph cars. They have video of them glowing red and did not damage the brake rotor.

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Have you seen the TBM brakes? Sold by Motion Raceworks. Before I converted to the Strange brakes on the front, I called and checked to see if they had those for the Hellcat. They didn’t. They do now, and I believe that HHP has them. Hands down the best and made to stop 200+ mph cars. They have video of them glowing red and did not damage the brake rotor.
Not sure if Jon has seen but I'll be putting TBM brakes on my car in the coming months.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Those guys bought the company around 18 months ago. They've been seriously working on development and they have a new manufacturing facility over in Bradenton.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I’ve helped the guy making the mount pack his a few times. At one point we talked about I was never going to try and be fast enough to need one ….. but a detailed video would be nice 😉
I must be remembering pre-pandemic costs 😔

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Race car.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #1,298
Not sure if Jon has seen but I'll be putting TBM brakes on my car in the coming months.
I’ve looked into it. Maybe at some point. I have other things I should consider first.
i just ordered a set of manton valve covers. Need to figure out a set of heads next. The shop build has somewhat been limiting my speending. But it looks good.
4BA4D7D3-FCD7-409B-8ACF-33A109BA3DF2.jpeg
sitting right next to my house.
8804F5E4-1379-44EF-9931-3E459818184A.jpeg

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City