Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How much oil really… track results

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Sounds like you’re prepping us for a for sale add 🤔
I got it changed after every event and practice before.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Not our engines by a long shot, but interesting.

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #103
So hot oil for the W. His test was still garbage though. I’m talking about a dead cold engine and oil, not just cold oil. If you go for a short trip and shut the car off it’s not all going to go to the pan. Pretty flawed test imo, but yeah- you get more out with hot oil

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Rick Crying 0904.jpg

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #105
HOT. It’s hot.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Ummmm, I don't trust anyone that runs a Fram filter on their car :ROFLMAO:

I do change my oil when it's hot though, but not letting it drain for an hour much less 24. Finally found someone with more time on their hands than me.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
20w-50 VR1 will be what I use in my built engine. 7qts. because the parasitic drag or weight reduction of 1 qt will show nothing in our cars. but starving the vital engine components of oil, will drastically reduce engine life.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Not our engines by a long shot, but interesting.

Like said not our engine but still could be close. Once it starts dripping I'm done, not waiting an hour or more. 100 mils is not much. On an oil change you have 6,622 mils, are you really worried about 100-150 mils? Other then winter it will be warmer then 45 degrees so it will flow better. I think way to much thought is put in by some doing an oil change, not rocket science

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Like said not our engine but still could be close. Once it starts dripping I'm done, not waiting an hour or more. 100 mils is not much. On an oil change you have 6,622 mils, are you really worried about 100-150 mils? Other then winter it will be warmer then 45 degrees so it will flow better. I think way to much thought is put in by some doing an oil change, not rocket science

It's only ~2%, but it's some of the dirtiest oil in there???

I take the time to do other things, there's always something that needs polishing... :unsure:

:whistle:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
It's only ~2%, but it's some of the dirtiest oil in there???

I take the time to do other things, there's always something that needs polishing... :unsure:

:whistle:
That is whole other discussion. Any contaminates that have settled on the bottom should be in the first oil that comes out so the last is the cleanest since it was on top:unsure:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
That is whole other discussion. Any contaminates that have settled on the bottom should be in the first oil that comes out so the last is the cleanest since it was on top:unsure:

Not that my oil is "sludgy" by any means, but relatively speaking, the dirty oil sticks to the pan/bottom surfaces as it settles due to heavy particulates, I'm sure the stuff right by the drain gets sucked out, but the rest of the pan...?

Who knows, in my mind it's free effort...

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #112
Not that my oil is "sludgy" by any means, but relatively speaking, the dirty oil sticks to the pan/bottom surfaces as it settles due to heavy particulates, I'm sure the stuff right by the drain gets sucked out, but the rest of the pan...?

Who knows, in my mind it's free effort...
My oil comes out looking like syrup due to e85, it does not mesh well with the natural gas based oil

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
My oil comes out looking like syrup due to e85, it does not mesh well with the natural gas based oil
That's interesting. I've sent two oil analysis from my car off to Blackstone when running E85 just to see if anything was different, and no change in fuel dilution, water content, or anything else. I DID learn that running leaded race gas causes lead to build up in the oil though. I had run a few gallons (not many) of Renegade 110 (leaded) mixed with Renegade RM109 (unleaded) and the lead from the race fuel showed up in the analysis. Blackstone said it wasn't a big deal as long as you know where the lead is coming from and said older cars that run leaded fuel or a lead additive have lead readings in the thousands, mine was about 100ppm. It's now gone after a couple oil changes though since I started using E85 exclusively at the track.

OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #114
That's interesting. I've sent two oil analysis from my car off to Blackstone when running E85 just to see if anything was different, and no change in fuel dilution, water content, or anything else. I DID learn that running leaded race gas causes lead to build up in the oil though. I had run a few gallons (not many) of Renegade 110 (leaded) mixed with Renegade RM109 (unleaded) and the lead from the race fuel showed up in the analysis. Blackstone said it wasn't a big deal as long as you know where the lead is coming from and said older cars that run leaded fuel or a lead additive have lead readings in the thousands, mine was about 100ppm. It's now gone after a couple oil changes though since I started using E85 exclusively at the track.
I don’t run anything but e85, that might be it. Change it every 2-3k miles unless I’m racing. I’ll send a sample to black stone and my filter next change

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'm E85 95% of the time. I just switch to 93 for about half a tank once every couple months to keep the fuel system cleaned out. My buddy lost the motor in his Trackhawk from not keeping the fuel system cleaned up from E85 use FYI. Something sludged up caused the fuel system to clog and he went lean and poof.

He's in the Houston, TX area, so could be a case of YMMV in terms of E85 quality. Pictures showed red sludge in the fuel line.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I sent my oil in last year after 4k miles and no e85 found it in

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'm E85 95% of the time. I just switch to 93 for about half a tank once every couple months to keep the fuel system cleaned out. My buddy lost the motor in his Trackhawk from not keeping the fuel system cleaned up from E85 use FYI. Something sludged up caused the fuel system to clog and he went lean and poof.

He's in the Houston, TX area, so could be a case of YMMV in terms of E85 quality. Pictures showed red sludge in the fuel line.
Something odd going on with that. After running 6 months last year of only e85 I changed injectors and fuel rails and found nothing odd in my fuel lines

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Ethanol compatible fuel lines like PTFE are necessary to insure that doesn’t happen. I haven’t had anything but e90 in mine for years now. I think most of the aftermarket racing fuel lines are ok now but older rubber stuff isn’t. If your friend with the Trackhawk chose to save some money on those expensive braided lines and AN fittings and instead went with the more economical rubber stuff at the auto parts… he didn’t save any money. As far as ethanol in the oil goes… I get a ton of it. That’s why the 20w-50 oil. That’s because at 25 lbs boost and using a 2Step that pulls spark at full throttle, it’s getting by the rings. I know that doesn’t have anything to do with others here but as the boost goes up you’re going to want to be aware that it can be a issue.

Last edited:
OP
Unholy707

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #119
Ethanol compatible fuel lines like PTFE are necessary to insure that doesn’t happen. I haven’t had anything but e90 in mine for years now. I think most of the aftermarket racing fuel lines are ok now but older rubber stuff isn’t. If your friend with the Trackhawk chose to save some money on those expensive braided lines and AN fittings and instead went with the more economical rubber stuff at the auto parts… he didn’t save any money. As far as ethanol in the oil goes… I get a ton of it. That’s why the 20w-50 oil. That’s because at 25 lbs boost and using a 2Step that pulls spark at full throttle, it’s getting by the rings. I know that doesn’t have anything to do with others here but as the boost goes up you’re going to want to be aware that it can be a issue.
Yep, 100% washes the cylinders. I always drain out more than what I put in the car. It happens with lots of cars, stock these are loose engines (I know yours is far from stock)

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I run E80-85 100% of the time. I send my oil out to Blackstone for analysis and it never comes back with fuel in the oil but I do notice the longer I run the oil my oil pressure drops about 5 psi at WOR, change the oil and it back up to 70-72 psi at WOT (maybe 1000 hard mikes on the oil) Something is thinning it out. Blackstone oil tests do not show a viscosity problem either. This next oil change I’m going to try Mobil 1 15W50 verses the 5W50 Amsoil Signature Synthetic I’ve been running. Mobil 1 15W50 tests very close to Valvoline VR 20W50 at 100 C but has better cold start flow abilities as the VR is like syrup when cold.

69F9E40D-9F81-49FE-A23F-5D7CB01ED9DD.gif