Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Indy 500 Tires and Z26 Brake pads, How do they hold up on a 392

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
So figured Id thow some data points out on The Indy 500 tires and the Z26 pads based on my experience so far with them after more miles than most here drive.
My current car is 2018 T/A 392 M6 with dynamics pkg (HC brakes) which I bought new in July 2018
Front wheels OEM 9.5" with 275/40/20 Firestone Indy 500 tires
Rear wheels MRR 392 11" with 305/35/20 Firestone Indy 500s
Brakes OEM rotors with Z26 pads.

I put the Z26 pads on at 2800 miles
I put on the Firestone indy tires and wider rear wheels at 30,460 miles in April of this year.
I currently have 48,520 miles on the car which means approx 45,000 on the brake pads, and 18,000 miles on the tires.
Because of the size diff, the tires have not been rotated and have spent the 18,000 miles on the corner they started at. I keep 32 PSI cold in them religiously.
My car came with a great alignment from the factory and hasnt been touched in nearly 50,000 miles.

My driving up until a month ago was mostly an even mix of hauling ass through PA back roads as fast as I could in the wee hours of the morning and then high speed 4 lane highway (IE not a lot of traffic) Now its mostly just high speed highway with far less backroads. Car hasnt been to the track yet (I know, thats a sin) but there have been a lot of 0-60 runs from stop signs and in industrial parks trying to break my best so far 4.6 0-60 which still makes me sad.

AT this point the rear tires are evenly worn across and stand at 5/32"
The fronts are also evenly worn and are at 8/32nds depth.
Pretty shocking that Ive gotten nearly 20k on the tires and the fronts are barely worn. The OEM Pirelli A/S were worn to the indicators at 30k and the Indys are far far stickier than those could ever hope to be. Looks like Ill get 2 sets of rears to one set of fronts. I can live with that, especially for the price.

The brake pads are getting low but I can prob ride the winter out with them. Disc's dont look too bad to me, no pulsing or shaking to this day and the car stops hard when I want or need it too so the Z26 pads appear to be far easier on the discs than the OEM brembo pads.

Im sure the HC guys will wear the tires faster with the extra power but maybe this gives you an idea of how these things hold up over a lot more miles that many of these cars will see in a lifetime.

Attachments

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
So figured Id thow some data points out on The Indy 500 tires and the Z26 pads based on my experience so far with them after more miles than most here drive.
My current car is 2018 T/A 392 M6 with dynamics pkg (HC brakes) which I bought new in July 2018
Front wheels OEM 9.5" with 275/40/20 Firestone Indy 500 tires
Rear wheels MRR 392 11" with 305/35/20 Firestone Indy 500s
Brakes OEM rotors with Z26 pads.

I put the Z26 pads on at 2800 miles
I put on the Firestone indy tires and wider rear wheels at 30,460 miles in April of this year.
I currently have 48,520 miles on the car which means approx 45,000 on the brake pads, and 18,000 miles on the tires.
Because of the size diff, the tires have not been rotated and have spent the 18,000 miles on the corner they started at. I keep 32 PSI cold in them religiously.
My car came with a great alignment from the factory and hasnt been touched in nearly 50,000 miles.

My driving up until a month ago was mostly an even mix of hauling ass through PA back roads as fast as I could in the wee hours of the morning and then high speed 4 lane highway (IE not a lot of traffic) Now its mostly just high speed highway with far less backroads. Car hasnt been to the track yet (I know, thats a sin) but there have been a lot of 0-60 runs from stop signs and in industrial parks trying to break my best so far 4.6 0-60 which still makes me sad.

AT this point the rear tires are evenly worn across and stand at 5/32"
The fronts are also evenly worn and are at 8/32nds depth.
Pretty shocking that Ive gotten nearly 20k on the tires and the fronts are barely worn. The OEM Pirelli A/S were worn to the indicators at 30k and the Indys are far far stickier than those could ever hope to be. Looks like Ill get 2 sets of rears to one set of fronts. I can live with that, especially for the price.

The brake pads are getting low but I can prob ride the winter out with them. Disc's dont look too bad to me, no pulsing or shaking to this day and the car stops hard when I want or need it too so the Z26 pads appear to be far easier on the discs than the OEM brembo pads.

Im sure the HC guys will wear the tires faster with the extra power but maybe this gives you an idea of how these things hold up over a lot more miles that many of these cars will see in a lifetime.

Awesome feedback, thank you for posting this up.

:)

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
He said, “Disc's dont look too bad to me, no pulsing or shaking to this day and the car stops hard when I want or need it too so the Z26 pads appear to be far easier on the discs than the OEM brembo pads.”

100% agree, great feedback and info after 10k’s miles! And no dust, I will remind everyone.

McLovin

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Syracuse
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Nice write-up. One thing you may want to check. The pads tend to wear a bit unevenly...meaning you'll have much more pad on the trailing edge than you will on the leading edge of the pad. So you may want to take a peek at the bottom of the pads.

That being said, it looks like you have lots of meat left on top, but just don't go solely off of the top to determine when to swap them. (Don't ask how I know).

Last edited:
OP
why2kmax

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
Nice write-up. One thing you may want to check. The pads tend to wear a bit unevenly...meaning you'll have much more pad on the trailing edge than you will on the leading edge of the pad. So you may want to take a peek at the bottom of the pads.

That being said, it looks like you have lots of meat left on top, but just go solely off of the top to determine when to swap them. (Don't ask how I know).
Im glad you said something. I checked and you are indeed correct, there is noticeably more wear on the bottom of the pad. Fortunately the squeelers are on the bottom so Id have had some warning but Id like to change them out before that ever gets close.
Thanks again for the heads up!!!!

USMC Gunny

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tucson
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
Good to know, I just put the same tire setup on mine.