Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Jacking up a Challenger from the front with a floor jack

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
I was use to lifting my old Mopars and my '05 Ram by using the front crossmember. Figured "no problem" when I bought my first, late model Challenger, a '10 R/T. Bent the hell out of the front crossmember.
Have since not tried that when I got my '15 Scat Pack. Lifted at pinch welds a little at a time and place jack stands under the pinch welds. Not a big problem. However, I own a Red Eye now and I bought some modest Race Ramps. Couldn't be happier (except if I had a 4 post lift). Quick to set up; no jack stands needed; no damage to the car. Real sweet set up. DON'T lift your car by the forward most, front cross member or the rearward, front cross member.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Short of an oil change or swapping wheels what business do we really have hanging out under these cars anyway? I didn't buy this car to spend my evenings and weekends working on it.
yep changing oil and wheels mostly (did many wheel changes before going to the track) but I can never leave my cars alone from modifying them. Did cat-deletes then full exhaust then headers this past year on the Daytona. Had the nose off to install the '19 grille where I needed them also.

With the 2 cars and a Jeep it seems I use my jacks a lot

OP
SNeal5966

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
Thread Starter #23
I was use to lifting my old Mopars and my '05 Ram by using the front crossmember. Figured "no problem" when I bought my first, late model Challenger, a '10 R/T. Bent the hell out of the front crossmember.
Have since not tried that when I got my '15 Scat Pack. Lifted at pinch welds a little at a time and place jack stands under the pinch welds. Not a big problem. However, I own a Red Eye now and I bought some modest Race Ramps. Couldn't be happier (except if I had a 4 post lift). Quick to set up; no jack stands needed; no damage to the car. Real sweet set up. DON'T lift your car by the forward most, front cross member or the rearward, front cross member.
Thank you very much for the info! I knew there must be someone out there that has done this from experience that can comment on whether or not this works. I appreciate the feedback! I wasn't not going to even try it unless I could find someone that has first to see if it works or not. I was also thinking about going to the dealership and asking some techs but that would probably be embarrassing hahha

OP
SNeal5966

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
Thread Starter #24
This is kind of a bummer and disappointing....I have not owned a car before that you could not jack the front up with this point....seems kind of silly to me that this whole front cradle is not strong enough for that, would not have taken a whole lot more weight to be able to do that.....

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
That spot is just forward of the center of balance, more weight is up front. That could be an easy 2500 lb point load. Probably a good idea to use the recommended points for lifting or the easy pinch weld adaptors. I use four pucks for the QuickJack points and everything has always seemed easy and adequate.

Daman98

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smithsburg
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
In the Market
You should be able to do the CDV removal with just being up on ramps....and a bit safer as well.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
This is kind of a bummer and disappointing....I have not owned a car before that you could not jack the front up with this point....seems kind of silly to me that this whole front cradle is not strong enough for that, would not have taken a whole lot more weight to be able to do that.....
My gut instinct as soon as I saw the front cradle - no way I'd trust it to support the entire weight jacking up the car with it. Why risk bending it when there's other ways to lift it.....like others have said, use two jacks and go up a little at a time until you can place stands under a beefy part of the frame. I personally don't care for lifting at pinch welds, but it is a factory lift point. I haven't heard of anyone damaging their car using them - if you have the proper pucks to do it.
You should be able to do the CDV removal with just being up on ramps....and a bit safer as well.
Couldn't agree more...to me ramps are the safest, easiest and fastest way to get the car up for minor maintenance IMO. I was frustrated too the first time I went to jack the car up and discovered there's no real good lift points I can trust 100%. Sucks to have to buy special low profile ramps or hydraulic jacks, but it is what it is. -Even the low profile jack I have isn't low enough to get under the front without lifting from one side first.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I too use two floor jacks alternating sides as I lift the car enough to get jack stands under the pucks, or just drive up on ramps, whatever is required.

OP
SNeal5966

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
Thread Starter #29
I hate drive on ramps, I used to have a set when I was younger and I had a set fail once before.....which to me makes them less safe than a quality set of jack stands....

I am thinking that the QuickJack is the best option at this point.....lol I have been wanting one for a while, and it will get used a lot lifting all 3 of our vehicles....I do all my own maintenance and repairs....

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
QuickJack works good!

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
No way I'd trust that cradle. (Well...more like 'No way I'd trust myself not fukking up that cradle.')

Ramps for oil changes...QuickJack for tires / brakes etc.

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I hate drive on ramps, I used to have a set when I was younger and I had a set fail once before.....which to me makes them less safe than a quality set of jack stands....

I am thinking that the QuickJack is the best option at this point.....lol I have been wanting one for a while, and it will get used a lot lifting all 3 of our vehicles....I do all my own maintenance and repairs....
It's a bit of a pain to drag out and set up, but priceless after that. Not sure if you swap winter / summer tires on any of your cars being in Buffalo, but it really is nice to lift all 4 corners, and do all 4 tires at the same time. Jacking one corner...getting a stand underneath (never trust a hydraulic jack to hold a load)...changing 1 wheel...then having to repeat the process 4 times.

Do it once with the QuickJack, and you'll kick yourself for not getting one sooner.

OP
SNeal5966

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
Thread Starter #33
It's a bit of a pain to drag out and set up, but priceless after that. Not sure if you swap winter / summer tires on any of your cars being in Buffalo, but it really is nice to lift all 4 corners, and do all 4 tires at the same time. Jacking one corner...getting a stand underneath (never trust a hydraulic jack to hold a load)...changing 1 wheel...then having to repeat the process 4 times.

Do it once with the QuickJack, and you'll kick yourself for not getting one sooner.
My car goes into storage for winter, and my daily drivers just use all season tires since we have all wheel drive anyhow....plus I don't drive very much for normal driving. If I was commuting to work every day I would deff have a set of snows for winter....

But since I do all my own maintenance and repairs the quickjacks seem like a nice option.

How long have you had yours? Had any issues with them like a cylinder failure or leaky hoses?

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
My car goes into storage for winter, and my daily drivers just use all season tires since we have all wheel drive anyhow....plus I don't drive very much for normal driving. If I was commuting to work every day I would deff have a set of snows for winter....

But since I do all my own maintenance and repairs the quickjacks seem like a nice option.

How long have you had yours? Had any issues with them like a cylinder failure or leaky hoses?
Bought it just last spring. I got the 7000 series, then bought the extension rails. Figured it would give me the flexibility for just about any car.

No issues with it at all. I've only used it maybe a dozen times, but never an issue. Just follow the instructions when assembling the hoses to the unit, and you should be fine. Like I said, the biggest pain is dragging them out and positioning them under the car.

I DID have a bit of a self-inflicted issue, but nothing major. My issue was that with the extension rails in place, the jack was a bit too high to fit under the Hellcat. So I just had a couple of two-by-fours I'd drive the front tires up on (rear had enough height).

But I used that as an excuse to get the BMR subframe connectors (making the jack points close enough together that I didn't need to use the extension rails), so now it fits fine.

OP
SNeal5966

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
Thread Starter #35
Bought it just last spring. I got the 7000 series, then bought the extension rails. Figured it would give me the flexibility for just about any car.

No issues with it at all. I've only used it maybe a dozen times, but never an issue. Just follow the instructions when assembling the hoses to the unit, and you should be fine. Like I said, the biggest pain is dragging them out and positioning them under the car.

I DID have a bit of a self-inflicted issue, but nothing major. My issue was that with the extension rails in place, the jack was a bit too high to fit under the Hellcat. So I just had a couple of two-by-fours I'd drive the front tires up on (rear had enough height).

But I used that as an excuse to get the BMR subframe connectors (making the jack points close enough together that I didn't need to use the extension rails), so now it fits fine.
Wow cool thanks for the info. I will get the 7000 EXT model that way I don't need the extenders, I don't and won't own a vehicle that won't fit under anyhow lol I don't like compact cars...

What are the BMR subframe connectors?

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Wow cool thanks for the info. I will get the 7000 EXT model that way I don't need the extenders, I don't and won't own a vehicle that won't fit under anyhow lol I don't like compact cars...

What are the BMR subframe connectors?
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1898&superpro=0

Basically ties the front and rear subframes together, and also ties the 2 sides together.

I'm one of those nitwits that road courses my car...so I figured the added stiffness couldn't hurt. That also the main reason I got the quickjack - swapping brake pads before and after each track day got old real quick...

OP
SNeal5966

SNeal5966

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Scat Pack Challenger
Thread Starter #37
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1898&superpro=0

Basically ties the front and rear subframes together, and also ties the 2 sides together.

I'm one of those nitwits that road courses my car...so I figured the added stiffness couldn't hurt. That also the main reason I got the quickjack - swapping brake pads before and after each track day got old real quick...
Interesting...I am having a hard time visualizing what these do and look like installed on the car.....do you have any pics of them installed?

You road course yours? I plan to do that some too.....did you get the strut mount braces for front and rear?

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Interesting...I am having a hard time visualizing what these do and look like installed on the car.....do you have any pics of them installed?

You road course yours? I plan to do that some too.....did you get the strut mount braces for front and rear?
Unfortunately no pics...and the car is in storage for the season. If you click on the link and expand some of the pics, it might give you a better idea. Basically 2 long tube running down each side just behind the pinch weld. Bolted into both front and read subframes. Then some triangulation tubing that ties the 2 side together and also into the carrier bearing mount. Not sure how much it helps on the track (the car is better than I am), but made it much easier for using the QuickJack.

I have the front strut brace from Speedlogix, and the rear was one made by a member on the 'other' forum years ago. Also have the sway bar end links (front and rear) from BMR.

I've gone to maybe a half dozen track days the past couple of years. Always the same course with the same group of guys in Oneonta (about halfway between Binghamton and Albany). If you are interested, hit me up. Could always use another Mopar in the paddock.

Tons of track time, and a great group of folks running it. Son runs it (has a Lotus Evora)...his dad runs a C7 Vette Grand Sport (with a supercharger on it)...and his mom runs a C7 Vette as well.

https://gottrackli.com/

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I use 2 of these, one on each side. One doubles as a take to the track jack for changing rear tires, light and works great. There’s a coupon in this months AARP magazine for 59.99 for same jack, Harbor Freight, image.jpg I tossed magazine as I already have 2

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States