Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How much wheel weight is acceptable?

Blown7

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Woodstock
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Trackhawk
On aircraft tires we have a Red Dot we align with the valve stem which is the lightest part of the tire.
Then again it's not as simple as all that...DOT new wheels and tires have the transponder to add weight to the valve side.

As for spending a 1/2 hour a tire to balance to the best practices will anyone want to pay for a 1/2 hour of shop time per tire?

Plus on aircraft tires than can run to 170 MPH we don't even static or dynamic balance unless a pilot reports severe vibration that hardly ever happens.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
As for spending a 1/2 hour a tire to balance to the best practices will anyone want to pay for a 1/2 hour of shop time per tire?.
To me, that would be preferable compared to spending 10 minutes per tire three times, and still not have good balance.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Just so you know, for Drag Radials Mickey Thompson will warranty them if they exceed 1% weight required. So for a 35 pound tire that is 5.6 oz. Most others it's 2%.

Also I have balance quite a few wheels with just the TPMS sensor and they usually take 2.50 oz clocked 180 deg from the sensor.

I had two Nitto 305/45R18 NT555R's mounted on rims that were zero balanced and they took .25 and .5 oz. So if the rims had not been zero balanced they they would have taken 2-3 oz no matter how they were clocked.

I have read a lot about the dots and that is fine. But for a custom balance you could mark the tire every 90 deg and try all 4 clockings and use the best one. Guys have done this for me in the past.

The Discount tire near me uses road force balance for everything now as best practice. In fact the control systems on the balancers are locked in this mode and need a specific code entered that only the manager has to use any other mode. Ask me how I know.........

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
None,,, like wow much sex is enough??? Nun, I went to catholic Battbst military academy. Whew wants to ouch that literally. Not a sexual involvement. Just harassment for 3 years for solacements, diving and 3 years of swimming. Coached by the 1995 Olympics coach. He couldn't swim or dive. Totally scared of water.

Adrenaline Rush

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Windham
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
22 Charger Hellcat Redeye
I often find that the wheel and tire with the most weights on it has the lowest road force numbers.
Yes, it's nice to see a minimum of weights, but to me the amount of weight it takes to get a perfect balance is irrelevant.
Second this.Seen it multiple times.

Ricky Racer

U.S. Army Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vancouver
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018, dodge demon
just pulled all these weights off my weld 17” single bead locks With no tpms. I think they got carried away with the weights. Going with the crimp on the lip style weights this time, tired of scraping all that glue off. 1.1 pound of weight is crazy!

Attachments

Last edited: